• RE: Question about Windows S4U support

From JianJun Li@21:1/5 to Ken Hornstein on Thu Nov 9 01:36:11 2023
    Copy: kerberos@mit.edu (kerberos@mit.edu)

Thank you Ken for the valuable feedback.

I'm using latest version V1.21 with its default backend DB. After the test, if all works, I will try the combination MIT KDC + OpenLDAP then.

There are not so much available materials I can refer to like my case. Sometimes I really doubt Windows S4U API may be not completely compatible with MIT KDC, but based on current investigation, I still can't draw any conclusions. That's why I post
    comments here.

Regards
    Jianjun Li

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Thursday, November 9, 2023 3:17 AM
    To: JianJun Li <jjli@rocketsoftware.com>
    Cc: kerberos@mit.edu
    Subject: Re: Question about Windows S4U support

EXTERNAL EMAIL

I am DEFINITELY not an expert in S4U* nor Windows APIs, but I have looked into this a BIT and I can give you some thoughts.

Now we wants to switch from Windows AD to MIT KDC. Currently windows
    can be authenticated by MIT KDC without any problem but Windows API >LSALogonUser() in our application fails.

It should be noted that up front that there are some caveats to MIT Kerberos S4U support. The specific one that I am aware of is that you cannot use the db2 database (the default) as the KDC backend; you need to use the LDAP KDB module and configure a
    special attribute called "krbAllowedToDelegateTo" to configure a service principal to permit S4U2Self. I am not sure this is relevant to this discussion though.

Nov 03 14:01:40 niuniu krb5kdc[13724](info): TGS_REQ (5 etypes >{aes256-cts-hmac-sha1-96(18), aes128-cts-hmac-sha1-96(17), >DEPRECATED:arcfour-hmac(23), DEPRECATED:arcfour-hmac-exp(24), >UNSUPPORTED:(-135)}) 192.168.0.5: LOOKING_UP_SERVER: authtime 0, >host/win11client.mylab.com@MYLAB.COM<mailto:host/win11client.mylab.com@ >MYLAB.COM> for host\/win11client.mylab.com@MYLAB.COM, Server not found
    in Kerberos database

It's important to understand that INTERALLY Kerberos principals are represented as a sequence of one or more strings and a realm. So while you may see a principal in the form of "host/win11client@MYLAB.COM"
    that's just the user representation. Really that's encoded on the wire as the strings "host" and "win11client", and the realm MYLAB.COM. If MIT Kerberos is displaying that as "host\/win11client@MYLAB.COM", then that means it's getting ONE string for
    that principal that contains "host/win11client" (the '/' is the traditional separator for strings in a Kerberos principal). I have no idea why that is happening, but that suggests to me that there is some problem on the client side.

--Ken

================================
    Rocket Software, Inc. and subsidiaries ■ 77 Fourth Avenue, Waltham MA 02451 ■ Main Office Toll Free Number: +1 855.577.4323
    Contact Customer Support: https://my.rocketsoftware.com/RocketCommunity/RCEmailSupport
    Unsubscribe from Marketing Messages/Manage Your Subscription Preferences - http://www.rocketsoftware.com/manage-your-email-preferences
    Privacy Policy - http://www.rocketsoftware.com/company/legal/privacy-policy ================================

This communication and any attachments may contain confidential information of Rocket Software, Inc. All unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Rocket Software immediately and
    destroy all copies of this communication. Thank you.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Ken Hornstein@21:1/5 to JianJun Li on Wed Nov 8 14:16:43 2023
    Copy: kerberos@mit.edu (kerberos@mit.edu)

I am DEFINITELY not an expert in S4U* nor Windows APIs, but I have
    looked into this a BIT and I can give you some thoughts.

Now we wants to switch from Windows AD to MIT KDC. Currently windows
    can be authenticated by MIT KDC without any problem but Windows API >LSALogonUser() in our application fails.

It should be noted that up front that there are some caveats to MIT
    Kerberos S4U support. The specific one that I am aware of is that
    you cannot use the db2 database (the default) as the KDC backend;
    you need to use the LDAP KDB module and configure a special attribute
    called "krbAllowedToDelegateTo" to configure a service principal to
    permit S4U2Self. I am not sure this is relevant to this discussion
    though.

