• Nikon LS-2000 and LS-30 and Windows 7

From licensedtoquill@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Martin Smith on Thu Oct 8 10:26:52 2015
    On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 9:26:12 AM UTC-4, Martin Smith wrote:
    I would guess it is probably a slight bug in vuescan, which I never
    liked very much, I had one of these scanners for many years, even at one stage got some software from nikon to run on xp,

--
    Martin

Curiously, as I say, Nikon hasn't got any idea how to get their software to run with this scanner on XP. Do you by any chance remember how you did it please? Their site mentions Nikon Scan v4 but now they say the SCSI drivers are only present in v3.

The latest v3 just doesn't identify the scanner at all, whereas VueScan does, - so I assume the drivers for USBConnect and the ASPI layers are all OK.

I'd just like to see whether Nikon Scan identifies a problem with seeing that there is film in the tray.

I would dread having to get an Adaptec USBConnect working on a G4, most of which now run some flavour of OSX

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From licensedtoquill@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 7 09:52:59 2015
    Sorry to resuscitate such an elderly thread but I am wondering if someone could assist me with a spurious error message on my Nikon Coolscan LS-30 please?

I haven't been able to get it working with the Nikon scan software v 3.1.2 ("Nikon Scan was unable to see any active devices") and Nikon cant identify why but told me to try VueScan.

Vuescan (demo) sees and identifies the scanner as an LS30 but (without doing any real checking) keeps telling me to load film in the tray. It does this with the slide 'cartridge' and the negatives 'cartridge'.

Do you have any idea what this error message means please? Nikon hasn't got the vaguest idea but postulates that it might mean XP isnt working properly with the 98SE scanner because of some SCSI speed compatibility issue?. VueScan wonders whether the
    tray might need pushing in a bit further, but it gives this error message with both trays. Was there ever a problem with getting the trays to "click" into position? I did see one reference on line to this problem but it seemed to go away with turning
    off and on a bit?

I have had this scanner since it was new, though I havent used it for a number of years and because the software/hardware was a bit ponderous, I have never scanned more than a half dozen pics with it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Smith@21:1/5 to licensedtoquill@gmail.com on Thu Oct 8 14:26:10 2015
    On 07/10/2015 17:52, licensedtoquill@gmail.com wrote:
    Sorry to resuscitate such an elderly thread but I am wondering if someone could assist me with a spurious error message on my Nikon Coolscan LS-30 please?

I haven't been able to get it working with the Nikon scan software v 3.1.2 ("Nikon Scan was unable to see any active devices") and Nikon cant identify why but told me to try VueScan.

Vuescan (demo) sees and identifies the scanner as an LS30 but (without doing any real checking) keeps telling me to load film in the tray. It does this with the slide 'cartridge' and the negatives 'cartridge'.

Do you have any idea what this error message means please? Nikon hasn't got the vaguest idea but postulates that it might mean XP isnt working properly with the 98SE scanner because of some SCSI speed compatibility issue?. VueScan wonders whether the
    tray might need pushing in a bit further, but it gives this error message with both trays. Was there ever a problem with getting the trays to "click" into position? I did see one reference on line to this problem but it seemed to go away with turning
    off and on a bit?

liked very much, I had one of these scanners for many years, even at one
    stage got some software from nikon to run on xp, but it was not very
    good, you could not adjust the scanning resolution.

I have had this scanner since it was new, though I havent used it for a number of years and because the software/hardware was a bit ponderous, I have never scanned more than a half dozen pics with it.

The best suggestion I can make is to find an old G4 Mac which comes with
    SCSI built in and try running it off that, The mac software may well be
    on the original install disc.
    They are good scanners though now I use and epson V700, much faster...
    good luck

--
    Martin

replies to newsgroup only please.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Smith@21:1/5 to licensedtoquill@gmail.com on Thu Oct 8 20:08:19 2015
    On 08/10/2015 18:26, licensedtoquill@gmail.com wrote:
    On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 9:26:12 AM UTC-4, Martin Smith wrote:
    liked very much, I had one of these scanners for many years, even at one
    stage got some software from nikon to run on xp,

--
    Martin

Curiously, as I say, Nikon hasn't got any idea how to get their software to run with this scanner on XP. Do you by any chance remember how you did it please? Their site mentions Nikon Scan v4 but now they say the SCSI drivers are only present in v3.

It was many years ago but I got the software from nikon, after a few
    phone calls but it wasn't much good.

The latest v3 just doesn't identify the scanner at all, whereas VueScan does, - so I assume the drivers for USBConnect and the ASPI layers are all OK.

I'd just like to see whether Nikon Scan identifies a problem with seeing that there is film in the tray.

