• QuarkXpress 2016

From Velochicdunord@21:1/5 to Fishface on Mon Oct 31 12:19:56 2016
    On Saturday, October 29, 2016 at 6:59:26 PM UTC-5, Fishface wrote:
    I just upgraded my personal (Windows) copy of QuarkXpress version 4.x because they let me
    upgrade this 19 year old software for $350. I have wrestled with various versions at work on
    the Mac, but I have to say, this version is quite impressive. Unfortunately, the Mac Pro 1,1
    at work won't run it with Snow Leopard, and officially can't be upgraded past Lion, so we're
    stuck at version 9.1.

I found an ad on craigslist which teases at a solution for upgrading this old but good running
    dual Xeon beast to El Capitan. What do you think, is it worth doing? I have an old ATI HD 4870
    already that I could flash. Here's the link to the ad:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/sys/5821171105.html

What do you think?

And where did everyone go? Is usenet about dead? To which web forums do you people
    subscribe? I have the Quark and Adobe, but what else am I missing? I tried a web search for
    "Del Tree" but all I find is old stuff. It's ok to reply months or years later, I'll see it, and I won't
    even have to scroll down!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Fishface@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 29 16:59:19 2016
    I just upgraded my personal (Windows) copy of QuarkXpress version 4.x because they let me
    upgrade this 19 year old software for $350. I have wrestled with various versions at work on
    the Mac, but I have to say, this version is quite impressive. Unfortunately, the Mac Pro 1,1
    at work won't run it with Snow Leopard, and officially can't be upgraded past Lion, so we're
    stuck at version 9.1.

I found an ad on craigslist which teases at a solution for upgrading this old but good running
    dual Xeon beast to El Capitan. What do you think, is it worth doing? I have an old ATI HD 4870

What do you think?

And where did everyone go? Is usenet about dead? To which web forums do you people
    subscribe? I have the Quark and Adobe, but what else am I missing? I tried a web search for
    "Del Tree" but all I find is old stuff. It's ok to reply months or years later, I'll see it, and I won't

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Velochicdunord@21:1/5 to Fishface on Mon Oct 31 12:31:38 2016
    On Saturday, October 29, 2016 at 6:59:26 PM UTC-5, Fishface wrote:
    stuck at version 9.1.

What do you think?

Unless one has significant means to update Quark's programmatic interfaces - and it's ability to produce pre-press compliant PDFs for print, it's dead.

The real driver for InDesign is process automation - how can you automate the production tools, what can you port over to other projects once the first design pass is complete. Can you get your colour palettes out for illustrator and web-based projects,
    can you do database-driven digital printing, etc.

For non-InDesign based projects, my fallback now is Scribus (https://www.scribus.net/), the open source page layout package. I use this with Inkscape and GIMP and get some pretty decent results out of it. Documentation automation is being driven by
    software sector needs - haven't dropped in to check on it yet.

Fallback for pro use is Adobe - but if you're working on a budget and know what you're doing, you can get really good results out of the open source packages.

My area of interest is currently automating conversion and download of web-based materials to print (where needed).

And Usenet? It depends on the user forum. I'm still in touch with two interest communities that started there. One has gone to Facebook and the other has most recently kinda-ported to Slack.

Hope that helps,

Shirley Hicks

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ian Partridge@21:1/5 to Fishface on Tue Nov 1 18:31:39 2016
    "Fishface" <fishface@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:nv3d44$icu$1@dont-email.me...
    I just upgraded my personal (Windows) copy of QuarkXpress version 4.x
    because they let me
    the Mac, but I have to say, this version is quite impressive.
    Unfortunately, the Mac Pro 1,1
    at work won't run it with Snow Leopard, and officially can't be upgraded
    past Lion, so we're
    stuck at version 9.1.
    I found an ad on craigslist which teases at a solution for upgrading this
    old but good running
    dual Xeon beast to El Capitan. What do you think, is it worth doing? I
    have an old ATI HD 4870

What do you think?

And where did everyone go? Is usenet about dead? To which web forums do
    you people
    subscribe? I have the Quark and Adobe, but what else am I missing? I
    tried a web search for

I, too, miss reading the contributions from the pre-press experts on usenet
    and I always got excellent advice to my questions from Del Tree and the
    others on this newsgroup.

I believe that newsgroups were suppressed by internet service providers throttling the download from news servers and then ceasing to provide their
    own news server service.

Ian

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05