• Suggestion about Linux/Ubuntu Distro for my hardware (Ryzen)

From MaxTheFast@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 10 10:55:45 2019
    I've just built a PC with this following cgf:
    - amd ryzen 3 2200g 3.5Ghz with vega8 integrated graphics;
    - MB msi b450-a pro with latest bios V10.4 dec.2018;
    - ram 2x4gb kingston hiperx predator 3200mhz cl16

I'm a linux very newbie because I had used only lubuntu 12.04 many years ago for a while so I can say now I'm going to start from zero.
    Afaik there've always been some problems related to graphics in linux environments so I wonder if I'll get any with the vega graphics; I won't get a dedicated graph card. I'll use win10 for most of my SW but I'd like to use VLC and play streaming web
    videos in linux with no graphic troubles, if it's possible.
    Unluckly my ram works @2400mhz 17-17-17-39 1.368V by default on that cfg but I can switch on a-xmp profile2 @2933 15-17-17-36 1.368V and it works good the same and I guess it's safe for my system's "health" on the long period, isn't it?

That said I ask: should I avoid some linux distros for graphic troubles related to ryzen? will I get troubles due to OCed ram in linux? what linux distros can you suggest for my system stability, my graphics and friendlyness? I'd prefer an ubuntu DE due
    to its community support but I'll consider everything anyway (eg. Mint).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Henrik Carlqvist@21:1/5 to MaxTheFast on Sun Feb 10 19:54:16 2019
    On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 10:55:45 -0800, MaxTheFast wrote:
    should I avoid some linux distros for graphic troubles
    related to ryzen?

I have no experience from ryzen but in short when it comes to hardware
    support there is no big difference between different distros. Any
    differences are more related to different versions. Mostly you will need
    a more recent version of your prefered distro than your hardware.
    Sometimes you might need to update parts of your installation with newer "drivers" (kernel modules) to support your recent hardware.

A quick google points to this page: https://github.com/M-Bab/linux-kernel-amdgpu-binaries
    According to that page it seems that you will get at least some support
    for ryzen graphics out of the box if you choose a version of prefered distribution which includes Linux kernel 4.15 or newer.

regards Henrik

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From intertubes@gmx.net@21:1/5 to MaxTheFast on Sun Feb 10 13:17:22 2019
    On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 7:55:47 PM UTC+1, MaxTheFast wrote:

I'm a linux very newbie because I had used only lubuntu 12.04 many years ago for a while so I can say now I'm going to start from zero.
    Afaik there've always been some problems related to graphics in linux environments so I wonder if I'll get any with the vega graphics; I won't get a dedicated graph card. I'll use win10 for most of my SW but I'd like to use VLC and play streaming web
    Unluckly my ram works @2400mhz 17-17-17-39 1.368V by default on that cfg but I can switch on a-xmp profile2 @2933 15-17-17-36 1.368V and it works good the same and I guess it's safe for my system's "health" on the long period, isn't it?

That said I ask: should I avoid some linux distros for graphic troubles related to ryzen? will I get troubles due to OCed ram in linux? what linux distros can you suggest for my system stability, my graphics and friendlyness? I'd prefer an ubuntu DE
    due to its community support but I'll consider everything anyway (eg. Mint).

My personal experience is that AMD Graphics are better supported than Nvidia, at least when it comes to the Open Source drivers. The nouveau driver works badly at best on my Nvidia hardware, which is the reason I have switched to AMD.
    Going specifically to Vega, it could be too new. I'd look and see if your distribution(s) of choice say they support it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc Haber@21:1/5 to MaxTheFast on Mon Feb 11 19:45:33 2019
    MaxTheFast <gipsy.shadow.84@gmail.com> wrote:

A machine this big and then only 8 GB RAM?

Just try a reasonably recent Ubuntu and see whether X works. If it
    won't, I'd buy an el cheapo AMD graphics card and use that one until
    your processor graphics is decently supported.

Greetings
    Marc
    --
    -------------------------------------- !! No courtesy copies, please !! ----- Marc Haber | " Questions are the | Mailadresse im Header Mannheim, Germany | Beginning of Wisdom " |
    Nordisch by Nature | Lt. Worf, TNG "Rightful Heir" | Fon: *49 621 72739834

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05