I would dread having to get an Adaptec USBConnect working on a G4, most of which now run some flavour of OSX

I meant to say, get one which is running classic, they work fine in OS9,
    they are not at all supported in OSX, it would probably also work on one
    of the old round coloured iMacs, that has built in scsi, that would be a
    better bet.
    Good luck...

--
    Martin

replies to newsgroup only please.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From licensedtoquill@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 8 13:20:34 2015
    OK Thanks for that, it seems the 3.1.2 software does contain the right drivers, they just call them LS2000 drivers. Still, I wonder why Vuescan identifies the LS30 whereas 3.1.2 says "no active scanner connected"

Anyway, Now I have to try to figure out what it means when, on POST with the SCSI cable disconnected, the unit ejects its film negative, flashes slowly, buzzes loudly for 5 seconds, flashes fast about 15 times and then settles down to the steady green
    light.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From licensedtoquill@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 7 08:57:06 2015
    Thanks for all your help guys: The problem seems to be that although I have had this scanner since Windows 98 days, as I haven't used it for a number of years, the lubrication has gone hard and when appropriate rails don't move inside it on POST, these
    error messages result.

Unfortunately, unless anyone chimes in telling me this is possibly wrong, the unit cant be lubricated without stripping down to virtually the last bolt, which is exorbitantly expensive given the cost of any more modern scanner.

Anyone care to recommend a modern scanner for a one-shot scan of large numbers of transparencies and negatives please?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charlie Hoffpauir@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 7 11:37:28 2015
    On Mon, 7 Dec 2015 08:57:06 -0800 (PST), licensedtoquill@gmail.com
    wrote:

Thanks for all your help guys: The problem seems to be that although I have had this scanner since Windows 98 days, as I haven't used it for a number of years, the lubrication has gone hard and when appropriate rails don't move inside it on POST, these
    error messages result.

Unfortunately, unless anyone chimes in telling me this is possibly wrong, the unit cant be lubricated without stripping down to virtually the last bolt, which is exorbitantly expensive given the cost of any more modern scanner.

Anyone care to recommend a modern scanner for a one-shot scan of large numbers of transparencies and negatives please?

I think the huge shift to digital photograpy has made slide scanners
    an unprofitable product line. The only modern scanners I've seen
    recently are basically high resolution flat bed types. I've heard some
    of these are quite good, but I don't have any experience with them.

When my LS-40 started having poor scans, I searched the web and found
    an excellent article on how to clean the mirror. It was pretty easy to
    do, and it worked wonders.

A quick search for lubricating an LS-2000 yields an article at

http://www.vad1.com/photo/dirty-scanner/nikon-ls-2000-lubrication-guide.pdf

that looks pretty easy to follow. The poster says it's a 2 hour job,
    which probably means at least 3 hours for someone who's never done it
    before.

I'd certainly want to try that before investing in something new that
    might not serve your needs.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From licensedtoquill@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 7 10:40:13 2015
    I did see that article and thought I might give it a try as it seemed to involve a lot of 'remove 4 screws from panel X positioned at ...... and.....

But then when i read it more carefully, it actually sounds relatively frightening in its complexity, with all the cables and positionings etc

You are right about the current crop of scanners. They are all EITHER complex semi-professionally priced units OR they all seem designed for Windows 98SE and have things like serial connectors (I even have a Lightlid 35 unit here for which I would have
    to buy a Microtek scanner!)

That was why I asked the question.

And I seem to remember passing a multifunction scanner in the street a few years go which had negative/transparency support?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charlie Hoffpauir@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 7 13:41:20 2015
    On Mon, 7 Dec 2015 10:40:13 -0800 (PST), licensedtoquill@gmail.com
    wrote:

I did see that article and thought I might give it a try as it seemed to involve a lot of 'remove 4 screws from panel X positioned at ...... and.....

But then when i read it more carefully, it actually sounds relatively frightening in its complexity, with all the cables and positionings etc

You are right about the current crop of scanners. They are all EITHER complex semi-professionally priced units OR they all seem designed for Windows 98SE and have things like serial connectors (I even have a Lightlid 35 unit here for which I would have
    to buy a Microtek scanner!)

That was why I asked the question.

And I seem to remember passing a multifunction scanner in the street a few years go which had negative/transparency support?

In addition to my LS-40, I have an Epson V600 Photo. I've used it for
    scanning larger negatives (2 1/4) and it does a decent job. I'd say it
    was marginably acceptable for 35 mm, but really it isn't as good as
    your LS 2000 or my LS 40 would be. If the work on the LS 2000 screws
    up, then I'd say something better than the V600 Photo would be the
    next option.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From licensedtoquill@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 7 14:39:58 2015
    I washoping you wouldnt say that my LS30 should give such better results that it should be repaired, and that you wouldnt suggest that modern units might not be as good save in a 4x6 consume sense.

