• Using an alternate principal for ssh

From Dan Mahoney@21:1/5 to All on Tue May 31 12:05:06 2022
    All,

In the dayjob, many apps default to the kerberos principal, and we'd like to make ssh (whether used with kinit and gssapi auth, or with a typed-password, via KerberosAuthentication, or PAM) use a different principal, say user/ssh@REALM, such that if you
    mistype your wiki password or your webmail password, you don't magically gain SSH access to All The Things?

On most of our boxes, ssh is the ONLY kerberized app, but there's no provision in krb5.conf to say what the default principal based on a username is. None of the PAM modules seem to be able to set it, either. I conjured up an elaborate way to do this
    by forcing the .k5logindir to be something the users couldn't touch, and forcing a create for each user, but this doesn't help the password case.

Does anyone know of a simple way to accomplish this? There are some clients, like mobile ones, where, VPN or no, kinit'ing is not an option.

-Dan

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Greg Hudson@21:1/5 to Dan Mahoney on Tue May 31 15:08:13 2022
    To: kerberos@mit.edu

On 5/31/22 12:05, Dan Mahoney wrote:
    On most of our boxes, ssh is the ONLY kerberized app, but there's no provision in krb5.conf to say what the default principal based on a username is. None of the PAM modules seem to be able to set it, either. I conjured up an elaborate way to do this
    by forcing the .k5logindir to be something the users couldn't touch, and forcing a create for each user, but this doesn't help the password case.

Does anyone know of a simple way to accomplish this? There are some clients, like mobile ones, where, VPN or no, kinit'ing is not an option.

The OpenSSH sshd code decides the principal name, not libkrb5. Looking
    at the OpenSSH auth-krb5.c, I don't think there's any configurability;
    it picks a principal name of
    authctxt->pw->pw_name (except on AIX), parses that, and calls krb5_get_init_creds_password().

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Carson Gaspar@21:1/5 to Dan Mahoney on Tue May 31 12:29:23 2022
    On 5/31/2022 9:05 AM, Dan Mahoney wrote:
    All,

In the dayjob, many apps default to the kerberos principal, and we'd like to make ssh (whether used with kinit and gssapi auth, or with a typed-password, via KerberosAuthentication, or PAM) use a different principal, say user/ssh@REALM, such that if
    you mistype your wiki password or your webmail password, you don't magically gain SSH access to All The Things?

Looking at pam_krb5, if you log in as user/ssh@REALM, it will use that principal and change the PAM user to the results of the krb5 localname
    mapping. You'd have to configure the localname mapping in krb5.conf (or
    an alternate config fragment just for sshd and set KRB5_CONFIG), and
    configure ssh to only allow users of the form */ssh@REALM to prevent
    users from logging in as just themselves. I haven't tested this, and I
    don't know if sshd will get grumpy if the PAM stack changes the user name.

The alternative would be to patch pam_krb5 to support a user_instance
    config option as well as user_realm. It would be a fairly small change,
    and I suspect Russ might approve it to go upstream.

I don't know how hard it would be to support changing the user name
    inside a match block in sshd_config (or if the maintainers would
    consider accepting such a PR), but that would be the other option I'd investigate.

--

Carson

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Carson Gaspar@21:1/5 to Jeffrey Hutzelman on Tue May 31 12:35:02 2022
    On 5/31/2022 12:16 PM, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
    That code should not actually used on a properly-configured PAM-based
    system. Typical configuration for such systems should enable UsePAM and KbdInteractiveAuthentication and disable PasswordAuthentication and ChallengeResponseAuthentication. This causes all password verification to
    go through PAM. Then all you need is a PAM module that can be configured to behave as you desire. I believe Russ Allbery's pam_krb5 has all the knobs
    you need.

I agree about the sshd config options, but looking at the source code
    for Russ's pam_krb5, I don't think it will work as-is without changing
    the username provided by the client (see my previous post).

For true Kerberos authentication (i.e. using Kerberos tickets, not a password), you can control which principals are allowed to log in as a user by means of the user's .k5login file.

Please, no - set up a localname mapping instead of trying to manage a
    bajilion k5login files. I was so happy when MIT finally added the k5login_directory option so I could move .k5login out of the home dir
    and stop users from doing terrible things.

--

Carson

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeffrey Hutzelman@21:1/5 to Greg Hudson on Tue May 31 15:16:40 2022
    Copy: danm@prime.gushi.org (Dan Mahoney)
    Copy: kerberos@mit.edu

system. Typical configuration for such systems should enable UsePAM and KbdInteractiveAuthentication and disable PasswordAuthentication and ChallengeResponseAuthentication. This causes all password verification to
    go through PAM. Then all you need is a PAM module that can be configured to behave as you desire. I believe Russ Allbery's pam_krb5 has all the knobs
    you need.

For true Kerberos authentication (i.e. using Kerberos tickets, not a
    password), you can control which principals are allowed to log in as a user
    by means of the user's .k5login file.

-- Jeff

On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 3:10 PM Greg Hudson <ghudson@mit.edu> wrote:

On most of our boxes, ssh is the ONLY kerberized app, but there's no
    provision in krb5.conf to say what the default principal based on a
    username is. None of the PAM modules seem to be able to set it, either. I conjured up an elaborate way to do this by forcing the .k5logindir to be something the users couldn't touch, and forcing a create for each user, but this doesn't help the password case.

