• VxWorks MUX with VLAN

From matthew.bethany@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 14 17:15:22 2019
    I am working on a device that has 4 physical ports that share one END driver. Each of the ports appears to have a subnet based VLAN configured. When I run ifconfig i See an interface eth0 and then 4 subnet based VLANS eth0.10 eth0.12 eth0.13 eth0.14. All
    of these appear to use END gei1. I want to tap some of the network traffic so I created a muxBind to device gei1. This works correctly however I end up with all the traffic from all 4 physical ports on the device but I only want to capture from 1 port.
    On closer inspection it doesn’t look like a L2vlan is being used because none of the traffic has an 802.1Q tag but obviously the information of what physical port the traffic arrived on is there because the four VLAN interfaces are linked to physical
    ports.

Also does anyone have information on the mux2Bind api. It looks like the IPNET layer uses this to bind. I’m not sure if more information is passed to the receive routine from the mux2Bind

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From kuhlenough@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 5 10:08:57 2019
    The MUX layer isn't VLAN aware. All it understands are Ethernet protocol IDs. The VLan interfaces are all instantiated routed up in the IPNET layers, that owns the VLAN tag routing.

The MUX layer predates VLAN and was heavily used by Telecom devices to route traffic over backplanes and fiber networks that were not Ethernet based and had different framing rules for the drivers. Back when core networking wasn't all FPGA based
    forwarding.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)