• Windows Explorer File Renaming

From Chris Ahlstrom@21:1/5 to All on Tue Feb 6 10:56:58 2024
    So I was trying to rename a file in Windows Explorer. It was long filename. I would start changing the name, and then suddenly the file entry would seem to disappear. Look around in the <heh heh> "folder" and there is the original file. WTAF?

I finally opened a Git Bash windows and renamed the file there ("mv" command).

Goo-gooed afterward and found something related:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/788003/win-11-explorer-strange-behavior-when-renaming-or

"As you're making your changes to the filename every 10 seconds it'll throw
    away your current changes and go back to the original name while staying in
    edit-name mode. You really have to get the changes done within 10 seconds or
    you have to start again. I find myself having to rename things in 10 second
    chunks."

It seems like the issue might have been that I copied the file from OneDrive to my local drive.

As an aside, on Fluxbox I use Xfce's Thunar file manager whenever I need to drag-n-drop a file.

--
    You will gain money by an illegal action.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From candycanearter07@21:1/5 to Chris Ahlstrom on Tue Feb 6 11:08:23 2024
    On 2/6/24 09:56, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    So I was trying to rename a file in Windows Explorer. It was long filename. I would start changing the name, and then suddenly the file entry would seem to disappear. Look around in the <heh heh> "folder" and there is the original file. WTAF?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/788003/win-11-explorer-strange-behavior-when-renaming-or

chunks."

It seems like the issue might have been that I copied the file from OneDrive to
    my local drive.

As an aside, on Fluxbox I use Xfce's Thunar file manager whenever I need to drag-n-drop a file.

Wait what? That is incredibly silly and pointless. Something like having
    it time out after 10s of no input would be infinitely better and MAKE SENSE.
    --
    user <candycane> is generated from /dev/urandom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris Ahlstrom@21:1/5 to Joel on Tue Feb 6 14:07:36 2024
    Joel wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us> wrote:

So I was trying to rename a file in Windows Explorer. It was long filename. I >>would start changing the name, and then suddenly the file entry would seem to >>disappear. Look around in the <heh heh> "folder" and there is the original >>file. WTAF?

chunks."

my local drive.

Also, if select a file in the folder, and just sit there, after I dunno a half-minute Windows Explorer refreshes and moves to the top of the folder. Weird.

As an aside, on Fluxbox I use Xfce's Thunar file manager whenever I need to >>drag-n-drop a file.

There may be a practical WinGUI solution, opening the file properties
    and changing the filename within that dialog box.

Nah, I use Git Bash's "find" a lot. Even works on OneDrive. And the built-in Vim can open a PPTX file, and also open all the XML files inside it.

--
    "Not Hercules could have knock'd out his brains, for he had none."
    -- Shakespeare

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris Ahlstrom@21:1/5 to All on Tue Feb 6 14:08:41 2024
    candycanearter07 wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

On 2/6/24 09:56, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    So I was trying to rename a file in Windows Explorer. It was long filename. I
    would start changing the name, and then suddenly the file entry would seem to
    disappear. Look around in the <heh heh> "folder" and there is the original >> file. WTAF?

chunks."

my local drive.

As an aside, on Fluxbox I use Xfce's Thunar file manager whenever I need to >> drag-n-drop a file.

Wait what? That is incredibly silly and pointless. Something like having
    it time out after 10s of no input would be infinitely better and MAKE SENSE.

I think it is actually a refresh causing it. But yeah, dumb.

--
    "I understand this is your first dead client," Sabian was saying. The absurdity of the statement made me want to laugh but they don't call me
    Deadpan Allie and lie.
    -- Pat Cadigan, "Mindplayers"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05