• Problem with reading DICOM data

From Hussam Jassim@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 28 21:11:08 2021
    Dear all,
    Good morning,

I have two image DICOM files, and I am trying to convert them to another format. One of them works and it is smoothly converted to the required format, but fo the another one there is popup with '' there is no DICOM data'',

Is there any suggestion to deal with this problem?

Yours sincerely

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From guiothomas@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 30 02:41:12 2021
    Le mardi 29 juin 2021 à 06:11:10 UTC+2, husja...@gmail.com a écrit :
    Dear all,
    Good morning,

I have two image DICOM files, and I am trying to convert them to another format. One of them works and it is smoothly converted to the required format, but fo the another one there is popup with '' there is no DICOM data'',

Yours sincerely
    What tool do you use for the conversion ?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hussam Jassim@21:1/5 to guiot...@gmail.com on Wed Jun 30 06:41:57 2021
    On Wednesday, 30 June 2021 at 14:11:13 UTC+4:30, guiot...@gmail.com wrote:
    Le mardi 29 juin 2021 à 06:11:10 UTC+2, husja...@gmail.com a écrit :
    Dear all,
    Good morning,

Yours sincerely

Thank you for your prompt reply,

I use the Computational Environment for Radiological Research (CERR). Actually, DICOM file that is exported from CT simulator is imported without problems, but DICOM-RT that contains CT, RT struct, RT plan and RT dose does not imported and I have the
    problem mentioned above.

Yours sincerely

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From guiothomas@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 30 07:48:13 2021
    Le mercredi 30 juin 2021 à 15:41:59 UTC+2, husja...@gmail.com a écrit :
    Dear all,
    Good morning,

Yours sincerely

I use the Computational Environment for Radiological Research (CERR). Actually, DICOM file that is exported from CT simulator is imported without problems, but DICOM-RT that contains CT, RT struct, RT plan and RT dose does not imported and I have the
    problem mentioned above.

Yours sincerely
    Not sure I can help as I've never used CERR. If you can find any more detailed logs about this error, that would be helpful.

From the top of my head, I know some RT-related software export DICOM without the preamble, and some softwares don't like that. Check whether the DICOM data you're trying to import does contain a preamble or not (using a hexadecimal viewer/editor, for
    instance)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hussam Jassim@21:1/5 to guiot...@gmail.com on Wed Jun 30 11:14:23 2021
    On Wednesday, 30 June 2021 at 19:18:14 UTC+4:30, guiot...@gmail.com wrote:
    Le mercredi 30 juin 2021 à 15:41:59 UTC+2, husja...@gmail.com a écrit :
    Dear all,
    Good morning,

Yours sincerely

problem mentioned above.

Yours sincerely
    Not sure I can help as I've never used CERR. If you can find any more detailed logs about this error, that would be helpful.

From the top of my head, I know some RT-related software export DICOM without the preamble, and some softwares don't like that. Check whether the DICOM data you're trying to import does contain a preamble or not (using a hexadecimal viewer/editor, for
    instance)

There is only popup with this comment (there is no DICOM data) and only one time I received the logs about the error as in the links below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EIWqb91uhK-IeCHWxfYwjCRWO3TFEHzP/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YLaUVECHeJWgXOyYYTS_hJvq452Zj_ZT/view?usp=sharing

Yours sincerely

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From guiothomas@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 30 11:48:02 2021
    Le mercredi 30 juin 2021 à 20:14:25 UTC+2, husja...@gmail.com a écrit :
    Dear all,
    Good morning,

Yours sincerely

I use the Computational Environment for Radiological Research (CERR). Actually, DICOM file that is exported from CT simulator is imported without problems, but DICOM-RT that contains CT, RT struct, RT plan and RT dose does not imported and I have
    the problem mentioned above.

Yours sincerely

From the top of my head, I know some RT-related software export DICOM without the preamble, and some softwares don't like that. Check whether the DICOM data you're trying to import does contain a preamble or not (using a hexadecimal viewer/editor,
    for instance)
    There is only popup with this comment (there is no DICOM data) and only one time I received the logs about the error as in the links below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EIWqb91uhK-IeCHWxfYwjCRWO3TFEHzP/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YLaUVECHeJWgXOyYYTS_hJvq452Zj_ZT/view?usp=sharing

Yours sincerely
    from a quick look at the CERR source code, it looks like it relies on dcm4che library to determine whether files in the folder are indeed DICOM files or not. I'm not sure if dcm4che accepts the obsolete DICOM without any preamble.
    In any case, files that are not recognized as proper dicom are simply removed from the list of files, and if none are recognized as DICOM, it just turns up like an empty folder, and you get this popup message.

so the files in your folder are not recognized as dicom, and probably because they're missing the preamble, or there's a mistake in the meta data.

you could use dcmtk precompiled binaries like dcmdump.exe to have a look at those files and see if there's anything wrong.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hussam Jassim@21:1/5 to guiot...@gmail.com on Fri Jul 2 14:10:51 2021
    On Wednesday, 30 June 2021 at 23:18:04 UTC+4:30, guiot...@gmail.com wrote:
    Le mercredi 30 juin 2021 à 20:14:25 UTC+2, husja...@gmail.com a écrit :
    Dear all,
    Good morning,

Yours sincerely

I use the Computational Environment for Radiological Research (CERR). Actually, DICOM file that is exported from CT simulator is imported without problems, but DICOM-RT that contains CT, RT struct, RT plan and RT dose does not imported and I have
    the problem mentioned above.

Yours sincerely

From the top of my head, I know some RT-related software export DICOM without the preamble, and some softwares don't like that. Check whether the DICOM data you're trying to import does contain a preamble or not (using a hexadecimal viewer/editor,
    for instance)

Yours sincerely
    from a quick look at the CERR source code, it looks like it relies on dcm4che library to determine whether files in the folder are indeed DICOM files or not. I'm not sure if dcm4che accepts the obsolete DICOM without any preamble.
    In any case, files that are not recognized as proper dicom are simply removed from the list of files, and if none are recognized as DICOM, it just turns up like an empty folder, and you get this popup message.

so the files in your folder are not recognized as dicom, and probably because they're missing the preamble, or there's a mistake in the meta data.

you could use dcmtk precompiled binaries like dcmdump.exe to have a look at those files and see if there's anything wrong.

Tank you for your clarification,

Actually, it seems to be that the file was no recognized because the modality tag was defined as OT, so by reexporting with modifying the the modality tag to the RT study, the DICOM was imported and now it works.

Yours sincerely

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05