• Sad news: Mr. Emmanuel Roche

From Lawrence Woodman@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 19 00:55:41 2022
    Sad news I'm afraid. Jim Watt has just posted the following:

I am saddened to inform you that I have been advised by the civil
    authorities of Tonnay-Charente France that Mr. Emmanuel ROCHE died on
    December 20th. 2021. He was active on a number of CP/M projects at the
    time of his death and his enthusiasm and knowledge will be missed. I do
    not have any further information at this time.

Lorry

--
    Breakout Style Games on CP/M https://techtinkering.com/articles/breakout-style-games-on-cpm/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From retrogear@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 19 01:46:57 2022
    Sad news indeed. I was wondering why he hadn't responded to my last email in the end of November 2021. He was very interested in my
    revival of CCPM 3.1 for the IBM PC and requested a 720k 3.5 inch floppy image for his "IBM PC Convertible". He was my inspiration for
    continuing the project. I sent him the image and never received a reply. I remember his past references to "IBM PC Clown" which was how
    he described all the IBM PC compatibles that were produced over the years. Remembering that phrase brings a smile to my face.
    Rest In Peace Mr. Roche.

Larry G

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Fritz@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 19 13:01:47 2022
    Am 19.01.2022 um 10:46 schrieb retrogear:
    Sad news indeed. I was wondering why he hadn't responded to my last email in the end of November 2021. He was very interested in my
    revival of CCPM 3.1 for the IBM PC and requested a 720k 3.5 inch floppy image for his "IBM PC Convertible". He was my inspiration for
    continuing the project. I sent him the image and never received a reply. I remember his past references to "IBM PC Clown" which was how
    he described all the IBM PC compatibles that were produced over the years. Remembering that phrase brings a smile to my face.
    Rest In Peace Mr. Roche.

Larry G

Yes, very sad.

I had from time to time contact with him since the beginning of the 90th.

--
    -- Fritz

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steven Hirsch@21:1/5 to Lawrence Woodman on Wed Jan 19 09:18:02 2022
    On 1/19/22 3:55 AM, Lawrence Woodman wrote:

authorities of Tonnay-Charente France that Mr. Emmanuel ROCHE died on December 20th. 2021. He was active on a number of CP/M projects at the

Roche could be a bit odd in his attitudes, but he brought a lot of energy and enthusiasm to the community. I'm very sad to hear of his passing.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From hl351ge@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 19 17:56:12 2022
    Am 19.01.2022 um 09:55 schrieb Lawrence Woodman:

authorities of Tonnay-Charente France that Mr. Emmanuel ROCHE died on December 20th. 2021. He was active on a number of CP/M projects at the

Indeed, very sad.
    I was in email contact with him until mid october, and since then
    never got a reply from him again, which was rather surprising because he usually answered fast and friendly.

May he rest in peace.

Holger

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ogdenpm@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 19 09:25:33 2022
    Sad to hear.
    He and I had periodic correspondence over several years especially on CP/M and PL/M.

May he rest in peace.

Mark

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony Nicholson@21:1/5 to Lorry on Wed Jan 19 13:30:14 2022
    On Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 7:55:44 PM UTC+11, Lorry wrote:

Mr Roche made many fine contributions to preserving, researching and
    re-typing text concerning many details about CP/M software. These
    can be found in the archives of this newsgroup and related sites.

Long may they be preserved.

Vale Emmanuel

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From dxforth@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 20 09:44:37 2022
    Terrible news. He was always extremely enthusiastic which rubbed off
    on those around him. A keen interest in chasing down anything related
    to CP/M particularly if it was in danger of being lost.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jonathan Haddox@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 19 18:18:21 2022
    He certainly had a lot of energy, I worked with him on several projects, most recently getting Tarbell Basic restored from cassette tape so he could dis-assemble it and send a copy of the source code to Tom Dilatush the original author. He was very good
    at tracking people down. Before that I procured and shipped a TI Silent 700 to him, he had a strong desire for a paper based terminal. Once in a while I'd find a rare document and send it his way, which was always met with delight and he'd re-type it
    on his beloved Epson QX-10, (with annotations and corrections of course). R.I.P. Friend

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 20 05:48:53 2022
    I will always remember him as the french gentleman on comp.os.cpm

Adieu!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Udo Munk@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 20 02:53:18 2022
    I'm sorry to read this. Over the decades I had many contacts with Emmanuel regarding
    Digital Research and Mark Williams Company products. He was very enthusiastic about
    reviving the old software, which sometimes resulted in disputes and going on our nerves.
    But in the end his persistence resulted in documentation and source code, nowadays
    available for anyone who wants to use this.

Where ever you are now Emmanuel, thanks for your support over decades and I wish
    you all the best.

Udo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hector Peraza@21:1/5 to lorryw...@gmail.com on Thu Jan 20 06:44:17 2022
    On Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 9:55:44 AM UTC+1, lorryw...@gmail.com wrote:

I am saddened to inform you that I have been advised by the civil authorities of Tonnay-Charente France that Mr. Emmanuel ROCHE died on December 20th. 2021. He was active on a number of CP/M projects at the

Very sorry to hear about that. He was a very active member of this newsgroup, and although the frequency of his posts faded a bit during the last couple of years, I always read with interest his notes and retyped documentation of old articles and rare
    manuals. We had regular contacts via PM where he helped me, among other things, to trace back the origins of a rare one-pass PL/M compiler recovered from an old tape, and even found documentation about it.

