• Need help connecting a Thinkpad R60 to WiFi in eCS 2.1

From Keith Sheehan@21:1/5 to All on Wed Feb 21 21:53:04 2018
    I have a Thinkpad R60 with eComstation 2.1 and the original Intel 802.11b/g WiFi card.

I've tried connecting the machine to both my U-Verse 802.11ac router and an old 802.11g Airport Express router and I can't connect to either. The Connect button is never enabled.

The only way I've been able to connect the machine to the Internet so far was when I had my Android phone configured as a WiFi hot spot with no security enabled. Needless today, I would like a more permanant, secure solution.

Does anyone know what specific security settings eCom is looking for so that I can configure one of the routers appropriately?

The funny thing is, I have a second, identical, R60 with Ubuntu and I have no difficulty connecting with that machine to the U-verse router.

Thanks for any help you can provide,
    Keith Sheehan

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Pete@21:1/5 to Keith Sheehan on Tue Feb 27 02:48:59 2018
    Hi Keith

Keith Sheehan wrote:
    I have a Thinkpad R60 with eComstation 2.1 and the original Intel 802.11b/g WiFi card.

Any idea of model of nic? - pci id may be useful.

I've tried connecting the machine to both my U-Verse 802.11ac router and an old 802.11g Airport Express router and I can't connect to either. The Connect button is never enabled.

Connect button?

I have 2 laptops with Intel wireless nics working and neither have a
    Connect button anywhere in the software involved.

Maybe you should post details of drivers and software in use.

Regards

Pete

The only way I've been able to connect the machine to the Internet so far was when I had my Android phone configured as a WiFi hot spot with no security enabled. Needless today, I would like a more permanant, secure solution.

Does anyone know what specific security settings eCom is looking for so that I can configure one of the routers appropriately?

The funny thing is, I have a second, identical, R60 with Ubuntu and I have no difficulty connecting with that machine to the U-verse router.

Keith Sheehan

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Keith Sheehan@21:1/5 to Keith Sheehan on Tue Feb 27 12:23:20 2018
    On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 11:53:05 PM UTC-6, Keith Sheehan wrote:

Keith Sheehan

In the Hardware Manager, the card is listed as Intel 3945 a/b/g.

As for the settings, I am right-clicking on the WiFi icon in the lower-right corner and selecting 'Public Hotspots > Scan for Hotspots'. When I select my SSID from the list the 'Connect' button at the bottom of the 'Scan for Hotspots' dialog is disabled.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Keith Sheehan@21:1/5 to Keith Sheehan on Tue Feb 27 13:06:31 2018
    On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 2:23:21 PM UTC-6, Keith Sheehan wrote:

Keith Sheehan

As for the settings, I am right-clicking on the WiFi icon in the lower-right corner and selecting 'Public Hotspots > Scan for Hotspots'. When I select my SSID from the list the 'Connect' button at the bottom of the 'Scan for Hotspots' dialog is
    disabled.

The available settings on the Airport Express I am trying to use are

Radio Mode: 802.11b/g, b Only or g Only

Wireless Security: None, WPR 40 or 128bit, WPA/WPA2 Personal, WPA2 Personal, WPA/WPA2 Enterprise, WPA2 Enterprise

Which settings for the access point would be the best settings for the WiFi card in the laptop?

Thanks!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Keith Sheehan@21:1/5 to Keith Sheehan on Tue Feb 27 13:07:23 2018
    On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 3:06:32 PM UTC-6, Keith Sheehan wrote:

Keith Sheehan

As for the settings, I am right-clicking on the WiFi icon in the lower-right corner and selecting 'Public Hotspots > Scan for Hotspots'. When I select my SSID from the list the 'Connect' button at the bottom of the 'Scan for Hotspots' dialog is
    disabled.

Wireless Security: None, WPR 40 or 128bit, WPA/WPA2 Personal, WPA2 Personal, WPA/WPA2 Enterprise, WPA2 Enterprise

Which settings for the access point would be the best settings for the WiFi card in the laptop?

Thanks!

That should be 'WEP 40 or 128 bit' not WPR

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Yeo@21:1/5 to Keith Sheehan on Tue Feb 27 14:54:41 2018
    Keith Sheehan wrote:
    On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 11:53:05 PM UTC-6, Keith Sheehan wrote: >>> I have a Thinkpad R60 with eComstation 2.1 and the original Intel 802.11b/g WiFi card.

Keith Sheehan

disabled.

For my T42, I had to create a profile, which I named "Home" by right
    clicking the WiFi widget and entered the needed info. My hub doesn't
    have much in the way of settings. For the T42, I'm using (under the
    security tab) Wi-Fi Protected access (WPA2-PSK) and entered the
    preshared key which I believe I read off the bottom of the hub, under
    the battery. The key is of the form 123ABCDE2A with different numbers
    and letters then I posted.
    Under the Connection tab, I have the Profile Name-Home and under connect
    to, Basic/Extended Service Set (BSS/ESS) and the SSID that I also read
    of the bottom of the Hub, looks something like ISP012F
    I was lucky as it was my first try and it just worked.
    Dave

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Keith Sheehan@21:1/5 to Dave Yeo on Tue Feb 27 19:36:51 2018
    On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 4:54:43 PM UTC-6, Dave Yeo wrote:
    Keith Sheehan wrote:
    On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 11:53:05 PM UTC-6, Keith Sheehan wrote: >>> I have a Thinkpad R60 with eComstation 2.1 and the original Intel 802.11b/g WiFi card.

Keith Sheehan

disabled.

Wireless Security: None, WPR 40 or 128bit, WPA/WPA2 Personal, WPA2 Personal,
    WPA/WPA2 Enterprise, WPA2 Enterprise

For my T42, I had to create a profile, which I named "Home" by right clicking the WiFi widget and entered the needed info. My hub doesn't
    have much in the way of settings. For the T42, I'm using (under the
    security tab) Wi-Fi Protected access (WPA2-PSK) and entered the
    preshared key which I believe I read off the bottom of the hub, under
    the battery. The key is of the form 123ABCDE2A with different numbers
    and letters then I posted.
    Under the Connection tab, I have the Profile Name-Home and under connect
    to, Basic/Extended Service Set (BSS/ESS) and the SSID that I also read
    of the bottom of the Hub, looks something like ISP012F
    I was lucky as it was my first try and it just worked.
    Dave

Dave,

That's exackty what I needed!
    I added the connection manually, entered the SSID and password for the Airport Express adapter, as I have it configured, and eCS connects to the base station fine now.

Thannk you so much!

Keith

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05