• Time for a new wifi router to improve my far away wifi areas?

From Gobbling Ant@21:1/5 to All on Thu Nov 26 15:23:08 2020
    Hello.

I'm trying to fix my far away wifi issue that is weak, slow, unstable, and not connecting in the mostly one floor home. Currently, I use an old Netgear R6300 v1 from 2012 or so. It works great in close by rooms, but not far away rooms like the kitchen,
    family, garage, laundry, guest, etc.

I tried two different wifi extenders (Linksys RE4000W N600 Dual-Band Wireless Range Extender and Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Desktop WiFi Range Extender (EX7000-100NAS; AC1900) -- both have updated stock firmwares) to match the old router's wifi two (
    regular + guest WAPs) SSIDs, but they were unstable, not connecting, slow, etc. Many times, I had to physically reboot the extenders to fix the issues. I already tried changing their channels to avoid conflicts with neighbors, Arlo's base stations, etc.
    but they didn't help much. I don't know if getting another extender again would help after two different ones over the years. Maybe I need a new wifi router (will a mesh type be better?) since it's old?

If it is time for a new wifi router, then here what I need for it:
    1. A guest WAP for visitors to use my Internet and not touch my LAN stuff.
    2. Latest technology and security, but it still needs to work with old wifi devices like WPA2-SPK, WEP (very rare though), etc.
    3. Open source firmware support if alternative and future when official support is dropped.
    4. Reach far away places (up to 30 meters away) in an mostly one floor home. Family rooms, kitchen, etc. that are weak and unstable.
    5. Must be wireless only. No indoor wiring like network cables and power outlets.
    6. Price doesn't matter. Any good ones from Best Buy, Costco, Amazon, Fry's Electronics, etc.?
    7. Must not require an online account and apps to use and access the router/extender. Optional is OK. No phoning home too for privacy reasons.
    8. Still need network ports for my devices like my decade old PCs with their network cables.

Any suggestions? Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. Also, happy Thanksgiving! :)
    --
    Gobble, gobble! Life's so loco! ..!.. *isms, sins, hates, (d)evil, tiredness, z, my body, illnesses (e.g., COVID-19 & SARS-CoV-2), deaths (RIP), heat, interruptions, issues, conflicts, obstacles, stresses, fires, out(r)ages, dramas, unlucky #4, 2020,
    greeds, bugs (e.g., crashes & female mosquitoes), etc. D:
    Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see this signature correctly.
    /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org.
    / /\ /\ \ Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail.
    | |o o| |
    \ _ /
    ( )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Carlos E.R.@21:1/5 to Gobbling Ant on Fri Nov 27 14:55:31 2020
    On 26/11/2020 22.23, Gobbling Ant wrote:
    Hello.

I'm trying to fix my far away wifi issue that is weak, slow, unstable, and not connecting in the mostly one floor home. Currently, I use an old Netgear R6300 v1 from 2012 or so. It works great in close by rooms, but not far away rooms like the kitchen,
    family, garage, laundry, guest, etc.

Look for a router or access point with MIMO. Three aerials. They can
    beam the radio in the direction of the gadget you are using, thus
    increasing range and "speed".

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIMO>

--
    Cheers, Carlos.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ant@21:1/5 to Carlos E.R. on Fri Nov 27 15:14:45 2020
    Carlos E.R. <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
    Hello.

I'm trying to fix my far away wifi issue that is weak, slow, unstable, and not connecting in the mostly one floor home. Currently, I use an old Netgear R6300 v1 from 2012 or so. It works great in close by rooms, but not far away rooms like the
    kitchen, family, garage, laundry, guest, etc.

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Desktop WiFi Range Extender (EX7000-100NAS; AC1900) had three aerial
    sticks which didn't help even after adjusting. I used to have an old Linksys WRT54GL v1.1
    router with two aerial sticks, and that was worse before Netgear R6300 v1.0 router.

--
    Life's so loco! ..!.. *isms, sins, hates, (d)evil, tiredness, z, my body, illnesses (e.g., COVID-19 & SARS-CoV-2), deaths (RIP), heat, interruptions, issues, conflicts, obstacles, stresses, fires, out(r)ages, dramas, unlucky #4, 2020, greeds, bugs (e.g.,
    crashes & female mosquitoes), etc. D:
    Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see this signature correctly.
    | |o o| |
    \ _ /
    ( )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Carlos E.R.@21:1/5 to Ant on Fri Nov 27 23:30:58 2020
    On 27/11/2020 22.14, Ant wrote:
    Hello.

