• Multi-frame enhanced MR

From Denise Case@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 3 15:23:59 2020
    Hello,

I am new to this group. I don't have a background in DICOM. I am an imaging technologist with a research group. We have a new MR scanner that is forcing the use of enhanced MR images. Currently while exporting, the images are not transferring to PACS
    as multi-frame but rather single frame.

Would any of you be able to help me understand how to mitigate this issue? Maybe educate me on SOPs, frames, UIDs, dimension modules, and other items pertaining to image acquisition and transfer?

Thank you,
    Denise C

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Victor Derks@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 4 06:36:23 2020
    Hi Denise,

2 DICOM systems can negotiate how to transfer data (images, reports, etc.). The sending system can ask the receiving system what its capabilities are. The term used to describe capabilities in DICOM is SOP (Service Object Pair).

MR images can be sent 1 by 1 from the MR modality to the PACS or as 1 single Enhanced MR image. In this case all images are packed in a single file as a multi frame.
    Sending the images as 1 Enhanced MR has several benefits:
    - better transmission performance, easier to store for the PACS system
    -The possibility to describe more MR parameters in standard DICOM (instead of vendor specific extensions).

Most MR modalities can fallback to non-enhanced MR when the PACS systems indicates that it does not support receiving Enhanced MR.
    Depending on your PACS this is a configuration setting, or a capability that your version of your PACS software cannot handle at the moment.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)