• Screeching APS

From oldmaven@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Feb 11 14:17:05 2016
    I have a Nikon LS-50 (V ED) with the APS attachment. I recently resumed scanning in old films, and find that many of my APS cartridges screech when I run them through; sometimes, they can be scanned once but lock up if I try to re-scan them. My guess
    is that their was originally some lubricant that has dried up in the 15 years or so since I shot them.

Anyone know of a fix?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Kilgore Trout@21:1/5 to All on Thu Feb 11 18:26:40 2016
    In article <7eed11fd-f08c-4918-89a4-1aa3867acf78@googlegroups.com>, oldmaven@gmail.com says...

I have a Nikon LS-50 (V ED) with the APS attachment. I recently resumed scanning in old films, and find that many of my APS cartridges screech when I run them through; sometimes, they can be scanned once but lock up if I try to re-scan them. My guess
    is that their was originally some lubricant that has dried up in the 15 years or so since I shot them.

Anyone know of a fix?

You could try silicone grease from the local plumbing / hardware store, lubricating the touching parts with a toothpick. I've done that with other old plastic hardware gizmos, and it usually works.

--
    Al McCann
    m a c 3 5 8 (at)-n e w s g u y-(dot) c o m

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)