Nov 03 14:01:40 niuniu krb5kdc[13724](info): TGS_REQ (5 etypes {aes256-cts-hmac-sha1-96(18), aes128-cts-hmac-sha1-96(17), DEPRECATED:arcfour-hmac(23), DEPRECATED:arcfour-hmac-exp(24), UNSUPPORTED:(-135)}) 192.168.0.5: LOOKING_UP_SERVER: authtime 0,
    host/win11client.mylab.com@MYLAB.COM<mailto:host/win11client.mylab.com@MYLAB.COM> for host\/win11client.mylab.com@MYLAB.COM, Server not found in Kerberos database

It's important to understand that INTERALLY Kerberos principals are
    represented as a sequence of one or more strings and a realm. So while
    you may see a principal in the form of "host/win11client@MYLAB.COM"
    that's just the user representation. Really that's encoded on the wire
    as the strings "host" and "win11client", and the realm MYLAB.COM. If
    MIT Kerberos is displaying that as "host\/win11client@MYLAB.COM", then that means it's getting ONE string for that principal that contains "host/win11client" (the '/' is the traditional separator for strings
    in a Kerberos principal). I have no idea why that is happening, but
    that suggests to me that there is some problem on the client side.

--Ken

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JianJun Li@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 8 14:23:03 2023
    Hi everyone,

We have an application with Windows client + AD domain, for S4USelf, it works well.

In our application, it calls LSALogonUser() to impersonate a user which will use S4USelf by setting up Windows structure KERB_S4U_LOGON.

Now we wants to switch from Windows AD to MIT KDC. Currently windows can be authenticated by MIT KDC without any problem but Windows API LSALogonUser() in our application fails.

Problem 1:
    When LSALogonUser() is called, it has following error:

Nov 03 14:01:40 niuniu krb5kdc[13724](info): TGS_REQ (5 etypes {aes256-cts-hmac-sha1-96(18), aes128-cts-hmac-sha1-96(17), DEPRECATED:arcfour-hmac(23), DEPRECATED:arcfour-hmac-exp(24), UNSUPPORTED:(-135)}) 192.168.0.5: LOOKING_UP_SERVER: authtime 0, host/
    win11client.mylab.com@MYLAB.COM<mailto:host/win11client.mylab.com@MYLAB.COM> for host\/win11client.mylab.com@MYLAB.COM, Server not found in Kerberos database

In fact, principle "host/win11client.mylab.com@MYLAB.COM<mailto:host/win11client.mylab.com@MYLAB.COM>" exists. By Wireshark I can see Windows sends "host/win11client.mylab.com@MYLAB.COM<mailto:host/win11client.mylab.com@MYLAB.COM>" as sname, KDC
    converts the sname to host\/win11client.mylab.com@MYLAB.COM.
    I have a look at the code but find no parameters or setting can change this behavior.

Problem 2:
    Sometimes, AS-REQ and TGS-REQ are all ok in MIT KDC but on Windows, it reports this error in Windows Event Viewer after call LSALogonUser():

The digitally signed Privilege Attribute Certificate (PAC) that contains the authorization information for client user in realm MYLAB.COM could not be validated.
    This error is usually caused by domain trust failures; Contact your system administrator.

I also test "kvno -U user" on the same windows machine, and it works.

From MIT Kerberos document, I can see S4U can be supported. My question is that for S4U, does MIT KDC have interoperability with Windows API? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

I'm a newbie in Kerberos, thanks for your help!

Regards

Rocket Software, Inc. and subsidiaries ? 77 Fourth Avenue, Waltham MA 02451 ? Main Office Toll Free Number: +1 855.577.4323
    Contact Customer Support: https://my.rocketsoftware.com/RocketCommunity/RCEmailSupport
    Unsubscribe from Marketing Messages/Manage Your Subscription Preferences - http://www.rocketsoftware.com/manage-your-email-preferences
    Privacy Policy - http://www.rocketsoftware.com/company/legal/privacy-policy ================================

This communication and any attachments may contain confidential information of Rocket Software, Inc. All unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Rocket Software immediately and

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Greg Hudson@21:1/5 to JianJun Li on Thu Nov 9 17:43:50 2023
    To: kerberos@mit.edu (kerberos@mit.edu)

On 11/8/23 09:23, JianJun Li wrote:
    In fact, principle "host/win11client.mylab.com@MYLAB.COM" exists. By Wireshark I can see Windows sends "host/win11client.mylab.com@MYLAB.COM" as sname, KDC converts the sname to host\/win11client.mylab.com@MYLAB.COM.
    I have a look at the code but find no parameters or setting can change this behavior.

I can give a detailed but ultimately not very helpful answer:

As Ken explained in part, the wire representation of principals in
    Kerberos is the ASN.1 DER encoding of a name-type and a sequence of
    strings. Microsoft created a name type NT-ENTERPRISE which puts an email-address-like string in the first string element. When you see "host\/..." in your log, that is the MIT krb5 library's string
    representation of an NT-ENTERPRISE principal.

RFC 6806 section 5 describes this name type as conveying alias names, to
    be used in the client field of an AS-REQ to a KDC with a directory
    service that can map email addresses to canonical principal names.
    However, Microsoft's implementation now also uses this type in server
    names during under some circumstances, including some S4U operations.
    [MS-KILE] 3.3.5.1.1 defines semantics for server name lookup of
    NT-ENTERPRISE principals (in terms of underlying facilities specific to
    Active Directory); [MS-SFU] unfortunately does not seem to say precisely
    when they are used. I had thought they were only used for cross-realm
    S4U2Self operations where it is necessary to communicate the requesting service's realm to the client realm, but based on your log it sounds
    like they are also used for same-realm S4U2Self requests made by Windows clients.

