• Arca (??) support

From baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jan 9 16:09:49 2021
    I just received a message from Arca Noae today noting that they have finally 'fixed' their defective JFS Driver. I just found my original GG posting from June 2019 detailing my Arca JFS problems. For the last several years, in order to restore or
    backup, I need to first install legacy eCS on another partition, as eCS had no problems. This is solely an Arca issue. The only people who can use the fix are Arca costumers who bought and installed a defective Arca product. Now, over 18 months later,
    Arca states they have a fix available. HOWEVER, I would need to additionally purchase a new subscription to get a fix for something Arca broke (twice) and is critical to system functionality. The fix actually should be freely distributed, and on Hobbes.
    Maybe somebody could explain to me what is the goal of the Arca Noae business model?

thanks,
    Baden

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Thorolf@21:1/5 to baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com on Sun Jan 10 22:06:09 2021
    baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com schrieb:
    HOWEVER, I would need to additionally purchase a new subscription to get a fix for something Arca broke

I would assume, that the updated driver will be available for
    ArcaOS-Users with valid subscription too. Just as update.

Anyway, I assume that this is related only to the bootable JFS. There is
    no need and no reason to use JFS on the boot-drive, I personally would
    never do so.

HPFS is reliable, stable and fast enough for a small boot-partition,
    everything else can be placed on a standard, (more or less) stable JFS-partition.

--

Gruesse,

Thorolf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Robert Wolfe@21:1/5 to Thorolf on Mon Jan 11 16:12:05 2021
    + User FidoNet address: 1:116/18
    On 10 Jan 2021, Thorolf said the following...

Anyway, I assume that this is related only to the bootable JFS. There is no need and no reason to use JFS on the boot-drive, I personally would never do so.

Just keep in mind that for larger boot drives, HPFS will not work, IIRC, therefore one has no choice my to use JFS. I always use JFS because I always use one drive for my ArcaOS VMs without a hitch.
    --
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    + The FidoNet News Gate (Huntsville, AL - USA) +
    + The views of this user are strictly his or her own. + +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Doug Bissett@21:1/5 to @p0.f18.n116.z1[ASC46]fidonet[.]org on Tue Jan 12 04:59:37 2021
    On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 16:12:05 UTC, "Robert Wolfe" <@p0.f18.n116.z1[ASC46]fidonet[.]org> wrote:

+ User FidoNet address: 1:116/18
    On 10 Jan 2021, Thorolf said the following...

Anyway, I assume that this is related only to the bootable JFS. There is no need and no reason to use JFS on the boot-drive, I personally would never do so.

Just keep in mind that for larger boot drives, HPFS will not work, IIRC, therefore one has no choice my to use JFS. I always use JFS because I always use one drive for my ArcaOS VMs without a hitch.

There are a couple of good reasons to use a JFS boot volume. One is
    that JFS uses far less lower shared memory space (always in short
    supply in OS/2) than HPFS does. Second, if you end up needing a CHKDSK
    at boot time, HPFS takes much longer than JFS does, and it is very
    rare to have it actually "fix" anything with JFS. There are more
    reasons, but those are the main ones.

Personally, I would NEVER even consider using HPFS for a boot volume
    any more. I also use small (2 to 3 GB) boot volumes, whether in VMs,
    or not.

--
    From Doug Bissett's ArcaOS
    dougb007 at telus dot net
    (Please make the obvious changes, to e-mail me)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Doug Bissett@21:1/5 to baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com on Tue Jan 12 04:59:36 2021
    On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 00:09:49 UTC, "baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com" <baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com> wrote:

I just received a message from Arca Noae today noting that they have finally 'fixed' their defective JFS Driver. I just found my original GG posting from June 2019 detailing my Arca JFS problems. For the last several years, in order to restore or
    backup, I need to first install legacy eCS on another partition, as eCS had no problems. This is solely an Arca issue. The only people who can use the fix are Arca costumers who bought and installed a defective Arca product. Now, over 18 months later,
    Arca states they have a fix available. HOWEVER, I would need to additionally purchase a new subscription to get a fix for something Arca broke (twice) and is critical to system functionality. The fix actually should be freely distributed, and on Hobbes.
    Maybe somebody could explain to me what is the goal of the Arca Noae business model?

thanks,
    Baden

First, JFS has always been broken, from day one. The main prolem, that
    was fixed, was a very rare failure. They did add another fix for JFS
    boot support, simply because they have it.