I'm trying to fix my far away wifi issue that is weak, slow, unstable, and not connecting in the mostly one floor home. Currently, I use an old Netgear R6300 v1 from 2012 or so. It works great in close by rooms, but not far away rooms like the

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Desktop WiFi Range Extender (EX7000-100NAS; AC1900) had three aerial
    sticks which didn't help even after adjusting. I used to have an old Linksys WRT54GL v1.1
    router with two aerial sticks, and that was worse before Netgear R6300 v1.0 router.

By "range extender" you mean something that is not connected by Ethernet
    to your network? That sort of thing is never going to work fine.

Of course, not only your router needs to be powerful enough, your
    portable devices need also to be powerful enough.

--
    Cheers, Carlos.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ant@21:1/5 to Carlos E.R. on Fri Nov 27 19:01:24 2020
    Hello.

Correct. Both extenders were like that.

Many portable wifi devices (e.g., iPhone 4S and 6+, iPad Air, MacBook Pros from 2012 and
    2008), etc. are old.
    --
    Life's so loco! ..!.. *isms, sins, hates, (d)evil, tiredness, z, my body, illnesses (e.g., COVID-19 & SARS-CoV-2), deaths (RIP), heat, interruptions, issues, conflicts, obstacles, stresses, fires, out(r)ages, dramas, unlucky #4, 2020, greeds, bugs (e.g.,
    crashes & female mosquitoes), etc. D:
    | |o o| |
    \ _ /
    ( )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Carlos E.R.@21:1/5 to Ant on Sat Nov 28 05:04:04 2020
    On 28/11/2020 02.01, Ant wrote:
    Hello.

Many portable wifi devices (e.g., iPhone 4S and 6+, iPad Air, MacBook Pros from 2012 and
    2008), etc. are old.

Then what would probably work is two (or more if needed) good access
    points, connected by cable, in different points of the house, so that
    all rooms get good signal.

--
    Cheers, Carlos.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Johann Beretta@21:1/5 to Gobbling Ant on Fri Nov 27 22:40:16 2020
    This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
    On 11/26/20 1:23 PM, Gobbling Ant wrote:

I tried two different wifi extenders (Linksys RE4000W N600 Dual-Band Wireless Range Extender and Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Desktop WiFi Range Extender (EX7000-100NAS; AC1900) -- both have updated stock firmwares) to match the old router's wifi two (
    regular + guest WAPs) SSIDs, but they were unstable, not connecting, slow, etc. Many times, I had to physically reboot the extenders to fix the issues. I already tried changing their channels to avoid conflicts with neighbors, Arlo's base stations, etc.
    but they didn't help much. I don't know if getting another extender again would help after two different ones over the years. Maybe I need a new wifi router (will a mesh type be better?) since it's old?

Why? Why are you spending money on extenders to extend the range of an
    old turd of a router? C'mon.. Spend the money on a new router. WiFi
    tech has increased massively in the last 8 years. We've got all sorts of
    new MIMO and beamforming capabilities. Hell, you don't have to spend
    more than $28 to get MIMO. So why waste money on extending the range of
    an ancient piece-of-shit (no offense)?

