• Radio Shack Armatron Article

From mudd-shark@hotmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 13 14:23:54 2016
    On Wednesday, June 13, 2001 at 12:45:46 PM UTC-4, RF wrote:
    A few years ago Radio Shack sold an articulated arm as a toy. There was
    an article in either Radio Electronics or Popular Electronics magazine
    on converting it from a single motor to multiple motors.
    Does anyone know where I can get a reprint of that article?
    --
    Rocky Firth

Yes I built one for my final project at DeVry....I used a Vic20 and an 8 bit to 16 bit decoder and had to build gear boxes and motors to replace the single planetary gear...I still have whats left of it and I know I have the magazine somewhere lol...It
    worked but kept popping transistors I tried to switch to relays but the Vic had a pulsed output that wouldn't trip the relays.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From wheagy@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 13 16:54:31 2016

Yes I built one for my final project at DeVry....I used a Vic20 and an 8 bit to 16 bit decoder and had to build gear boxes and motors to replace the single planetary gear...I still have whats left of it and I know I have the magazine somewhere lol...
    It worked but kept popping transistors I tried to switch to relays but the Vic had a pulsed output that wouldn't trip the relays.

Ha...I made a PCB from that article for a university project too (around 1995) and kept blowing transistors. I ran out of time in the term and never did get it debugged. There must have been a bug in the PCB layout. I think I have it around here
    somewhere too, but no idea where.

Win

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From BobH@21:1/5 to mudd-shark@hotmail.com on Sun Mar 13 19:48:23 2016
    On 03/13/2016 02:23 PM, mudd-shark@hotmail.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, June 13, 2001 at 12:45:46 PM UTC-4, RF wrote:
    A few years ago Radio Shack sold an articulated arm as a toy. There was
    an article in either Radio Electronics or Popular Electronics magazine
    on converting it from a single motor to multiple motors.
    Does anyone know where I can get a reprint of that article?
    --
    Rocky Firth

Yes I built one for my final project at DeVry....I used a Vic20 and an 8 bit to 16 bit decoder and had to build gear boxes and motors to replace the single
    planetary gear...I still have whats left of it and I know I have the magazine somewhere lol...It worked but kept popping transistors I tried to switch to relays but the Vic had a pulsed output that wouldn't trip the relays.

It looks like it was Radio Electronics: http://www.americanradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Consumer/Archive-Radio-Electronics-IDX/search.cgi?zoom_sort=0&zoom_xml=0&zoom_query=Armatron&zoom_cat[]=-1&zoom_per_page=10

That site: http://www.americanradiohistory.com has a great collection of
    old magazines. They have Popular Electronics too.

BobH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05