• VxWorks security in userland

From frederic.jean.thieffry@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 29 01:00:53 2019
    Hi,

I kwnow that VxWorks already distinguish userland and kernel.
    Is it possible to haden the userland of VxWorks? I mean implementing restrictions on the file system, system call based on process ID.

Thanks

Fred

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From kuhlenough@gmail.com@21:1/5 to frederic.j...@gmail.com on Thu Sep 5 09:26:00 2019
    On Friday, March 29, 2019 at 4:00:55 AM UTC-4, frederic.j...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hi,

I kwnow that VxWorks already distinguish userland and kernel.
    Is it possible to haden the userland of VxWorks? I mean implementing restrictions on the file system, system call based on process ID.

Thanks

Fred

Yes, a framework to limit system calls available to certain process along with time based frame scheduler was introduced in the "safety profile", with recent changes in packaging of VxWorks 7 I think it's part of normal bundle as well.

The approach isn't by process ID, the process path and it's resources/constraints are put in a static tables, vs. the launching though an function or shell call you typical use with a process/RTP. But safety certified systems love the statically declared
    approach, so that drove the design.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)