• Webmaster for

    From David E. Ross@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 10 17:11:10 2021
    I tried sending E-mail to webmaster@ntp.org regarding some Stratum 2 NTP servers that are "broken". The messages bounced after 4 days as
    undeliverable. Does anyone know of a contact for the Network Time
    Protocol organization or Web site?

    --
    David E. Ross
    "A Message to Those Who Are Not Vaccinated"
    See my <http://www.rossde.com/index#vaccine>.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Bart de Alliantie@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 28 06:24:57 2021
    Op zaterdag 11 september 2021 om 02:11:20 UTC+2 schreef David E. Ross:
    I tried sending E-mail to webm...@ntp.org regarding some Stratum 2 NTP servers that are "broken". The messages bounced after 4 days as undeliverable. Does anyone know of a contact for the Network Time
    Protocol organization or Web site?

    --
    David E. Ross
    "A Message to Those Who Are Not Vaccinated"
    See my <http://www.rossde.com/index#vaccine>.

    https://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Main/ContactInformation

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From David E. Ross@21:1/5 to Bart de Alliantie on Thu Oct 28 22:27:16 2021
    On 10/28/2021 6:24 AM, Bart de Alliantie wrote:
    Op zaterdag 11 september 2021 om 02:11:20 UTC+2 schreef David E. Ross:
    I tried sending E-mail to webm...@ntp.org regarding some Stratum 2 NTP
    servers that are "broken". The messages bounced after 4 days as
    undeliverable. Does anyone know of a contact for the Network Time
    Protocol organization or Web site?

    --
    David E. Ross
    "A Message to Those Who Are Not Vaccinated"
    See my <http://www.rossde.com/index#vaccine>.

    https://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Main/ContactInformation


    Aside from the E-mail address that fails, the "NTP Contact Information"
    at that link indicates two other contacts. One is this newsgroup. The
    other is a mailing list reached via <https://lists.ntp.org/>. However,
    an attempt to reach that Web page yields the error message:
    "The connection was refused when attempting to contact
    lists.ntp.org."

    --
    David E. Ross
    "A Message to Those Who Are Not Vaccinated"
    See my <http://www.rossde.com/index.html#vaccine>.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From David Woolley@21:1/5 to David E. Ross on Fri Oct 29 11:14:06 2021
    On 29/10/2021 06:27, David E. Ross wrote:
    Aside from the E-mail address that fails, the "NTP Contact Information"
    at that link indicates two other contacts. One is this newsgroup. The
    other is a mailing list reached via<https://lists.ntp.org/>. However,
    an attempt to reach that Web page yields the error message:
    "The connection was refused when attempting to contact
    lists.ntp.org."

    There is or was a two way gateway between the mailing list and the
    newsgroup. However the mailing list has a reputation for being very
    fussy about who it will accept messages from. Nonetheless, it is more
    likely to have active developers than the newsgroup.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Levine@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 29 17:38:44 2021
    According to John Levine <johnl@taugh.com>:
    According to David Woolley <david@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid>:

    There is or was a two way gateway between the mailing list and the >>newsgroup. However the mailing list has a reputation for being very
    fussy about who it will accept messages from. Nonetheless, it is more >>likely to have active developers than the newsgroup.

    I run the gateway. It is not very clever, just strips off some usenet-only >headers and forwards the message to the mailing list. If you use a munged >from address, which for some reason people do even though spammers stopped >scraping usenet addresses about 20 years ago, you can expect the list
    to reject your message.

    Oh, and I forgot to mention something is screwed up at the list host so
    it has been replying with temporary deferral error codes for several years.
    The people in charge of the list know, dunno why they can't fix it.

    --
    Regards,
    John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
    Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. https://jl.ly

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Levine@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 29 17:37:15 2021
    According to David Woolley <david@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid>:

    There is or was a two way gateway between the mailing list and the
    newsgroup. However the mailing list has a reputation for being very
    fussy about who it will accept messages from. Nonetheless, it is more
    likely to have active developers than the newsgroup.

    I run the gateway. It is not very clever, just strips off some usenet-only headers and forwards the message to the mailing list. If you use a munged
    from address, which for some reason people do even though spammers stopped scraping usenet addresses about 20 years ago, you can expect the list
    to reject your message.

    R's,
    John


    --
    Regards,
    John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
    Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. https://jl.ly

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From David E. Ross@21:1/5 to John Levine on Sat Oct 30 10:55:43 2021
    On 10/29/2021 10:38 AM, John Levine wrote:
    According to John Levine <johnl@taugh.com>:
    According to David Woolley <david@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid>:

    There is or was a two way gateway between the mailing list and the
    newsgroup. However the mailing list has a reputation for being very
    fussy about who it will accept messages from. Nonetheless, it is more
    likely to have active developers than the newsgroup.

    I run the gateway. It is not very clever, just strips off some usenet-only >> headers and forwards the message to the mailing list. If you use a munged >>from address, which for some reason people do even though spammers stopped
    scraping usenet addresses about 20 years ago, you can expect the list
    to reject your message.

    Oh, and I forgot to mention something is screwed up at the list host so
    it has been replying with temporary deferral error codes for several years. The people in charge of the list know, dunno why they can't fix it.

    Okay, I am using a real E-mail address in this reply.

    I tried sending E-mail to webmaster@ntp.org regarding some Stratum 2 NTP servers that are "broken". The messages bounced after 4 days as
    undeliverable. How do I communicate this to whoever is maintaining the
    list of time servers at <http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/WebHome>?

    --
    David E. Ross
    "A Message to Those Who Are Not Vaccinated"
    See my <http://www.rossde.com/index.html#vaccine>.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dru Lavigne@21:1/5 to David E. Ross on Mon Nov 1 10:19:58 2021
    On Saturday, October 30, 2021 at 1:55:50 PM UTC-4, David E. Ross wrote:
    On 10/29/2021 10:38 AM, John Levine wrote:
    According to John Levine <jo...@taugh.com>:
    According to David Woolley <da...@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid>:

    There is or was a two way gateway between the mailing list and the
    newsgroup. However the mailing list has a reputation for being very
    fussy about who it will accept messages from. Nonetheless, it is more
    likely to have active developers than the newsgroup.

    I run the gateway. It is not very clever, just strips off some usenet-only >> headers and forwards the message to the mailing list. If you use a munged >>from address, which for some reason people do even though spammers stopped >> scraping usenet addresses about 20 years ago, you can expect the list
    to reject your message.

    Oh, and I forgot to mention something is screwed up at the list host so
    it has been replying with temporary deferral error codes for several years. The people in charge of the list know, dunno why they can't fix it.
    Okay, I am using a real E-mail address in this reply.
    I tried sending E-mail to webm...@ntp.org regarding some Stratum 2 NTP servers that are "broken". The messages bounced after 4 days as undeliverable. How do I communicate this to whoever is maintaining the
    list of time servers at <http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/WebHome>?
    --
    David E. Ross
    "A Message to Those Who Are Not Vaccinated"
    See my <http://www.rossde.com/index.html#vaccine>.

    David,

    We're in the process of figuring out what is broken for webmaster@ and we also have upgrading support.ntp.org in the sysadmin queue.

    In the meantime, please forward me your message wrt the time servers so we can correct it on the website.

    Cheers,

    Dru

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)