• Re: kdb5_util-1.15.1: Invalid argument while making newly loaded databa

From Ken Hornstein@21:1/5 to rachit chokshi on Mon Mar 4 10:55:53 2024
    Copy: kerberos@mit.edu

We have a setup where the kerberos database (db2) is hosted on an NFS
    server. There are multiple KDC servers each mounting the NFS share and >serving traffic.

I have to say up front that it is generally agreed that putting any database file on a NFS filesystem is a bad idea. Also, it kind of sounds like
    your multiple KDCs are serving the SAME database file? If so, THAT is
    a huge problem!

kdb5_util: Cannot open DB2 database >'/var/kerberos/krb5kdc_shared/principal~': Invalid >argument while deleting >bad database /var/kerberos/krb5kdc_shared/principal

I am looking at newer Kerberos code, so perhaps this has changed, but
    that error comes from krb5_db_destroy() failing. For DB2, that ends
    up calling krb5_db2_destroy(). That function does a lot of things,
    and it's hard at a glance to figure out which part of it is failing; I
    suspect the only way to figure out what is going wrong there is to build
    a version of Kerberos with full debugging symbols and set a breakpoint
    on krb5_db2_destroy(). I have a strong suspicion that the database file
    is getting corrupted in a such a way that the other routines cannot
    recover, and that's likely due to the use of NFS (especially if multiple
    KDCs are using the same database file).

--Ken

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Brent Kimberley@21:1/5 to Ken Hornstein on Mon Mar 4 17:01:05 2024
    To: rachitchokshi@gmail.com (rachit chokshi)
    Copy: kerberos@mit.edu (kerberos@mit.edu)

A message queue is typically a better way to synchronize a cluster.
    The bonus is that you can track adds, deletes, and modifies via historian.
    Anchors in Relative Time!?

-----Original Message-----
    From: Kerberos <kerberos-bounces@mit.edu> On Behalf Of Ken Hornstein via Kerberos
    Sent: Monday, March 4, 2024 10:56 AM
    To: rachit chokshi <rachitchokshi@gmail.com>
    Cc: kerberos@mit.edu
    Subject: Re: kdb5_util-1.15.1: Invalid argument while making newly loaded database live

[You don't often get email from kerberos@mit.edu. Learn why this is important at https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification ]

We have a setup where the kerberos database (db2) is hosted on an NFS
    server. There are multiple KDC servers each mounting the NFS share and >serving traffic.

I have to say up front that it is generally agreed that putting any database file on a NFS filesystem is a bad idea. Also, it kind of sounds like your multiple KDCs are serving the SAME database file? If so, THAT is a huge problem!

kdb5_util: Cannot open DB2 database >'/var/kerberos/krb5kdc_shared/principal~': Invalid >argument while
    deleting bad database /var/kerberos/krb5kdc_shared/principal

I am looking at newer Kerberos code, so perhaps this has changed, but that error comes from krb5_db_destroy() failing. For DB2, that ends up calling krb5_db2_destroy(). That function does a lot of things, and it's hard at a glance to figure out which
    part of it is failing; I suspect the only way to figure out what is going wrong there is to build a version of Kerberos with full debugging symbols and set a breakpoint on krb5_db2_destroy(). I have a strong suspicion that the database file is getting
    corrupted in a such a way that the other routines cannot recover, and that's likely due to the use of NFS (especially if multiple KDCs are using the same database file).

--Ken
    THIS MESSAGE IS FOR THE USE OF THE INTENDED RECIPIENT(S) ONLY AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, PROPRIETARY, CONFIDENTIAL, AND/OR EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER ANY RELEVANT PRIVACY LEGISLATION. No rights to any privilege have been waived. If
    you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, re-transmission, dissemination, distribution, copying, conversion to hard copy, taking of action in reliance on or other use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you
    are not the intended recipient and have received this message in error, please notify me by return e-mail and delete or destroy all copies of this message.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)