If you need to install eCS, to restore, or backup, you have a
    different problem, and it is unlikely to have anything, at all, to do
    with the Arca Noae version of JFS.

Yes, you do need a subscription to get it. Arca Noae needs income to
    stay in business. They are not a bottomless pit like IBM was. If we
    lose Arca Noae, we lose OS/2. It is that simple. Support them, or OS/2
    is stuck where it is, unless somebody else is willing to do a LOT of
    work.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Doug Bissett on Thu Jan 14 23:01:28 2021
    Hi Doug:

If the problem only occurs on an ArcaOS JFS drive, I would be interested to know what could be causing it, besides the ArcaOS file system? Their one patch descriptor sounds awfully close.

Imagine if they were to openly distribute that fix. It might even a long way to getting some more subscriptions from me, which they have done their utmost to dissuade.

thanks,
    Baden

On Monday, 11 January 2021 at 22:59:37 UTC-6, Doug Bissett wrote:
    On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 00:09:49 UTC, "baden.ku...@gmail.com" <baden.ku...@gmail.com> wrote:

thanks,
    Baden

work.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Doug Bissett@21:1/5 to baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com on Fri Jan 15 22:04:25 2021
    On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 07:01:28 UTC, "baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com" <baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Doug:

If the problem only occurs on an ArcaOS JFS drive, I would be interested to know what could be causing it, besides the ArcaOS file system? Their one patch descriptor sounds awfully close.

There are more problems in JFS, some dating back to when Open JFS was
    first introduced (as the one that got fixed was). Whether one of them
    is causing your problem, I don't know. It is highly unlikely that the
    latest fix is causing your problem. It is a very rare failure, and not
    really repeatable. You could also have a code page incompatibility, or
    other things. The bottom line is that if eCS works, so will ArcaOS.

Have you analyzed the problem with DFSEE? Another package that is well
    worth every penny that it costs.

Imagine if they were to openly distribute that fix. It might even a long way to getting some more subscriptions from me, which they have done their utmost to dissuade.

It is available. Just pay for the priviledge of getting it. They
    distribute it to subscription holders. A subscription (whether for
    ArcaOS, or earlier versions of OS/2), is more than worth the cost.
    They are also cheaper if you stay current.

AFAIK, the source is available (or will be), wherever the Open JFS
    source is kept. Build your own. If you want support, and a ready to
    install package, pay for it. It comes with a whole lot of other
    things.

thanks,
    Baden

On Monday, 11 January 2021 at 22:59:37 UTC-6, Doug Bissett wrote:
    On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 00:09:49 UTC, "baden.ku...@gmail.com" <baden.ku...@gmail.com> wrote:

thanks,
    Baden

work.

--

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Doug Bissett on Wed Mar 24 22:49:46 2021
    Okay, I *finally* found what caused the traps. I was just reading on os2world how OS2AHCI.ADD is a replacement for the *506* drivers, which I never knew. I looked in my CONFIG.SYS, which had:

BASEDEV=OS2AHCI.ADD
    BASEDEV=DANIS506.ADD /!BIOS
    BASEDEV=DANIATAP.FLT

I subsequently removed the AHCI driver, and all worked well. I then reinstated it, and removed the DANI drivers, and all worked well. So, with a large (JFS) partition, and both drivers active, the system can trap.

Can someone let Arca know about this?

On Friday, 15 January 2021 at 16:04:29 UTC-6, Doug Bissett wrote:
    On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 07:01:28 UTC, "baden.ku...@gmail.com"

Have you analyzed the problem with DFSEE? Another package that is well
    worth every penny that it costs.

I fail to understand how DFSEE would contribute.

is stuck where it is, unless somebody else is willing to do a LOT of work.

I do not see Arca understanding what is required to remain viable. A functional web browser, wifi, and product support should be top priorities.

thanks,
    Baden

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05