• Re: fast line printer wanted

From KP KP@21:1/5 to Larry Lippman on Sat Aug 13 08:43:25 2022
    On Sunday, November 16, 1986 at 12:17:48 PM UTC-8, Larry Lippman wrote:
    In article <73...@utzoo.UUCP>, he...@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
    We are looking for a reliable high speed line printer.

Have you considered one of the low-cost laser printers? Disadvantages are relatively high per-page cost and the damnably small paper trays. On the other hand, they are fast and quiet, the print quality is superb, and use of small fonts can put a *lot* of text on a page. It's amazing how much easier it is to sort out a 900-line program when it all fits on three
    pages and you can spread the whole thing out in front of you... Oh yes,
    the paper is a much more convenient size too. A good choice if situation and workload permit.
    I agree wholeheartedly with Henry. We have had a Xerox 4045 (a lower
    cost version of the 2700) for several months now. It was originally
    purchased for document preparation, and not for programming purposes. However, it became quickly apparent how GREAT it was to have 66 lines
    by 132 columns on an 8-1/2 by 11 inch page. Not only is the laser printer faster than our chain printers (it is effectively > 600 lpm), but it is really efficient to have program listings along with other documentation in the same 3-ring binder. Furthermore, the paper cost for a quality 20# bond 8-1/2 by 11 paper is about half the cost for 20# 11 by 15 line printer paper. There is of course a toner consumption cost for the laser printer; however,
    I am going to hazard a guess and say it is about the same as a fabric ribbon cost for high-speed line printers (we don't use re-inkers).
    <> Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
    <> UUCP: {allegra|bbncca|decvax|nike|rocksanne|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry VOICE: 716/688-1231 {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
    <> FAX: 716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes} "Have you hugged your cat today?"
    I have the HP laserwriter printer. Good printer in 2022.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)