Does anyone know of a simple way to accomplish this? There are some
    clients, like mobile ones, where, VPN or no, kinit'ing is not an option.

authctxt->pw->pw_name (except on AIX), parses that, and calls krb5_get_init_creds_password(). ________________________________________________
    Kerberos mailing list Kerberos@mit.edu https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeffrey Hutzelman@21:1/5 to Carson Gaspar on Tue May 31 15:43:41 2022

On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 3:36 PM Carson Gaspar <carson@taltos.org> wrote:

That code should not actually used on a properly-configured PAM-based system. Typical configuration for such systems should enable UsePAM and KbdInteractiveAuthentication and disable PasswordAuthentication and ChallengeResponseAuthentication. This causes all password verification to go through PAM. Then all you need is a PAM module that can be configured
    to
    behave as you desire. I believe Russ Allbery's pam_krb5 has all the knobs you need.

for Russ's pam_krb5, I don't think it will work as-is without changing

It will. You want something like
    alt_auth_map=%s/ssh@REALM
    only_alt_auth=true

For true Kerberos authentication (i.e. using Kerberos tickets, not a password), you can control which principals are allowed to log in as a
    user
    by means of the user's .k5login file.

Please, no - set up a localname mapping instead of trying to manage a bajilion k5login files.

Yeah, a mapping is probably better for this application.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Carson Gaspar@21:1/5 to Jeffrey Hutzelman on Tue May 31 13:02:57 2022
    On 5/31/2022 12:43 PM, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 3:36 PM Carson Gaspar <carson@taltos.org> wrote:

for Russ's pam_krb5, I don't think it will work as-is without
    changing

It will. You want something like
    alt_auth_map=%s/ssh@REALM
    only_alt_auth=true

Ah - I missed that as it takes a different code path that bypasses the
    normal user name mapping. Thanks for the correction!

--

Carson

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Mahoney@21:1/5 to Carson Gaspar on Tue May 31 15:51:39 2022

On May 31, 2022, at 3:35 PM, Carson Gaspar <carson@taltos.org> wrote:

system. Typical configuration for such systems should enable UsePAM and
    KbdInteractiveAuthentication and disable PasswordAuthentication and
    ChallengeResponseAuthentication. This causes all password verification to
    go through PAM. Then all you need is a PAM module that can be configured to >> behave as you desire. I believe Russ Allbery's pam_krb5 has all the knobs
    you need.

I agree about the sshd config options, but looking at the source code for Russ's pam_krb5, I don't think it will work as-is without changing the username provided by the client (see my previous post).

I had missed Russ' pam_krb5. I had looked at the stock FreeBSD one and the redhat one, which lack those options. This warrants building some VM's to mess around with.

For true Kerberos authentication (i.e. using Kerberos tickets, not a
    password), you can control which principals are allowed to log in as a user >> by means of the user's .k5login file.

Please, no - set up a localname mapping instead of trying to manage a bajilion k5login files. I was so happy when MIT finally added the k5login_directory option so I could move .k5login out of the home dir and stop users from doing terrible things.

Our userbase is pretty small and systems are overall managed with puppet, so that's not a problem for us. We'd need to either disallow GSSAPI entirely, or accept that we need to manipulate a dir of k5login files outside the users' homedirs.

I'll take a directory of k5login files. As an organization we don't like pubkey auth because there's no easy central control over users. (i.e. pubkey completely sidesteps kerberos. If you have something like ldap deployed, that can help, but we don't
    like the idea of every system call like ls -al phoning an LDAP server.)

-Dan

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Russ Allbery@21:1/5 to Dan Mahoney on Tue May 31 13:04:46 2022
    Copy: carson@taltos.org (Carson Gaspar)

Dan Mahoney <danm@prime.gushi.org> writes:

Our userbase is pretty small and systems are overall managed with
    puppet, so that's not a problem for us. We'd need to either disallow
    GSSAPI entirely, or accept that we need to manipulate a dir of k5login
    files outside the users' homedirs.

If you're already willing to manage .k5login files, the search_k5login
    option to my PAM module may also work and the whole reason why I started contributing to that module instead of using Red Hat's (to solve an old
    issue that Stanford had).

alt_auth_map is the more precise solution, but it only allows a single
    mapping, whereas with search_k5login you can do whatever you want as long
    as you populate .k5login accordingly.

I'll take a directory of k5login files. As an organization we don't
    like pubkey auth because there's no easy central control over users.
    (i.e. pubkey completely sidesteps kerberos. If you have something like
    ldap deployed, that can help, but we don't like the idea of every system
    call like ls -al phoning an LDAP server.)

Yes, at Stanford we disabled public key and required GSS-API for most
    things.

--
    Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charles Hedrick@21:1/5 to Greg Hudson on Tue May 31 20:39:12 2022
    To: danm@prime.gushi.org (Dan Mahoney)
    To: kerberos@mit.edu (kerberos@mit.edu)

Kerberos uses a plugin to determine which principal is used in a given situation. You could write a plugin that forces the principal to user/ssh if the service is ssh. The API isn't complex. There are several examples.

You'd write the code to check if the service is ssh. If so, you'd look for a cache collection with user/ssh (there's an API call to do that). If so, return that cache collection. If not return authoritative not found. If it's not ssh, return the code
    that causes it to defer to other plugins.
    Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2022 3:08 PM
    To: Dan Mahoney <danm@prime.gushi.org>; kerberos@mit.edu <kerberos@mit.edu> Subject: Re: Using an alternate principal for ssh

authctxt->pw->pw_name (except on AIX), parses that, and calls krb5_get_init_creds_password(). ________________________________________________
    Kerberos mailing list Kerberos@mit.edu https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/kerberos

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05