• Trashcan problem

From Mat Nieuwenhoven@21:1/5 to All on Mon Mar 11 22:08:58 2019
    Hi,

on my multiboot eCS/Linux system, a wrongly started Linux program
    almost filled up the eCS JFS startup volume. I just could start eCS,
    started to delete with a filemanager the 1000s of files (all under one directory) because several utilities complained about "incorrect file
    name" and other errors, also chkdsk. This took too long, so I used the
    drive object, and delete the object to the trashcan. Now the trashcan
    is unusable. As soon as I click on it, it goes to 100% cpu and stays
    there. The screen says "calculation size" or something similar, on the
    deleted directory.

How can I get rid of this? It is not a regular directory. I have a eCS maintenance partition and also Linux to work outside the normal eCS, if
    needed.

Mat Nieuwenhoven

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Andi B.@21:1/5 to Mat Nieuwenhoven on Tue Mar 12 20:03:21 2019
    Hi Mat,
    Mat Nieuwenhoven wrote:
    Hi,

on my multiboot eCS/Linux system, a wrongly started Linux program
    almost filled up the eCS JFS startup volume. I just could start eCS,
    started to delete with a filemanager the 1000s of files (all under one directory) because several utilities complained about "incorrect file
    name" and other errors, also chkdsk. This took too long, so I used the
    drive object, and delete the object to the trashcan. Now the trashcan
    is unusable. As soon as I click on it, it goes to 100% cpu and stays
    there. The screen says "calculation size" or something similar, on the deleted directory.

How can I get rid of this? It is not a regular directory. I have a eCS maintenance partition and also Linux to work outside the normal eCS, if needed.

Here x:\Trash is a regular directory as well as x:\arbeitsoberfläche\papierkorb. Don't
    know which one is used though. But \Trash is hidden. That doesn't hinder 4os2 or
    LarsenCommander to go into it. I have configured both to show hidden files. I can delete
    files there with both of them. You can also try 'dir /ah'. Guess 'cd Trash' will work with
    standard cmd.exe too.

I my experience I can not delete only files which have names with special characters and
    which are written while I'm running with a different codepage. In this case my only
    solution so far is copying all except the problematic files/directories to another
    partition and reformat. In your case you probably can delete from your Linux partition too.

Greetings, Andreas

Mat Nieuwenhoven

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andreas Schnellbacher@21:1/5 to Andi B. on Fri Mar 15 01:14:53 2019
    On 12.03.19 20:03, Andi B. wrote:

Here x:\Trash is a regular directory as well as x:\arbeitsoberfläche\papierkorb.

The Trash dirs in the root are the ones from XWP.

Beside the solutions for the command line, there exist a useful WPS
    extension for deleting almost everything. The objects from the launch pad
    are an exception, which require the OS/2 shredder object.

It removes the NODELETE=YES setting of files and objects and all file attributes that can make the XWP trash refer a deletion. It's the "mshred" object by Mark Kimes. I have it set to non-trashcan-mode, to make it do
    real deletion beside the XWP trashcan. In that mode it's called "The Mangler".

It's still available on Harald's site: ftp://cyberia.dnsalias.com/pub/filebase/gfd/wps/tool/mshred.zip

--
    Andreas Schnellbacher

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05