-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----

mQGNBF64/IEBDACVrdj4Yfr7PC/t7tBofnMWWDoWiRxl+Oo64YjsamZGiy0hJHfP ZhI/pnOgqhy6pzsF/8c9Dx9A9SSAJOvC96wMTHgdh4GbffekCwoIXcKZeg9bjXjV Nth5CYOSBTQ9C/pl/j0CwjBQ9mdyK7FoHMlBEmQ4ButtBJgPNjyruiFkBt2r/99u w+hZEt+tO3D69v2MBMVF8pjZWzDDoIsbCUQGtaDD4uAIMqdDl28yw5FeYFg7PKLJ DXft8pNm/4bWv7BizTEVwSkcpPMR/6v/gXUhUsqCoqaWT9oSALmO5l9JfuNk2mpP bjue5joPlpOzaH+ZC0et/eynzyTxOpIAL97g1SVQLqqKRMu3atFda53ZyMNAcH3G R1gV5kX1rM3Ajyw1d7hp1rAYINdB/O/Y8VkNn0j6NZmEi8E1AwK3hu4ZJPIr9FQF bsWmAtjIgO1VXHxvxB7nYF5o7M350hW9SZlkbDf9NWBUHJlc5j4WVEYCjw1C3y8h OwFl1RfDFETqmdUAEQEAAbQrSm9oYW5uIEJlcmV0dGEgPGJlcmV0dGFAbnVuLXlh LWJpem5lc3MuY29tPokB1AQTAQgAPhYhBJx2orrQOL31I0cnEBM/4/Zk8Q8TBQJe uP0PAhsDBQkB4TOABQsJCAcCBhUKCQgLAgQWAgMBAh4BAheAAAoJEBM/4/Zk8Q8T 0KYL/jL1DoQWCMil5EPlLSDG3iByV711VChSpWGbE4m2KrMjMdG0gQBNpg3IChKi tP5/5YdxHGKGjuDxvF/laTq/5KXosNmfdaJr9pmztOWT7tvmlwM+zUR782EQJeeU rGfv6TwYng7TUEaBH86Rg8m6fMKNqSt9MLly+p48Lv8TNj1RofvMv5Ng5xJWkGJ2 +yJ6k61h6Xg8OFY/AEs98OMejDKPq2PTZyH1BQKmyDk82wOGUdSkQoA41aZSckki aXFXIG97NhXY+dcZbOVCjXez0Iujo4vSCbM+x63fX7FyyNsG4f2vPfqhrqNGgrwD KQxYzWgVfvCqKpW6S75l0DfelMFAjM5GcpKs65vRyjRDuMlj6/jSN0O6Os8EOlhr lHBoY1PrBwTX+pBgb1esF2KLbFjfxGLzvbfR85TbYaZi/hohwD/rm+s5QWe03pO/ n85mdVxYAhAhvXsO6s7wfTm0qc/SK7Xp82aYOKVArarNgRIMul7UBo2786ZFhmZY wQGPQ7kBjQReuPzOAQwAoWku3K9ipwwiuH/9C8uUqY1kZy9VW/K7b5uXKww43Dl5 SAFTd+TC8nySqSacHohTQSnd8r3eZgX6az3SR30Y0F6Ftprbx0dkRABKtVzEcxCJ Y2+lqfT6aPIQh+tp/mmWVzrmeYlQNFVLNbu0Tk62K0sedfnhDGgqN4DEWQqgGfG5 Zsj1VcYoXYkt1V/U16GPs75aqWdt+OQmlDb2FQbo/HcsB1bdrE9A7fM39WQpod/k tkAZRJM6RX1f2hJAFwgBEKYieK4ZGfMtgxpIMnvBDwB1FuLw2sGshRtaPO8t0F+w jR/i6PEwCWZSaENhik+oAxDgaKPkxZHpzYS3RM67HoRie1ewuqAw77xeAI4WLbxo +FNg8W+kdPgdRkGeMaYot4hoVGpgF0q0cBPm97wAysxbAu/TDlX/ev4XEkRnZg7k ScCVTrkk9bSVIXs0uB8qkudcudrzokZJ+6v+X5JKgwOMBBSY7sk11T3azog6wxJN BuqS1wB/H4Kht9OMLoTVABEBAAGJAbwEGAEIACYWIQScdqK60Di99SNHJxATP+P2 ZPEPEwUCXrj8zgIbDAUJAeEzgAAKCRATP+P2ZPEPE1UNC/sFAMZnLH8OdDwflfhr iyESWHhRJb1xC4tlJzZ/ufbWY8SbVqO5HbA7EALwW3Ony8SNRRN/OUBw7bM12VPX 0ya6RTQHtPzweL98AnGu0YbyHtKwJrNlGQS0LKWDv4FWQ6f8HxZQt0EzhgRaudGE MHNACuKbxWFpvNAM95LNpLDjRE+DJYGnsDOCRRC4fFRTG0+vqIqgniQzHmn8ddr6 5NazPg07TJzqLjsNBcTCGvRivoRDRP75PnQS8VppnyWubbXJjffmuIG2iqHnY5as ibsSo+TJ+7UEhbNx+uQBKO5KXvG/u9eWgyJz/Uf47zUbG9v9vocbOSbylPHjC3uO ONw91nUHLmGzi3ZmeyPeCu6pyjz/dzUcqYS3iw1/q+UWyS+SOIaz9sAMd1q8QQwW CKubXtlM6DKdnxxNVV4NkwFIeOF6d1pFiIgojqbsNnkPVaFQDc+u9UkkpevBymwr a0HThxeNkYA6MDWSbxJjPvyy1OO2yERbo9RG2jzOx85j29o=
    =d5t3
    -----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ant@21:1/5 to Johann Beretta on Sat Nov 28 01:25:32 2020
    Johann Beretta <beretta@nun-ya-bizness.com> wrote:
    [-- text/plain, encoding quoted-printable, charset: utf-8, 22 lines --]

