• kerberos and web authentication

From Rita@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 13 07:10:42 2020
    I created a user keytab. I use curl to authenticate against a web server.
    `curl -u : --negotitate` it works randomly (about 33% accuracy). I am
    trying to figure out if its a webserver issue or kerberos issue. Is there anything else I can do?

--
    --- Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Benjamin Kaduk@21:1/5 to Rita on Fri Aug 21 16:30:47 2020
    Copy: kerberos@mit.edu

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 07:10:42AM -0400, Rita wrote:
    I created a user keytab. I use curl to authenticate against a web server. `curl -u : --negotitate` it works randomly (about 33% accuracy). I am
    trying to figure out if its a webserver issue or kerberos issue. Is there anything else I can do?

There's (at least) a couple things that can come into play for this sort of scenario (not least because HTTP Negotiate violates some fundamental assumptions about message- vs. connection-oriented):

Does the web server's hostname have multiple IP addresses in the DNS? (Is reverse DNS used for principal canonicalization by the krb5 library? The default is "yes" in many versions.)

Does the web server have a pool of backend servers behind a load balancer?

-Ben

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rita@21:1/5 to Benjamin Kaduk on Fri Aug 21 20:04:24 2020

hi

The webserver has DNS aliases but not multiple IPs. On a client level is it possible to disable the reverse lookup? I am not sure if its backed up a
    pool of servers -- is there a way to find out from a client?

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 7:30 PM Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> wrote:

I created a user keytab. I use curl to authenticate against a web server. `curl -u : --negotitate` it works randomly (about 33% accuracy). I am trying to figure out if its a webserver issue or kerberos issue. Is there anything else I can do?

There's (at least) a couple things that can come into play for this sort of scenario (not least because HTTP Negotiate violates some fundamental assumptions about message- vs. connection-oriented):

Does the web server's hostname have multiple IP addresses in the DNS? (Is reverse DNS used for principal canonicalization by the krb5 library? The default is "yes" in many versions.)

-Ben

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Benjamin Kaduk@21:1/5 to Rita on Fri Aug 21 19:24:04 2020

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 08:04:24PM -0400, Rita wrote:
    hi

The webserver has DNS aliases but not multiple IPs. On a client level is it

(temporarily) forcing the name to resolve to just a single IP, e.g., via /etc/hosts, would be one possible diagnostic measure.

possible to disable the reverse lookup? I am not sure if its backed up a

See the 'rdns' keyword at http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/krb5-latest/doc/admin/conf_files/krb5_conf.html#libdefaults

pool of servers -- is there a way to find out from a client?

In general, no; one can make inferences from careful inspection of response headers, request/response timing for exchanges that require server-side
    state, and the like, but it may require some expertise to interpret the results.

-Ben

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 7:30 PM Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> wrote:

I created a user keytab. I use curl to authenticate against a web server. `curl -u : --negotitate` it works randomly (about 33% accuracy). I am trying to figure out if its a webserver issue or kerberos issue. Is there anything else I can do?

-Ben

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05