• Different Image Type values within a single series

From Mathieu Malaterre@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 17 09:09:34 2021
    I received a simple FLAIR series from SIEMENS. Upon trying to convert the 27 legacy MR Image Storage instances (Enhanced Multi-Frame Image Conversion), I discovered that instance #14 has the following Image Type value:

(0008,0008) CS [ORIGINAL\SECONDARY\GSP\NORM\DIS2D] # 34, 5 ImageType

while all the others:

(0008,0008) CS [ORIGINAL\PRIMARY\M\NORM\DIS2D] # 30, 5 ImageType

My understanding was that different Image Type value meant pretty much different Acquisition Number value (happen all the time for US).

Are SIEMENS engineers correct in their understanding of the standard, and it is legal to change the Image Type value while at the same time imply the single continuous gathering of data over a period of time ?

Thanks,

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From ra.corredor@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Mathieu Malaterre on Fri Mar 19 01:21:14 2021
    Bonjour Matthieu,

Did I get it right that you found a different instance of the series with a different ImageType value?

If that is the case, this is indeed a bit weird. May I ask from which scanner model (and Software version if you have it)? Is this coming from a WIP package maybe? From what I know, it is true that this is set at the series level so should not have
    different values. Also, usually in the Siemens jargon, the SECONDARY images come as a result of a particular post-processing step.

Maybe I can gather some info about this.

Bonne journée,

Ricardo
    Siemens Research Engineer
    RaC

On Wednesday, March 17, 2021 at 5:09:36 PM UTC+1, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
    I received a simple FLAIR series from SIEMENS. Upon trying to convert the 27 legacy MR Image Storage instances (Enhanced Multi-Frame Image Conversion), I discovered that instance #14 has the following Image Type value:

while all the others:

My understanding was that different Image Type value meant pretty much different Acquisition Number value (happen all the time for US).

Are SIEMENS engineers correct in their understanding of the standard, and it is legal to change the Image Type value while at the same time imply the single continuous gathering of data over a period of time ?

Thanks,

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?J=C3=B6rg_Riesmeier?=@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 19 02:50:58 2021
    Hi Mathieu,

while all the others:

Image Type (0008,0008) is defined as part of the Image IE, e.g. in the General Image Module or the MR Image Module. Why do you think it should be part of the Series IE?

[...] and it is legal to change the Image Type value while at the same time imply the single continuous gathering of data over a period of time ?

The latter seems to be extracted from the description of the Acquisition Number (0020,0012) attribute, which is also defined on Image level.

Regards,
    Jörg

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05