• Re: Remote power-up of Epson WF-4630 printer?

From Julie Denges@21:1/5 to GSalisbury on Sat Mar 19 06:01:44 2022
    On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 7:53:07 AM UTC-6, GSalisbury wrote:
    "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
    news:f73osk...@mid.individual.net...
    On 11/15/2017 07:59 AM, GSalisbury wrote:

Is there any way of remotely powering-up an Epson WF-4630 printer? Even >>>> if plugged into a "live" power outlet, it seems there is no way for it >>>> to become ready for action without someone actually pressing the power >>>> button on the front; is that really the case, or is there some way of >>>> sending it a "wake up" signal over the network?

If there is a way to do what you are asking, it is probably covered in >>> the owner's manual. But the obvious answer is to just leave the printer >>> turned on all the time.

I have a combination inkjet printer and scanner, as well as a Laser
    printer accessible via WiFi. They are left on all the time, which is
    handy when I have company that wants to print.

I certainly haven't found anything in the owner's manual, which is why I >> was asking here.

It's so seldom that I need to print anything on that printer -- which is >> located in a different room from the laser printer that we use most of
    the time, and which is now powered via a WiFi-controlled outlet, so
    other people can turn it on when they want to print, rather than having
    to leave their desk twice, once to turn the printer on and once to
    collect their printouts -- that I was hoping to avoid having it switched >> on the whole time and using power unnecessarily.

==========================================================
    First I don't have (never have had) any kind of an Epson Printer but, out >> of curiosity, I put Epson WF-4630 into a google search and followed an
    epson.com hit.
    It's too long - I didn't bother copying it and don't have a "make short". >> The User Manual there sure has what seems to me to have a number of power >> control options including wi-fi - the implication is, after appropriate
    setup, sending something to the printer can turn it on and off as needed. >> Have you googled? (You never said whether you did or didn't.)
    At this juncture I would consider auto-power-on a standard feature that
    virtually all ordinary printers/MFU's would support.
    I have (and had) older Canon inkjets that support auto power-on/off.
    The epson site is probably your best resource (said something about a
    firmware update as well).

Yes, I had searched on line for any relevant information, and I had searched the electronic version of the manual. There are many options
    for setting delays before the printer goes to sleep or powers off, but I see nothing about being able to wake it up from "off."

I guess I just have to decide whether I want it to keep it "asleep"
    (1.8W) rather than "off" (0.3W).

Perce
    =====================================
    Not looking to belabor the point but you could, of course, pose the question on the Epson Site for an "authoritative<g>" response.

But in my mind it's still an ordinary enough function that, with the power-off settings, implies that it will power-on - but of I could be way off base.
    Set the power-off profile that fits yours and leave the printer turned on. Do something else then print and see what happens.

I did just have a chat session with Epson support, and they tell me that
    even from "sleep" mode it's impossible to print. So the only benefit of "sleep" mode, I guess, is that it will "wake up" when the button is
    pressed more quickly than when it was off.

Perce
    =====================
    Oh well - we tried.
    I have an older Canon Pixma IP3000 Inkjet plugged into a USB Port on the router and it auto-powers on/off.
    Convenient.
    I also have an older Brother MFC5460CN AIO plugged into both a USB Port on
    my main P/C and an Ethernet Port on the router.
    It doesn't do either auto power-on or off.
    Both printers are basically within arms reach of "command central<g>", however, so power on/off is implicitly automatic.
    Too bad on the Epson.
    Geo.

If anyone is interested I have found a solution... but you need a robot. I use the switchbot. I realize this is years later but if I stumbled upon this it may come in handy for others. Have fun!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)