• A practical solution for GNU/Hurds lack of drivers: NetBSDs rumpkerne

From OSnews@21:1/5 to All on Wed Feb 9 13:41:47 2022
    GNU/Hurd is the original Free Software operating system started in the 1980s. Its microkernel design has been evolving over the years and the project has not quite hit mainstream use. I believe this is due to one main reason: the lack of drivers for
    peripherals and hardware. In this talk, I explain how NetBSD kernel drivers have been reused in a microkernel setting and demonstrate their use to boot up a GNU/Hurd system via a userspace rump disk driver, with a driverless Hurd kernel, gnumach. The
    ACPI management, PCI management, and actual driver are in separate processes with RPC interfaces between them, which separates out their debugging, licencing concerns and execution.

Hurd is a neverending story, derailed by the massive popularity and uptake of the Linux kernel as the de facto standard kernel for the GNU project. I';d love for it to become more competitive, but the situation isn';t exactly looking great.

https://www.osnews.com/story/134539/a-practical-solution-for-gnu-hurds-lack-of-drivers-netbsds-rumpkernel-framework/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From OSnews@21:1/5 to All on Thu Feb 17 22:31:41 2022
    GNU/Hurd is the original Free Software operating system started in the 1980s. Its microkernel design has been evolving over the years and the project has not quite hit mainstream use. I believe this is due to one main reason: the lack of drivers for
    peripherals and hardware. In this talk, I explain how NetBSD kernel drivers have been reused in a microkernel setting and demonstrate their use to boot up a GNU/Hurd system via a userspace rump disk driver, with a driverless Hurd kernel, gnumach. The
    ACPI management, PCI management, and actual driver are in separate processes with RPC interfaces between them, which separates out their debugging, licencing concerns and execution.

Hurd is a neverending story, derailed by the massive popularity and uptake of the Linux kernel as the de facto standard kernel for the GNU project. I';d love for it to become more competitive, but the situation isn';t exactly looking great.

https://www.osnews.com/story/134539/a-practical-solution-for-gnu-hurds-lack-of-drivers-netbsds-rumpkernel-framework/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)