We'll certainly miss his contributions and his sarcastic sense of humor (anyone familiar with the French culture will recognize his "attitude" as perfectly normal, with sarcasm used mainly as a joke and not meant to harm, even when it may have sounded
    rude to the ears of an English-speaking person.)

R.I.P.
    Héctor.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From marblypup@yahoo.co.uk@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 20 06:49:03 2022
    Sad news, indeed.
    My condolences to his friends and family.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tadeusz Pycio@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 20 09:12:20 2022
    Sad news. I was still corresponding with him until mid-November while I was working on CP/NET... RIP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From rwdeane@gmail.com@21:1/5 to lorryw...@gmail.com on Thu Jan 20 09:37:38 2022
    On Wednesday, 19 January 2022 at 08:55:44 UTC, lorryw...@gmail.com wrote:

I am saddened to inform you that I have been advised by the civil authorities of Tonnay-Charente France that Mr. Emmanuel ROCHE died on December 20th. 2021. He was active on a number of CP/M projects at the

Lorry

--
    Breakout Style Games on CP/M https://techtinkering.com/articles/breakout-style-games-on-cpm/

I used to help Emmanuel Roche obtain second-hand books and publications in the UK that he couldn't order from France, and one of those was in french, on the subject of the use of drums for long distance communication by tribes in Africa. In light of the
    sad news of Emmanuel's death I did a little google searching and discovered Emmanuel ROCHE (62 years old) Birth 03/12/1959 in CASABLANCA MOROCCO Death 20/12/2021 in Tonnay-Charente.
    This is definitely our Emmanuel because of the Tonnay Charente address.

Now comes a bit of speculation, given his interest in drums for communication, could he be the same Emmanuel Roche who was an occasional percussionist on Casablanca Records in the 1975-1979 period?

Regardless, I shall miss his eccentric requests for help, and his helping me with CP/M related problems.
    Richard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?B?0JDQvdC00YDQtdC5INCd0LjQu@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 20 13:36:59 2022
    четверг, 20 января 2022 г. в 20:37:50 UTC+3, rwd...@gmail.com:
    On Wednesday, 19 January 2022 at 08:55:44 UTC, lorryw...@gmail.com wrote:

I am saddened to inform you that I have been advised by the civil authorities of Tonnay-Charente France that Mr. Emmanuel ROCHE died on December 20th. 2021. He was active on a number of CP/M projects at the time of his death and his enthusiasm and knowledge will be missed. I do not have any further information at this time.

Lorry

--
    I used to help Emmanuel Roche obtain second-hand books and publications in the UK that he couldn't order from France, and one of those was in french, on the subject of the use of drums for long distance communication by tribes in Africa. In light of
    the sad news of Emmanuel's death I did a little google searching and discovered Emmanuel ROCHE (62 years old) Birth 03/12/1959 in CASABLANCA MOROCCO Death 20/12/2021 in Tonnay-Charente.
    This is definitely our Emmanuel because of the Tonnay Charente address.

Now comes a bit of speculation, given his interest in drums for communication, could he be the same Emmanuel Roche who was an occasional percussionist on Casablanca Records in the 1975-1979 period?

Regardless, I shall miss his eccentric requests for help, and his helping me with CP/M related problems.
    Richard

I have relatively recently become a member of the comp.os.cpm group, although I have often read messages from it before. I remember the messages from Emmanuel Roche. He was an active participant in the correspondence. He was interested in my work and
    managed to write me several letters. Emmanuel Roche lived only 62 years. It's not much, but he managed to do a lot of things. On the Emmanuel Roche page (https://www.z80 cpu.eu/roche-pages ) he laid out his family tree. I think he spent a lot of time and
    effort on compiling it. However, apparently he took everything seriously. He left the memory of his ancestors to the younger generation of his family. For us - restored documents and programs. It is sad that we begin to be interested in a person only
    after he leaves, when he no longer needs it. The memory of him will remain in our hearts for a long time. I express my condolences to friends and family.

Andrey

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From dott.Piergiorgio@21:1/5 to Lawrence Woodman on Sun Jan 23 14:52:34 2022
    On 19/01/22 09:55, Lawrence Woodman wrote:

Sad news indeed.

Rest in Peace, Emmanuel !

Dott. Piergiorgio.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marek Starobrat@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 4 02:18:19 2022
    Very sad news.
    Fortunately, all his posts and a lot of information about the CP/M operating system will stay with us in the group's archive. So at least it won't gone.
    Rest in peace.

Marek

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andreas Gerlich@21:1/5 to Lawrence Woodman on Mon May 9 21:26:23 2022
    On Wed, 19 Jan 2022 00:55:41 -0800 (PST)
    Lawrence Woodman <lorrywoodman@gmail.com> wrote:

Indeed sad news.

R.I.P.
    Andreas Gerlich

--
    University of Ulm, Germany
    Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Andreas Gerlich
    Open Source Project: Yet Another Z80 Emulator by AG (YAZE-AG)
    www.yaze-ag.de

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05