• FreeBSD on the Framework laptop

From OSnews@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 25 18:34:29 2022
    It';s been a long journey these past few months trying to find a modern, compatible, FreeBSD laptop, and getting it to work well enough for daily use (everything except for gaming). For the past few months, I';ve been documenting my journey using this
    laptop, then I left the framework laptop and switched to a Thinkpad X260, and then a Thinkpad X1C7. This gave me perspective on what is considered "FreeBSD compatible".. After experiencing what that "compatibility" meant, and the work needed to get those
    machines up and running, I decided to come back to the framework laptop with that perspective, and try to get FreeBSD running on it again in a smoother capacity. I';ve finally succeeded! Everything isn';t perfect, but it';s pretty good, and will hold you
    until even better support comes to the machine. I can now pretty much say that you can use this laptop in a production capacity for your every day stuff.

Getting FreeBSD to fully support a modern laptop for desktop use seems like what it was like to get desktop Linux up and running smoothly on a desktop about twenty years ago. I love the idea of desktop FreeBSD, but I feel like there';s a long way to go,
    and I wonder if the people actually developing and contributing to FreeBSD are really focused on it (which is, of course, their prerogative).

https://www.osnews.com/story/135221/freebsd-on-the-framework-laptop/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)