Bearing in mind the text " It requires a high-level of technical competence and mechanical dexterity,such as an "A+ Certification" Computer Technician plus 3 years experience, or equivalent, and demonstrated ability to handle and understand complex,
    delicate optical mechanisms and instruments. " I thought I would give it a try as I did use to fix HTC Wizards and promptly got completely lost at "P) manually run the Autofocus up and down and lube the four bearings. There are two short post type
    bearings on the bottom of both sides of the mechanism. And there are two fork type bearings that slide up and down on the upper X-axis shaft. Also lube the four contact points on the two leaf springs on bottom that provide return pressure on the
    mechanism " when I couldn't see or identify anything he was referring to without pictures, which he helpfully doesn't actually provide.

So on reassembly, the unit POSTS a whole lot smoother with all the lubricating which I did (not much and apparently not enough!) and still gives the same error message (15 blink) pattern it gave before I started.

No modern options seem to cost as much as the $145 it seems to cost to get this thing done properly?? Maybe I should get a 22 megapixel Jumbl all in one?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Smith@21:1/5 to licensedtoquill@gmail.com on Tue Dec 8 08:49:31 2015
    On 2015-12-07, licensedtoquill@gmail.com <licensedtoquill@gmail.com> wrote:
    error messages result.

I have an Epson V700, have had it for some years now and it is very good.
    It definitely make much better 35mm scans than my old LS30, but I do have one problem with the software, when scanning 120 it never gets the frames right
    and it always comes out like 654, however you can work around it by doing it
    in strips, a bit tedious but I only have one friend with a working Rollei
    these days.
    I recommend it, and was a lot cheaper than the LS30 was in its day.

--
    Martin

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 1Scan@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 8 01:20:04 2015
    Hi,

I run a commercial photo scanning service and over the last 12 years I've picked up a number of scanners. In my opinion the Nikons give the best results on 35mm (we use Coolscan 5000s) and throughput is excellent with the batch slide attachment.

We also have Epson flatbeds, the latest being the V750. The results are pretty good and personally I like them almost as much as the Nikons. You can put a number of slides into the carrier to give a batch facility so bulk work isn't such a grind. If you
    decide to take the Epson route I'd recommend using Silverfast software which I feel gives you better scanner control and yields better scans. You can set each slide / negative to its own values even in a batch scan.

If you'd like to send me a few slides I'd be happy to run them through both types of scanner for you so you can compare, no cost of course.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From licensedtoquill@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 8 12:37:21 2015
    I get it: The industry decided about ten years ago that consumers no longer want scanning facilities and stopped both developing them AND therefore bringing them down in price.

Today, there are only the industrially priced commercial units OR easy-to-use gadgets like the Pandigital, which are designed to let consumers (print) 4x6s.

SO: Thanks for your comments on how good the Coolscan 111 really is, and I will try to see if anyone can lubricate it properly for me.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From android@21:1/5 to licensedtoquill@gmail.com on Wed Dec 9 06:34:57 2015
    In article <5e951450-3048-4ffb-b6af-ca964cf01557@googlegroups.com>,
    licensedtoquill@gmail.com wrote:

I get it: The industry decided about ten years ago that consumers no longer want scanning facilities and stopped both developing them AND therefore bringing them down in price.

Today, there are only the industrially priced commercial units OR easy-to-use gadgets like the Pandigital, which are designed to let consumers (print) 4x6s.

SO: Thanks for your comments on how good the Coolscan 111 really is, and I will try to see if anyone can lubricate it properly for me.

No. Nikon cancelled their semiprofessional scanners about same time they introduced their FX line of cameras...
    --
    teleportation kills

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From billfontana@cox.net@21:1/5 to Barry Watzman on Sun Mar 13 11:44:35 2016
    On Sunday, January 3, 2010 at 11:46:18 PM UTC-5, Barry Watzman wrote:
    I have may Nikon LS-30's and LS-2000's working successfully on Windows 7 32-bit.

This is a native installation:

-Adaptec 2940AU SCSI card
    -Adaptec 2940 drivers [use the Vista drivers]
    -Adaptec ASPI 4.71a2
    -Nikon Scan 3.1.2

Installation was a BITCH, especially ASPI. The only way I got it
    installed was to print out the install.bat file and then run the steps MANUALLY in a DOS box. The DOS box was set for:

-Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode
    -"Run as Administrator"
    -Give "Everyone" "Full Control" permissions

The same above 3 parameters were used (necessary or not) for both all installation (setup) programs, and then they were applied to all .exe programs after they were installed (e.g. these 3 parameters were applied
    to the Nikon Scan setup program when it was run, and then they were also applied to NikonScan.exe after the installation program installed it).

