• Decompiled code CPP.COM from the Hi-Tech C compiler v3.09 for CP/M

From fridtjof.martin.weigel@gmail.com@21:1/5 to nikiti...@gmail.com on Fri Jun 25 15:34:37 2021
    On Wednesday, March 31, 2021 at 4:38:57 PM UTC-4, nikiti...@gmail.com wrote:
    среда, 31 марта 2021 г. в 20:31:59 UTC+3, Андрей Никитин:
    среда, 31 марта 2021 г. в 19:30:24 UTC+3, fred_...@hotmail.com:
    On Sunday, March 28, 2021 at 6:51:15 PM UTC-4, nikiti...@gmail.com wrote:
    Today on github.com I posted the decompiled code
    CPP.COM programs from the Hi-Tech C compiler v3.09 for CP/M and a new preprocessor for this compiler with support for C++ comments and compatible with the former. The code can be downloaded from the following link

https://github.com/nikitinprior/dcpp
    Very Welcome Change!

Thanks for your work! Much appreciated. Less changes to C code to bring to Z80. As a PS. The new CPP cannot
    be built on a "real box" -- it needs more than 63k CP/M (I guess zxc provides 64k environment, or maybe even
    larger). Not a serious issue....

Thanks Again!
    FredW
    Thank you for your kind wishes.

I compiled the new preprocessor using zxc. At first I tried to leave all the functions that were present in the file with the source code of the J. Schilling program. However, I ran into a lack of memory while optimizing the program. The next step
    was to remove some additional features that were missing in the Hi-Tech C version. That helped. The programs compiled normally. Perhaps part of the code needs to be moved into a separate function and the remaining little-demanded features should be
    removed.

In addition to handling C++ comments, it is important to be able to compile the program on real hardware. This is one of my tasks.

Regards
    Andrey Nikitin
    I installed a new preprocessor on my computer in the Hi-Tech C environment and in the process I will check the correctness of its work. I would be grateful to everyone who can help with testing and finding bugs. Together w can bring it to a good sta

Andrey

Hope you get this -- I have been using HI-TECH C 3.09 with your new CPP. So far, everything is great!

But note the following:

1 - #pragma, #error, #ident are... useless. just copied through. Can these be discarded? Or, just let them be
    bad preproc directives (saves space). HI-TECH z80 implements NO pragmas.

2 - It would be VERY useful to have "#warning message" -- just display file: line: warning: message on the console
    and continue. Do NOT copy through to output!

This would allow better compatibility with gcc. Right now, we can get a warning from GCC but NOT hi-tech

#ifdef z80
    ... something
    #else
    #pragma GCC warning "gcc not good here"
    #endif

does it. But... we cannot warn on z80 compile for anything... #pragma is copied through, and will
    cause an error in P1 We cannot use #warning, as that will cause CPP to fail. And that is why I
    would love to have #warning on the HI-TECH CPP. #error COULD be coded to exit(1) the preprocessor.
    That would be useful.

FredW

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From =?UTF-8?B?0JDQvdC00YDQtdC5INCd0LjQu@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jun 26 04:58:12 2021
    суббота, 26 июня 2021 г. в 01:34:38 UTC+3, fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com:
    CPP.COM programs from the Hi-Tech C compiler v3.09 for CP/M and a new preprocessor for this compiler with support for C++ comments and compatible with the former. The code can be downloaded from the following link

Very Welcome Change!

Thanks for your work! Much appreciated. Less changes to C code to bring to Z80. As a PS. The new CPP cannot
    be built on a "real box" -- it needs more than 63k CP/M (I guess zxc provides 64k environment, or maybe even

Thanks Again!
    FredW

I compiled the new preprocessor using zxc. At first I tried to leave all the functions that were present in the file with the source code of the J. Schilling program. However, I ran into a lack of memory while optimizing the program. The next step
    was to remove some additional features that were missing in the Hi-Tech C version. That helped. The programs compiled normally. Perhaps part of the code needs to be moved into a separate function and the remaining little-demanded features should be
    removed.

In addition to handling C++ comments, it is important to be able to compile the program on real hardware. This is one of my tasks.

Regards
    Andrey Nikitin
    I installed a new preprocessor on my computer in the Hi-Tech C environment and in the process I will check the correctness of its work. I would be grateful to everyone who can help with testing and finding bugs. Together w can bring it to a good sta

Andrey

Hope you get this -- I have been using HI-TECH C 3.09 with your new CPP. So far, everything is great!