On 11/26/20 1:23 PM, Gobbling Ant wrote:

Why? Why are you spending money on extenders to extend the range of an
    old turd of a router? C'mon.. Spend the money on a new router. WiFi
    tech has increased massively in the last 8 years. We've got all sorts of
    new MIMO and beamforming capabilities. Hell, you don't have to spend
    more than $28 to get MIMO. So why waste money on extending the range of
    an ancient piece-of-shit (no offense)?

Hence, why I am thinking of getting a new router since it's old. What's
    a good one? Someone told me to look into mesh types like Netgear Orbi,
    Amazon eero, Google Nest, etc. However, they don't meet my requirements
    so far.

--
    Life's so loco! ..!.. *isms, sins, hates, (d)evil, z, tiredness, my old body, (sick/ill)ness (e.g., COVID-19 & SARS-CoV-2), deaths (RIP), interruptions, issues, conflicts, obstacles, stresses, fires, out(r)ages, dramas, unlucky #4, 2020, greeds, bugs (e.
    g., crashes & female mosquitoes), etc. D: Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see this signature correctly.
    | |o o| |
    \ _ /
    ( )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ant@21:1/5 to Carlos E.R. on Sat Nov 28 01:24:11 2020
    Hello.

Look for a router or access point with MIMO. Three aerials. They can >>>> beam the radio in the direction of the gadget you are using, thus

By "range extender" you mean something that is not connected by Ethernet >> to your network? That sort of thing is never going to work fine.

2008), etc. are old.

I wished the owners would let me cable this big house, but they won't. :(
    --
    Life's so loco! ..!.. *isms, sins, hates, (d)evil, z, tiredness, my old body, (sick/ill)ness (e.g., COVID-19 & SARS-CoV-2), deaths (RIP), interruptions, issues, conflicts, obstacles, stresses, fires, out(r)ages, dramas, unlucky #4, 2020, greeds, bugs (e.
    g., crashes & female mosquitoes), etc. D: Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see this signature correctly.
    | |o o| |
    \ _ /
    ( )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Hemphill@21:1/5 to Carlos E.R. on Sat Nov 28 11:44:07 2020
    "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> writes:

Hello.

I'm trying to fix my far away wifi issue that is weak, slow,
    unstable, and not connecting in the mostly one floor
    home. Currently, I use an old Netgear R6300 v1 from 2012 or so. It
    works great in close by rooms, but not far away rooms like the

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Desktop WiFi Range Extender (EX7000-100NAS;
    AC1900) had three aerial
    sticks which didn't help even after adjusting. I used to have an old
    Linksys WRT54GL v1.1
    router with two aerial sticks, and that was worse before Netgear
    R6300 v1.0 router.

My mileage varies. My eero Pros do quite well. It is a mesh network
    which operates on the standard 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, with an additional
    5GHz band which it uses for a backhaul. Not only do I get great speed
    in every corner of the house, I also have no trouble carrying a device
    (that knows how to roam) from one corner to another with a running
    application. It is easy to set up and manage with a cell phone app.

Scott
    --
    Scott Hemphill hemphill@alumni.caltech.edu
    "This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Johann Beretta@21:1/5 to Ant on Sat Nov 28 12:34:03 2020
    On 11/27/20 11:25 PM, Ant wrote:

so far.