Not a straightforward or easy installation, BUT IT DOES WORK.

Note that there is, as far as I can determine, no native Nikon Scan installation possible for 64-bit Windows 7, but it may be possible to
    either use VueScan and a "Ratoc" converter, or to use the "XP Mode" if
    you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate and a CPU that has hardware virtualization technology.

I want to thank you for this post as it has allowed me to get my LS-2000 working with Nikon Scan 3.2.1, Windows 7 32 bit, and an Adaptec 2940UW PRO scsi card. The only thing new that I had to discover was that Nikon Scan worked if I booted the computer
    with the scanner on but wouldn't work if I turned it on after booting the computer even though I forced device manager to scan the computer and install the scanner.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mrimmer.main@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Barry Watzman on Wed Mar 11 04:43:51 2020
    On Monday, April 12, 2010 at 3:28:38 AM UTC+1, Barry Watzman wrote:
    There are two transit screws. The holes on the back are the STORAGE
    holes. For transit, one goes in the hole on the bottom, the other goes
    into a hole just inside the front edge of the film adapter compartment,
    on the left side. You can't just stick these in any old way or time;
    before they can be inserted, the mechanism has to be put into the
    "transit park" mode. If the scanner needs service, this may not be
    possible, in which case the scanner will need to be shipped without the screws (in which case it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that you use a
    relatively large box with LOTS of good, shock absorbing padding.

An inserted transit screw WILL cause a POST failure (fast blinking).

Now that both screws are removed, how does the unit behave on power up?

Note, over 80% of Nikon scanners sold online are defective. Most don't
    work, and of those that do, most have dirty optics and need cleaning
    (not withstanding that they will produce a scan).

Please see:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110496133091

Due to another commitment, I am not accepting additional repairs, but I
    might make an exception. Please contact me by E-mail (Watzman@neo.rr.com)

Suggestion that might get it working: Take off the covers (4 screws)
    and the front plastic fascia (snap at the top). The main stepper motor
    is below the film adapter opening. It's shaft is slotted. Using a screwdriver, turn it counterclockwise if the unit is full forward, or clockwise if it's full back. Also, "rock" the optical block (the large
    black plastic piece with the chrome steel rails on it) forward and back (alternately press down on the optical block at the front, then the
    back). Turn it on and see if it now works (you can do this without reinstalling the front fascia or covers, but keep your hands out of the
    power supply (the rear 1/3 of the scanner).

Note that, even if it superficially works, it probably still needs
    servicing.

Andrew Toms wrote:
    UPDATE

Things got much more interesting once I found and removed the transit
    lock screw on the underside of the unit (there is another one in the
    back panel).
    NikonScan still would not recognize the device. BUT -Hamrick VueScan
    DOES see it, and it runs. I got one fuzzy preview image from a slide, everything else is a fuzzy wash. I am suspecting the leadscrew drive
    might be jammed at end of travel (I can now see the LEDS illuminating
    the front edge of my slide, but it never "scans").

On Apr 9, 8:22 am, Andrew Toms <atoms...@gmail.com> wrote:
    Thanks Barry,

The Adaptec 2940UW card was free, so I thought I would give it a go
    (the scanner cost me $150 on Craigslist).
    The SCSI cable is brand new (StarTech HD68-to-HD50).
    Scanner appears to do its POST ok (steady green light, then slow blink
    1/s, then fast blink ~5/s, then steady green again). It does not make
    any noise, and I cannot see a lamp illuminate anywhere (as opposed to
    flatbed scanners, which often do this?). This device is new to me, so
    I am not sure what it is "supposed" to do. No manual or instructions
    came with it.
    The Adaptec card appears to recognize the scanner -when the PC powers-
    up, the SCSI BIOS screen comes up, and it identifies a Nikon LS2000
    scanner ID#2 -I took that to be a good sign.
    I did verify more closely that I have the right ASPI layer installed,
    the ASPICHK gives me back the correct versions (4.7 etc) that I have
    seen posted elsewhere.

Willing to poke at it a bit more (and try a different card if they are
    that cheap) before giving up.

Hello Barry Watzman,
    I have tried your email address to no avail

I am wondering if you are still available for some information regarding a Nikon Coolscan iii (LS-30).

The problem that I have is that the optical block keeps jamming at the front end of its travel. I suspect that it detects where it is by what appears to be a small flap that looks like it either activates a microswitch or makes a contact.

Is there any way of dealing with this. I am reasonably competent with both mechanics and electronics and any help would be most appreciated.

The unit unfortunately was sent to me without the transit screws so there may be other issues.

Regards,

Mike Rimmer
    If anyone else has any information regarding this it would be much appreciated...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05