• DICOM / FHIR interface: where to begin?

From Stacy Maimoon@21:1/5 to All on Mon Feb 22 01:43:22 2021
    I am standing quite at the beginning of a project the content of which is to create service(s) enabling DICOM against FHIR interoperability.

Roughly, a DICOM application should be enabled to send scalar data (patient, study, series, instance) as well as the images themselves to a FHIR server using the service that has to perform all the necessary mappings. This is the first approximation of
    the use case.

I am also quite at the bottom point of the general FHIR learning curve , which is steep, and I prefer learning by doing.

Does anyone have experience with some similar project? I would appreciate all advice of where to best start, just not to invent wheels and to get some working model / prototype to play with and to better understand things.

Once upon a time I implemented a HL7 V2 interface for a DICOM application , so I am quite at home with HL7 V2, and I also know how WADO works.

TIA.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From SpreadTooThin@21:1/5 to Stacy Maimoon on Mon Feb 22 11:40:24 2021
    On Monday, February 22, 2021 at 2:43:24 AM UTC-7, Stacy Maimoon wrote:
    I am standing quite at the beginning of a project the content of which is to create service(s) enabling DICOM against FHIR interoperability.

Roughly, a DICOM application should be enabled to send scalar data (patient, study, series, instance) as well as the images themselves to a FHIR server using the service that has to perform all the necessary mappings. This is the first approximation of
    the use case.

I am also quite at the bottom point of the general FHIR learning curve , which is steep, and I prefer learning by doing.

Does anyone have experience with some similar project? I would appreciate all advice of where to best start, just not to invent wheels and to get some working model / prototype to play with and to better understand things.

Once upon a time I implemented a HL7 V2 interface for a DICOM application , so I am quite at home with HL7 V2, and I also know how WADO works.

TIA.

I would join one of the HL7 Workgroups for FHIR and define your xml schema etc with them.
    http://www.hl7.org/special/committees/index.cfm

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bbialecki@acr.org@21:1/5 to SpreadTooThin on Tue Feb 23 04:27:22 2021
    On Monday, February 22, 2021 at 2:40:26 PM UTC-5, SpreadTooThin wrote:

Roughly, a DICOM application should be enabled to send scalar data (patient, study, series, instance) as well as the images themselves to a FHIR server using the service that has to perform all the necessary mappings. This is the first approximation
    of the use case.

TIA.
    I would join one of the HL7 Workgroups for FHIR and define your xml schema etc with them.
    http://www.hl7.org/special/committees/index.cfm
    I have been working on a similar project and there is now an approved FHIR Work Item for ImagingSelection that the FHIR II and DICOM WG20 group is starting work on that I believe would be right in line with what you may be interested in. This falls in
    line with the expanded use cases that ImagingStudy does not cover, but the two are both working together and I think if you could share your use case with the group it would be helpful to ensure this resource as well as some of the DICOM SR to FHIR
    mapping being done covers you.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Herman Oosterwijk@21:1/5 to bbia...@acr.org on Tue Feb 23 05:26:55 2021
    On Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 6:27:24 AM UTC-6, bbia...@acr.org wrote:
    On Monday, February 22, 2021 at 2:40:26 PM UTC-5, SpreadTooThin wrote:

Roughly, a DICOM application should be enabled to send scalar data (patient, study, series, instance) as well as the images themselves to a FHIR server using the service that has to perform all the necessary mappings. This is the first
    approximation of the use case.

Hi Stacy,

I would start with experimenting using one of the open source free FHIR servers such as the HAPI server to get hands-on experience.
    Just curious why images would be sent to your FHIR server. The key of using FHIR is that you get a refence to the image and than can pull them from the source where they reside without having to move them around.

Herman O.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Herman Oosterwijk@21:1/5 to Herman Oosterwijk on Tue Feb 23 06:25:54 2021
    On Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 7:26:56 AM UTC-6, Herman Oosterwijk wrote:

Hi Stacy,

I forgot to mention, I created a comprehensive FHIR study guide which could be very useful, you can find it here: https://www.otechimg.com/product.cfm?prd=HL7%20FHIR%20Study%20Guide

Herman O.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05