Although MIT krb5 has S4U2Self and S4U2Proxy logic in the KDC code, it
    does not implement NT-ENTERPRISE lookup. The translation from
    NT-ENTERPRISE {"host/win11client.mylab.com@MYLAB.COM"} to NT-PRINCIPAL
    {"host", "win11client.mylab.com"} currently has to be done within the
    KDB layer, either by using an encompassing piece of software with a KDB
    module (such as Samba), or by setting up an explicit alias in the LDAP
    KDB module (the BDB and LMDB modules do not support aliases). I believe
    the situation could be improved by performing this translation within
    the KDC for TGS service lookups, but that improvement, although simple
    in concept, would require careful testing.

The digitally signed Privilege Attribute Certificate (PAC) that contains the authorization information for client user in realm MYLAB.COM could not be validated.
    This error is usually caused by domain trust failures; Contact your system administrator.

I don't know exactly what is causing this error on the Windows side,
    especially if it only happens some of the time. I will note that when
    used with any of the built-in KDB modules (BDB, LMDB, or LDAP), MIT
    krb5's KDC includes a minimal PAC with no SID or group information. Encompassing software such as Samba is required to supply a complete PAC
    within issued tickets. This limitation may be unrelated to the error
    given that the error does not always occur.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JianJun Li@21:1/5 to Greg Hudson on Fri Nov 10 09:21:44 2023
    To: kerberos@mit.edu (kerberos@mit.edu)

Thanks for the reply. One strange thing is that when Windows is using AD domain, sname doesn't have this format: host/win11client.mylab.com but win11client$. I have no idea what makes Windows have this difference.

For PAC validation error, I also can't get more detailed information from Windows logging what causes the validation failure.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Friday, November 10, 2023 6:44 AM
    To: JianJun Li <jjli@rocketsoftware.com>; kerberos@mit.edu
    Subject: Re: Question about Windows S4U support

EXTERNAL EMAIL

On 11/8/23 09:23, JianJun Li wrote:
    In fact, principle "host/win11client.mylab.com@MYLAB.COM" exists. By Wireshark I can see Windows sends "host/win11client.mylab.com@MYLAB.COM" as sname, KDC converts the sname to host\/win11client.mylab.com@MYLAB.COM.

I can give a detailed but ultimately not very helpful answer:

As Ken explained in part, the wire representation of principals in Kerberos is the ASN.1 DER encoding of a name-type and a sequence of strings. Microsoft created a name type NT-ENTERPRISE which puts an email-address-like string in the first string
    element. When you see "host\/..." in your log, that is the MIT krb5 library's string representation of an NT-ENTERPRISE principal.

RFC 6806 section 5 describes this name type as conveying alias names, to be used in the client field of an AS-REQ to a KDC with a directory service that can map email addresses to canonical principal names.
    However, Microsoft's implementation now also uses this type in server names during under some circumstances, including some S4U operations.
    [MS-KILE] 3.3.5.1.1 defines semantics for server name lookup of NT-ENTERPRISE principals (in terms of underlying facilities specific to Active Directory); [MS-SFU] unfortunately does not seem to say precisely when they are used. I had thought they were
    only used for cross-realm S4U2Self operations where it is necessary to communicate the requesting service's realm to the client realm, but based on your log it sounds like they are also used for same-realm S4U2Self requests made by Windows clients.

Although MIT krb5 has S4U2Self and S4U2Proxy logic in the KDC code, it does not implement NT-ENTERPRISE lookup. The translation from NT-ENTERPRISE {"host/win11client.mylab.com@MYLAB.COM"} to NT-PRINCIPAL {"host", "win11client.mylab.com"} currently has
    to be done within the KDB layer, either by using an encompassing piece of software with a KDB module (such as Samba), or by setting up an explicit alias in the LDAP KDB module (the BDB and LMDB modules do not support aliases). I believe the situation
    could be improved by performing this translation within the KDC for TGS service lookups, but that improvement, although simple in concept, would require careful testing.

I don't know exactly what is causing this error on the Windows side, especially if it only happens some of the time. I will note that when used with any of the built-in KDB modules (BDB, LMDB, or LDAP), MIT krb5's KDC includes a minimal PAC with no SID
    or group information.
    Encompassing software such as Samba is required to supply a complete PAC within issued tickets. This limitation may be unrelated to the error given that the error does not always occur.

Rocket Software, Inc. and subsidiaries ■ 77 Fourth Avenue, Waltham MA 02451 ■ Main Office Toll Free Number: +1 855.577.4323

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05