• Sony DTF drive (GY-2120/GY-8240) SCSITOOL.EXE software or info

From Jim Cheoros@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 12 16:39:41 2023
    I'm trying to write proprietary commands to a GY-2120 DTF drive, and to do this I need Sony's SCSITOOL.EXE software, which was released in the mid '90s and ran on Windows95 (I believe).

Does anyone have this lying around somewhere?

If not, does anyone have the SCSI command manual for these devices? If I knew the CDBs required to issue the "RECOVER" command I could live without their tool.

Thanks!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Michael =?ISO-8859-1?Q?B=E4uerle?=@21:1/5 to Jim Cheoros on Sat May 13 18:35:29 2023
    Jim Cheoros wrote:

I'm trying to write proprietary commands to a GY-2120 DTF drive, and
    to do this I need Sony's SCSITOOL.EXE software, which was released
    in the mid '90s and ran on Windows95 (I believe).

I can't help with that tool, but maybe with the command, see below.

If not, does anyone have the SCSI command manual for these devices?
    If I knew the CDBs required to issue the "RECOVER" command I could
    live without their tool.

According to this flyer the GY-2120 should be a SCSI2 device: <https://www.broadcaststore.com/pdf/model/666445/sony_gy2120.pdf>

The SCSI2 specification does not list a RECOVER command for
    sequential-access devices. But there is a command RECOVER BUFFERED DATA
    defined in section 10.2.8:

******************************************************************************

10.2.8 RECOVER BUFFERED DATA command

The RECOVER BUFFERED DATA command (see table 184) is used to recover
    data that has been transferred to the target's buffer but has not been successfully written to the medium. It is normally used to recover from
    error or exception conditions that make it impossible to write the
    buffered data to the medium. One or more RECOVER BUFFERED DATA commands
    may be required to recover all unwritten buffered data.

Table 184 - RECOVER BUFFERED DATA command ==============================================================================
    Bit| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 | 0 | Byte | | | | | | | | | ==============================================================================
    0 | Operation Code (14h) | -----|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
    1 | Logical Unit Number | Reserved | SILI | Fixed | -----|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
    2 | Transfer Length (MSB) | -----|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
    3 | Transfer Length | -----|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
    4 | Transfer Length (LSB) | -----|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
    5 | Control | ==============================================================================

Is this the command you are searching for?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Cheoros@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 13 11:03:12 2023
    On Saturday, May 13, 2023 at 5:37:12 PM UTC+1, Michael Bäuerle wrote:
    Jim Cheoros wrote:

I'm trying to write proprietary commands to a GY-2120 DTF drive, and
    to do this I need Sony's SCSITOOL.EXE software, which was released
    in the mid '90s and ran on Windows95 (I believe).

I can't help with that tool, but maybe with the command, see below.
    If not, does anyone have the SCSI command manual for these devices?
    If I knew the CDBs required to issue the "RECOVER" command I could
    live without their tool.
    According to this flyer the GY-2120 should be a SCSI2 device: <https://www.broadcaststore.com/pdf/model/666445/sony_gy2120.pdf>

The SCSI2 specification does not list a RECOVER command for sequential-access devices. But there is a command RECOVER BUFFERED DATA defined in section 10.2.8:

10.2.8 RECOVER BUFFERED DATA command

The RECOVER BUFFERED DATA command (see table 184) is used to recover
    data that has been transferred to the target's buffer but has not been successfully written to the medium. It is normally used to recover from error or exception conditions that make it impossible to write the
    buffered data to the medium. One or more RECOVER BUFFERED DATA commands
    may be required to recover all unwritten buffered data.

Table 184 - RECOVER BUFFERED DATA command ==============================================================================
    Bit| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 | 0 |
    Byte | | | | | | | | | ==============================================================================
    0 | Operation Code (14h) | -----|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
    1 | Logical Unit Number | Reserved | SILI | Fixed | -----|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
    2 | Transfer Length (MSB) | -----|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
    3 | Transfer Length | -----|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
    4 | Transfer Length (LSB) | -----|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
    5 | Control | ==============================================================================

Is this the command you are searching for?

Thanks for the reply - but no!

According to figure 7-1 of the maintenance manual, the CDB[0]opcode for "Recover" is "E9H", ie in the 7f-ff range of proprietary manufacturer commands. I don't seem to be able to include an image or attachment, but you can see reference to this here:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2348306/Sony-Gy-2120wd.html?page=48#manual

When a tape isn't unloaded "properly", the NFC chip on the tape isn't updated, and the only way you can mount the tape again is to "recover" it first.

There's two ways of doing this - the first is by depressing a little microswitch recessed in the front panel, but the drive ignores me when I do this.

The second way is to use their SCSITOOL.EXE software to issue the "RECOVER" command.

Thanks again.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05