• NetGear PLP-1000 (Powerline): Speeds?

From (PeteCresswell)@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 25 19:19:51 2018
    Per LAN Speed Test, the best I can get is something in the mid-twenties
    (mBps).

Understood that one's AC electrical system is probably a major factor, but I tested at another person's house (built within the last 10 years) and got similar results.

Bottom Line: If you have one of these things, what speeds are you getting and how are you measuring?
    --
    Pete Cresswell
    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From crazyb56@gmail.com@21:1/5 to PeteCresswell on Wed Mar 28 09:36:08 2018
    On Sunday, March 25, 2018 at 6:19:58 PM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    Per LAN Speed Test, the best I can get is something in the mid-twenties (mBps).

Understood that one's AC electrical system is probably a major factor, but I tested at another person's house (built within the last 10 years) and got similar results.

Bottom Line: If you have one of these things, what speeds are you getting and how are you measuring?
    --
    Pete Cresswell

I have used 2 sets of these in several locations.
    1 is an older tp link 150 or 300 I think and the other is the current best that netgear has to offer a powerline 1200 I believe.

I needed them because an office had to move into a rented building and I could not run an ethernet cable to one of the offices and it had a VOIP phone.

I used the TP link initially because it was my own personal equipment and I didn't have the Netgears yet. So I installed the TP link and then eventually the Netgear. Testing was done by copying a large file to and from the file server on the network.

They were extremely similar in performance. Even though they were years apart in make and the lower tier and Highest tier products.

The TP link would get around 60-80 Mbps So 7.5-10 MB/s transfer speeds.
    And the Netgears would get just a little higher at 70-90 Mbps or 8.75-10.6 MB/s.
    I could tell the netgear was more stable. Where the speed would not jump around as much. Normally staying within 5 Mbps of 85 mbps.
    I believe the speed was total bandwidth as well so if I tried uploading and downloading it wold be around 45 Mbps for each.

We have several buildngs spanning about a block all connected to the same electrical system for generator purposes. If I remember I will test the units at each end and see if there is any apreciable drop off.

Maybe you got a bad set, maybe your area has a non-optimal power frequency or maybe it is something else entirely. Have you tried plugging them both into either the same outlet or even a splitter so you can make sure it's not the units?
    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)