I'm a big fan of MikroTik brand routers. I've got a one of the CCR
    (Cloud Core Routers) on the head-end of my WISP handling several hundred customers. Obviously you don't need one that powerful, but they all use
    the same OS and have roughly the same options. Very very customizable
    and security updates / upgrades are available for YEARS. Consumer
    routers generally stop receiving security updates after just a year or
    two and then you're running a router that ends up as part of a botnet.

mQGNBF64/IEBDACVrdj4Yfr7PC/t7tBofnMWWDoWiRxl+Oo64YjsamZGiy0hJHfP ZhI/pnOgqhy6pzsF/8c9Dx9A9SSAJOvC96wMTHgdh4GbffekCwoIXcKZeg9bjXjV Nth5CYOSBTQ9C/pl/j0CwjBQ9mdyK7FoHMlBEmQ4ButtBJgPNjyruiFkBt2r/99u w+hZEt+tO3D69v2MBMVF8pjZWzDDoIsbCUQGtaDD4uAIMqdDl28yw5FeYFg7PKLJ DXft8pNm/4bWv7BizTEVwSkcpPMR/6v/gXUhUsqCoqaWT9oSALmO5l9JfuNk2mpP bjue5joPlpOzaH+ZC0et/eynzyTxOpIAL97g1SVQLqqKRMu3atFda53ZyMNAcH3G R1gV5kX1rM3Ajyw1d7hp1rAYINdB/O/Y8VkNn0j6NZmEi8E1AwK3hu4ZJPIr9FQF bsWmAtjIgO1VXHxvxB7nYF5o7M350hW9SZlkbDf9NWBUHJlc5j4WVEYCjw1C3y8h OwFl1RfDFETqmdUAEQEAAbQrSm9oYW5uIEJlcmV0dGEgPGJlcmV0dGFAbnVuLXlh LWJpem5lc3MuY29tPokB1AQTAQgAPhYhBJx2orrQOL31I0cnEBM/4/Zk8Q8TBQJe uP0PAhsDBQkB4TOABQsJCAcCBhUKCQgLAgQWAgMBAh4BAheAAAoJEBM/4/Zk8Q8T 0KYL/jL1DoQWCMil5EPlLSDG3iByV711VChSpWGbE4m2KrMjMdG0gQBNpg3IChKi tP5/5YdxHGKGjuDxvF/laTq/5KXosNmfdaJr9pmztOWT7tvmlwM+zUR782EQJeeU rGfv6TwYng7TUEaBH86Rg8m6fMKNqSt9MLly+p48Lv8TNj1RofvMv5Ng5xJWkGJ2 +yJ6k61h6Xg8OFY/AEs98OMejDKPq2PTZyH1BQKmyDk82wOGUdSkQoA41aZSckki aXFXIG97NhXY+dcZbOVCjXez0Iujo4vSCbM+x63fX7FyyNsG4f2vPfqhrqNGgrwD KQxYzWgVfvCqKpW6S75l0DfelMFAjM5GcpKs65vRyjRDuMlj6/jSN0O6Os8EOlhr lHBoY1PrBwTX+pBgb1esF2KLbFjfxGLzvbfR85TbYaZi/hohwD/rm+s5QWe03pO/ n85mdVxYAhAhvXsO6s7wfTm0qc/SK7Xp82aYOKVArarNgRIMul7UBo2786ZFhmZY wQGPQ7kBjQReuPzOAQwAoWku3K9ipwwiuH/9C8uUqY1kZy9VW/K7b5uXKww43Dl5 SAFTd+TC8nySqSacHohTQSnd8r3eZgX6az3SR30Y0F6Ftprbx0dkRABKtVzEcxCJ Y2+lqfT6aPIQh+tp/mmWVzrmeYlQNFVLNbu0Tk62K0sedfnhDGgqN4DEWQqgGfG5 Zsj1VcYoXYkt1V/U16GPs75aqWdt+OQmlDb2FQbo/HcsB1bdrE9A7fM39WQpod/k tkAZRJM6RX1f2hJAFwgBEKYieK4ZGfMtgxpIMnvBDwB1FuLw2sGshRtaPO8t0F+w jR/i6PEwCWZSaENhik+oAxDgaKPkxZHpzYS3RM67HoRie1ewuqAw77xeAI4WLbxo +FNg8W+kdPgdRkGeMaYot4hoVGpgF0q0cBPm97wAysxbAu/TDlX/ev4XEkRnZg7k ScCVTrkk9bSVIXs0uB8qkudcudrzokZJ+6v+X5JKgwOMBBSY7sk11T3azog6wxJN BuqS1wB/H4Kht9OMLoTVABEBAAGJAbwEGAEIACYWIQScdqK60Di99SNHJxATP+P2 ZPEPEwUCXrj8zgIbDAUJAeEzgAAKCRATP+P2ZPEPE1UNC/sFAMZnLH8OdDwflfhr iyESWHhRJb1xC4tlJzZ/ufbWY8SbVqO5HbA7EALwW3Ony8SNRRN/OUBw7bM12VPX 0ya6RTQHtPzweL98AnGu0YbyHtKwJrNlGQS0LKWDv4FWQ6f8HxZQt0EzhgRaudGE MHNACuKbxWFpvNAM95LNpLDjRE+DJYGnsDOCRRC4fFRTG0+vqIqgniQzHmn8ddr6 5NazPg07TJzqLjsNBcTCGvRivoRDRP75PnQS8VppnyWubbXJjffmuIG2iqHnY5as ibsSo+TJ+7UEhbNx+uQBKO5KXvG/u9eWgyJz/Uf47zUbG9v9vocbOSbylPHjC3uO ONw91nUHLmGzi3ZmeyPeCu6pyjz/dzUcqYS3iw1/q+UWyS+SOIaz9sAMd1q8QQwW CKubXtlM6DKdnxxNVV4NkwFIeOF6d1pFiIgojqbsNnkPVaFQDc+u9UkkpevBymwr a0HThxeNkYA6MDWSbxJjPvyy1OO2yERbo9RG2jzOx85j29o=
    =d5t3