But note the following:

1 - #pragma, #error, #ident are... useless. just copied through. Can these be discarded? Or, just let them be

2 - It would be VERY useful to have "#warning message" -- just display file: line: warning: message on the console

This would allow better compatibility with gcc. Right now, we can get a warning from GCC but NOT hi-tech

#ifdef z80
    ... something
    #else
    #endif

does it. But... we cannot warn on z80 compile for anything... #pragma is copied through, and will
    cause an error in P1 We cannot use #warning, as that will cause CPP to fail. And that is why I
    would love to have #warning on the HI-TECH CPP. #error COULD be coded to exit(1) the preprocessor.
    That would be useful.

FredW

First you write:

"#pragma, #error, #ident are... Can these be discarded?",

and at the end you offer:

"#error COULD be coded to exit(1) the preprocessor."

this is not entirely logical.

I am not the author of this program, but only adapted it for compiling HI-TECH C 3.09.

The code for processing the "#error message " directive was already present in the program and it only needs to be activated. I have made the appropriate changes to the program and I express my gratitude for the comment made.

As for other directives, they do not interfere and do not require a lot of memory.

The "#warning message " directive can be added, but in GCC it is implemented via #pragma. Therefore, compatibility with GCC will not be achieved.

Thank you for your comments

Andrey Nikitin

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From fridtjof.martin.weigel@gmail.com@21:1/5 to nikiti...@gmail.com on Sat Jun 26 06:32:40 2021
    On Saturday, June 26, 2021 at 7:58:13 AM UTC-4, nikiti...@gmail.com wrote:
    суббота, 26 июня 2021 г. в 01:34:38 UTC+3, fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com:

Very Welcome Change!

Thanks Again!
    FredW

I compiled the new preprocessor using zxc. At first I tried to leave all the functions that were present in the file with the source code of the J. Schilling program. However, I ran into a lack of memory while optimizing the program. The next
    step was to remove some additional features that were missing in the Hi-Tech C version. That helped. The programs compiled normally. Perhaps part of the code needs to be moved into a separate function and the remaining little-demanded features should be
    removed.

Regards
    Andrey Nikitin
    I installed a new preprocessor on my computer in the Hi-Tech C environment and in the process I will check the correctness of its work. I would be grateful to everyone who can help with testing and finding bugs. Together w can bring it to a good
    sta

Andrey

But note the following:

#ifdef z80
    ... something
    #else
    #endif

That would be useful.

FredW
    First you write:

"#pragma, #error, #ident are... Can these be discarded?",

and at the end you offer:
    "#error COULD be coded to exit(1) the preprocessor."
    this is not entirely logical.

I am not the author of this program, but only adapted it for compiling HI-TECH C 3.09.

The code for processing the "#error message " directive was already present in the program and it only needs to be activated. I have made the appropriate changes to the program and I express my gratitude for the comment made.

As for other directives, they do not interfere and do not require a lot of memory.

The "#warning message " directive can be added, but in GCC it is implemented via #pragma. Therefore, compatibility with GCC will not be achieved.

Thank you for your comments

Andrey Nikitin

Andrey -- The "#warning message" is actually supported by GCC. GCC produces

tuck:63:2: warning: #warning warning [-Wcpp]

If the "#warning# is inside a "#if 0 ... #endif", gcc ignores it -- BUT -- CPP.COM says:

tuck: 61: undefined control

AND STOPS THE COMPILATION. For a CPP directive inside of a block that is not being passed to P1 even! However, if the
    "#warning message" is changed to #pragma GCC warn "message"
    -- then GCC takes is as #warning and CPP.COM is ok with it because CPP.COM currently just passes the pragma along to P1.COM
    As long as the pragma is inside a #if 0 then CPP.COM DOESN'T pass it on (GCC only code) and the warning is given.

Since GCC *also* implements #warning -- if CPP.COM implemented #warning we could have warnings inside GCC only blocks
    and z80 only blocks.

Yes, I know you are not the orginal author -- I can make these changes on a fork. But I am hot and heavy in am9511
    and won't get to it until.. after am9511. If #warning is NOT implemented, #pragma is neded for my use cases. Everything
    is actually ok for me now that I have figured out the "#pragma GCC warn" work-around to the missing #warning.

And, thanks a whole bunch for the new CPP.COM ! This makes things easier. aAs an aside: If Iyou want to see a real HI-TECH C 3.09
    problem: try

long = (unsigned char);
    long = (long << 8) | (unsigned char);

That actually generates BAD C
    ODE
    !

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05