• Sound help for Win/OS2 and DOS session

From bikeguychicago@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 17 19:45:12 2017
    I installed eCS 2.1 on old Thinkpad R60 laptop in inherrited. The sound works fine under eCS itself. It does not work, however, under Win-OS/2 or DOS sessions.

I'm trying to figure out how to get sound working under these environments. Since the R60, wasn't an OS/2 supported machine from Lenovo, there aren't any Win-OS/2 or DOS sound driver available on the Lenovo web site. Are there generic drivers that can be
    used instead?

Also, it's been quite a number of years since I last used OS/2 or a derivative, so I'll need some hand-holding and lots of instructions on what I need to do to install any required drivers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Keith Sheehan

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dave Yeo@21:1/5 to bikeguychicago@gmail.com on Sat Mar 18 12:19:48 2017
    bikeguychicago@gmail.com wrote:
    I installed eCS 2.1 on old Thinkpad R60 laptop in inherrited. The sound works fine under eCS itself. It does not work, however, under Win-OS/2 or DOS sessions.

I'm trying to figure out how to get sound working under these environments. Since the R60, wasn't an OS/2 supported machine from Lenovo, there aren't any Win-OS/2 or DOS sound driver available on the Lenovo web site. Are there generic drivers that can
    be used instead?

Also, it's been quite a number of years since I last used OS/2 or a derivative, so I'll need some hand-holding and lots of instructions on what I need to do to install any required drivers.

You're pretty well out of luck for sound on DOS and WinOS2 unless you
    have really old hardware.
    One option is to use DosBox, somewhat slow but good for many old games
    Dave

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Pete@21:1/5 to bikeguychicago@gmail.com on Mon Mar 20 02:31:47 2017
    Hi Keith

bikeguychicago@gmail.com wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how to get sound working under these environments. Since the R60, wasn't an OS/2 supported machine from Lenovo, there aren't any Win-OS/2 or DOS sound driver available on the Lenovo web site. Are there generic drivers that can
    be used instead?

Thanks!
    Keith Sheehan

Sadly the uniaud sound driver does not support DOS/Win16 sessions.

There is a driver somewhere that does offer Win16 support called DTA -
    Data Transport Agent, I think - and may have some DOS support. The only
    place I can find a copy is in the ecomstation betazone so you need an ecomstation login to download the file.

The few old DOS games I have play well in DOSBox which has a virtual soundblaster.

Any idea what sound chipset is installed in the R60? - there may be an alternative driver.

Regards

Pete

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bikeguychicago@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Pete on Wed Mar 22 18:59:51 2017
    On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 9:31:47 PM UTC-5, Pete wrote:

Any idea what sound chipset is installed in the R60? - there may be an alternative driver.

According to the Lenovo site, it has an ADI AD1981HD chipset.

Thanks for the advice on DosBox, I will give that a go.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05