• Re: ArcaOS without a future?

From a.b_@a1.net@21:1/5 to baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com on Wed Jan 24 12:20:12 2024
    baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com schrieb:
    Hi Dave:
    ....I hacked in xwlan from my ECS for my WiFi. ....

What need you to 'hack in'? Wasn't it that easy than installing the .wpi? You can even
    export your profiles from you old machine and import in into the installation. Any
    problems with that?

...I was hoping to die using OS/2, but now it looks like I will live longer, and OS/2 will die sooner.

I really hope so ;-).

... Why cannot xwlan be modified to provide contemporary functionality?

Depends on what you define contemporary functionality. If you mean mimic the behavior what
    other OSes do today then one answer would be, cause no one needs it. No current wifi
    driver -> no need for xwlan. But even if we had newer wifi drivers I fear no one will
    catch up all the changes in wireless technology and UI expectations that were happening
    the last 15 years. I fear not even the interface to the driver (usually genmac) which was
    defined more that 20 years ago will be sufficient to current needs/hardware. So the
    answers are many - no need, no driver, no motivation, no resources for a complete new
    solution instead xwlan, only a few developers who can compile the current xwlan and even
    less who like do it, ...

.. Why cannot a simple 32 bit native OS/2 browser with basic functionality be developed?

Ask yourself, why can't you do it by yourself? I think the same arguments are valid for
    the waste majority of the other OS/2 users too.

Regards,
    Andi

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)