• Google forces YouTube Vanced to shut down ‘due to legal reasons'

From OSnews@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 15 04:36:42 2022
    The popular Vanced YouTube app is being discontinued, after a legal threat from Google. The creators of Vanced have revealed the project will be shut down in the coming days, with download links set to be removed. While the app will continue to work for
    anyone who currently has it installed on Android, without any future updates it's likely to stop working at some point soon. The Vanced owners say they've had to discontinue the project "due to legal reasons."
    Google sent the Vanced owners a cease and desist letter recently, which has forced the developers to stop distributing and developing the app. "We were asked to remove all references to ‘YouTube', change the logo, and remove all links related to
    YouTube products," says an admin from the Vanced team in a Discord message to The Verge.

The most surprising thing for me is not that Google shut Vanced down, but that it took them this long. YouTube with ads is a terrible user experience, so I pay for YouTube Premium to get rid of them, but obviously, not everyone has the means to do so, be
    it financially or because of some inane Google restriction. Vanced offered a great alternative for these people.

With Google trying ever harder to monetise the hell out of YouTube views, it was only a matter of time before it would go after Vanced. In the past few months, I noticed a considerable uptick in mentions of and references to the application, and Google
    probably noticed too.

https://www.osnews.com/story/134673/google-forces-youtube-vanced-to-shut-down-due-to-legal-reasons/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)