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Johann Beretta@21:1/5 to Ant on Sat Nov 28 12:40:50 2020
    On 11/27/20 11:25 PM, Ant wrote:

so far.

Whatever you do end up getting, unless you need the bandwidth provided
    by the default 80MHz wide signal, please narrow it down. ORBIs are, by default, bandwidth wasting pieces of shit. Few people actually have 1
    GBPS connections but ORBIs are set to an 80MHz wide signal that simply
    pollutes the local wireless spectrum.

=d5t3

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ant@21:1/5 to Johann Beretta on Sat Nov 28 15:18:18 2020
    Johann Beretta <beretta@nun-ya-bizness.com> wrote:
    Whatever you do end up getting, unless you need the bandwidth provided
    by the default 80MHz wide signal, please narrow it down. ORBIs are, by default, bandwidth wasting pieces of shit. Few people actually have 1
    GBPS connections but ORBIs are set to an 80MHz wide signal that simply pollutes the local wireless spectrum.

My cable is about 200 Mb/sec download and 10 Mb/sec upload. I hope
    Netgear Orbi are customizable to my needs. I was reading their PDF
    manuals overnight and they seem to have stuff I want like network ports,
    guest WAP, web access, etc. Now, I just need to pick a model:

1. Pro AC3000 Tri-Band Whole Home Wi-Fi System (2-pack; 5K sq. ft) [SRK60 / SRK60100NAS]
    2. AX6000 Mesh WiFi 6 System (newer; up 60+ devices)
    3. Whole Home Mesh WiFi 6 System with Advanced Cyber Security, 3-pack (RBK753S-100NAS; older; 7,500 sq. ft.)
    4. I doubt I will get RBK50 = 802.11ac (oldest -- can use web or app to setup; go up to 5K sq. ft.; 1 satellite).
    --
    | |o o| |
    \ _ /
    ( )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From William Unruh@21:1/5 to Ant on Sat Nov 28 21:28:58 2020
    On 2020-11-28, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
    Hello.

By "range extender" you mean something that is not connected by Ethernet >> >> to your network? That sort of thing is never going to work fine.

2008), etc. are old.

I wished the owners would let me cable this big house, but they won't. :(

What they probably won't allow is letting you drill holes in the walls
    or floor to run the cables. Running them outside the walls (along
    baseboards, over the doors, etc, it is not clear what they could do
    about that. all of the rooms already have holes in them (doors) tht
    allow passage of cables.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05