• Add a rpath to an already compiled binary

From kb3ngb@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Quentin Godfroy on Thu Apr 19 19:19:04 2018
    On Monday, June 4, 2007 at 1:46:29 PM UTC-4, Quentin Godfroy wrote:
    On Jun 4, 4:14 am, Rainer Weikusat <rweiku...@mssgmbh.com> wrote:
    Quentin Godfroy <quentin_godf...@hotmail.com> writes:
    On Jun 3, 8:08 am, Rainer Weikusat <rweiku...@mssgmbh.com> wrote:
    beginning of the loaded file (see TIS/ ELF, p 2-2). Since e_phoff is >>the offset of the program header from the beginning of the file, >>e_phoff + (p_vaddr - p_offset) is the location of the program header

No. This is a guess.

It is the required file format for SVR4 ELF executables on
    Intel. Which happens to be the executable file format that is used on Linux, too. Even if this wasn't true, the kernel works the way it
    works and your program modifies a working executable in a way that it
    can no longer be executed. If is, of course, possible to modify the
    ELF code in the kernel to work with QG-ELF, too, but why?

Because it adds a lot of generality to the cost of changing TEN lines
    of code, and it makes the kernel respect the norm.

bumping an old thread because godfroy seems quite reasonable and i just feel like possibly annoying that cranky bastard who insisted that the kernel is sacred or something.
    christ coding in a kernel is abusing everything holy from time to time, you literally are writing the ticket... and you give him hell for what comes down to adherence to the spec? or rather his failure to adhere to your lazy, broken and more importantly
    conveniently illiterateness... it's appropriate that this fellow in the end was so damned arrogant he couldn't even hold himself to his pedantic and irritating standard. in another decade maybe someone else will get a laugh out of it and the curmudgeon
    will never forget...that PDF bit is a real gas. holes in it...maybe the wall afterwards. also thanks, a decade later, i'm dealing with some proprietary binaries in a closed system and this is helping me keep it working. if any of you larp at me about
    proprietary binaries, i swear to christ this thread will be open through the year 3000. the funny part is some people don't mind doing this sort of thing and aren't bitter trolls about it when someone does something useful even if they don't quite see it
    as such.
    personally i'm just probably mildly sadistic in certain ways and i'm really just enjoying the thought of this jackass blowing his top ten years after being a tremendous blowhard.
    good day to you kind sir, as for the rest of you lot, i've a sentiment for you today but not that one. :D

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From kb3ngb@gmail.com@21:1/5 to kb3...@gmail.com on Thu Apr 19 19:21:24 2018
    also, dynamic linking is a plague and if i am bitter over anything it is the way your mentality regarding linkage has salted the earth with this abomination so thoroughly.
    except fixes rpath, i like his style. the rest of you, that sentiment was you can go suck a barrel of eggs.

On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 10:19:06 PM UTC-4, kb3...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Monday, June 4, 2007 at 1:46:29 PM UTC-4, Quentin Godfroy wrote:
    On Jun 4, 4:14 am, Rainer Weikusat <rweiku...@mssgmbh.com> wrote:
    Quentin Godfroy <quentin_godf...@hotmail.com> writes:
    On Jun 3, 8:08 am, Rainer Weikusat <rweiku...@mssgmbh.com> wrote:
    beginning of the loaded file (see TIS/ ELF, p 2-2). Since e_phoff is >>the offset of the program header from the beginning of the file, >>e_phoff + (p_vaddr - p_offset) is the location of the program header

No. This is a guess.

It is the required file format for SVR4 ELF executables on
    Intel. Which happens to be the executable file format that is used on Linux, too. Even if this wasn't true, the kernel works the way it
    works and your program modifies a working executable in a way that it
    can no longer be executed. If is, of course, possible to modify the
    ELF code in the kernel to work with QG-ELF, too, but why?

Because it adds a lot of generality to the cost of changing TEN lines
    of code, and it makes the kernel respect the norm.

bumping an old thread because godfroy seems quite reasonable and i just feel like possibly annoying that cranky bastard who insisted that the kernel is sacred or something.
    christ coding in a kernel is abusing everything holy from time to time, you literally are writing the ticket... and you give him hell for what comes down to adherence to the spec? or rather his failure to adhere to your lazy, broken and more
    importantly conveniently illiterateness... it's appropriate that this fellow in the end was so damned arrogant he couldn't even hold himself to his pedantic and irritating standard. in another decade maybe someone else will get a laugh out of it and the
    curmudgeon will never forget...that PDF bit is a real gas. holes in it...maybe the wall afterwards. also thanks, a decade later, i'm dealing with some proprietary binaries in a closed system and this is helping me keep it working. if any of you larp at
    me about proprietary binaries, i swear to christ this thread will be open through the year 3000. the funny part is some people don't mind doing this sort of thing and aren't bitter trolls about it when someone does something useful even if they don't
    quite see it as such.
    personally i'm just probably mildly sadistic in certain ways and i'm really just enjoying the thought of this jackass blowing his top ten years after being a tremendous blowhard.
    good day to you kind sir, as for the rest of you lot, i've a sentiment for you today but not that one. :D

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)