• ANN: FORTRAN-80 String Library

From fridtjof.martin.weigel@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 25 11:38:09 2021
    https://github.com/ratboy666/string

After I published APU.REL for FORTRAN-80 AM9511 support, I started using more Microsoft FORTRAN-80. The problem? String handling is very poor when
    compared to BASIC-80 (MBASIC or BASCOM). I did a little research, and found an article by D R Hanson. Hanson is known more for his work with SNOBOL4, but I found an article from November 1974, describing a technique for implementing strings in FORTRAN IV.
    I completed a "quick and dirty" implementation which I am publishing as STRLIB.REL

Enjoy! (this library was of great help to me in writing FORTRAN test routines)

Fred Weigel

PS. Feel free to suggest more or different routines for this library. I just implemented a string library that would help me.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From dott.Piergiorgio@21:1/5 to fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com on Thu Aug 26 10:13:39 2021
    On 25/08/21 20:38, fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com wrote:
    https://github.com/ratboy666/string

After I published APU.REL for FORTRAN-80 AM9511 support, I started using more Microsoft FORTRAN-80. The problem? String handling is very poor when
    compared to BASIC-80 (MBASIC or BASCOM). I did a little research, and found an article by D R Hanson. Hanson is known more for his work with SNOBOL4, but I found an article from November 1974, describing a technique for implementing strings in FORTRAN
    IV. I completed a "quick and dirty" implementation which I am publishing as STRLIB.REL

Enjoy! (this library was of great help to me in writing FORTRAN test routines)

Fred Weigel

PS. Feel free to suggest more or different routines for this library. I just implemented a string library that would help me.

you can give pointers and/or bibliographical reference for that Hanson's
    1974 article ?

Best regards from Italy,
    dott. Piergiorgio.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Udo Munk@21:1/5 to dott.Piergiorgio on Thu Aug 26 03:04:05 2021
    dott.Piergiorgio schrieb am Donnerstag, 26. August 2021 um 10:13:42 UTC+2:
    you can give pointers and/or bibliographical reference for that Hanson's
    1974 article ?

It is in Communications of the ACM, November 1974.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Captain Nemo@21:1/5 to Udo Munk on Thu Aug 26 15:25:32 2021
    On Thu, 26 Aug 2021 03:04:05 -0700, Udo Munk wrote:

dott.Piergiorgio schrieb am Donnerstag, 26. August 2021 um 10:13:42
    UTC+2:
    you can give pointers and/or bibliographical reference for that
    Hanson's 1974 article ?

A PDF of the article is available for free here: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/ 220427150_A_Simple_Technique_for_Representing_Strings_in_Fortran_IV

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From fridtjof.martin.weigel@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Captain Nemo on Fri Aug 27 06:04:35 2021
    On Thursday, August 26, 2021 at 4:25:38 PM UTC-4, Captain Nemo wrote:
    On Thu, 26 Aug 2021 03:04:05 -0700, Udo Munk wrote:

dott.Piergiorgio schrieb am Donnerstag, 26. August 2021 um 10:13:42
    UTC+2:
    you can give pointers and/or bibliographical reference for that
    Hanson's 1974 article ?

A PDF of the article is available for free here: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/ 220427150_A_Simple_Technique_for_Representing_Strings_in_Fortran_IV

Thanks, Captain Nemo!

Strange thing happened... And, it amused me, so I am sharing with the group here.
    Someone (user CTOsian - and I don't know who that is) posted my strlib link in github
    to hacker news (https://news.ycombinator.com/).

Normally, I will get a few visits to github, and a few downloads. I look to see if there
    is any interest. Don't expect much, because my stuff is not that popular. I mean, my most
    popular work is my qjs-ffi (foreign function interface for fabrice bellards quick js). That
    one has been forked three times, and may get as many as15 views in a day.

I was shocked to see that over 2000 people had visited the fortran string library!
    What the heck was going on? Because, um... FORTRAN-80 is a bit dead, you know. Turns out that people were coming from hacker news.

Fascinating, and amusing. Maybe some of them will become retro computing enthusiasts. We will see...

Fred

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Udo Munk@21:1/5 to fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com on Fri Aug 27 06:50:55 2021
    fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com schrieb am Freitag, 27. August 2021 um 15:04:36 UTC+2:
    I was shocked to see that over 2000 people had visited the fortran string library!
    What the heck was going on? Because, um... FORTRAN-80 is a bit dead, you know.

I would be careful with such statements ;-) You see, F80 3.44 is a very efficient compiler
    for 8080 systems, no C compiler and the like produces so dense code. Is as good as
    Intel's PLM compiler for 8080. Unfortunately it is not fully standard compatible as
    Microsoft claims, I have example code that compiles and works OK with any other FORTRAN IV compiler than the one from Microsoft.

For example, when people look into my GSX-80 stuff they start to wonder why the hell
    I implemented the Tek GSX driver in FORTRAN instead of using a modern language. Here is your answers:

1. because I can, or lets say I wanted to know if I still can write low level driver code
    in FORTRAN.
    2. the GSX drivers are loadable, GSX needs to reserve space for the largest driver in
    the configuration in case you switch workstations. I clearly did not want to be the
    largest guy and with using FORTRAN-80 instead of another language compiler
    I managed to do that.
    3. Good example to show that low level driver code can be written structured well even in FORTRAN IV, if used properly it won't result in unreadable spaghetti
    code.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Captain Nemo@21:1/5 to fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com on Fri Aug 27 15:44:15 2021
    On Fri, 27 Aug 2021 06:04:35 -0700, fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com wrote:

I was shocked to see that over 2000 people had visited the fortran
    string library!
    Turns out that people were coming from hacker news.

In my case, I actually use (play with, more than anything) FORTRAN-80 on
    my TRS-80 4P and Kaypros.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From fridtjof.martin.weigel@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Udo Munk on Fri Sep 3 08:50:48 2021
    On Friday, August 27, 2021 at 9:50:56 AM UTC-4, Udo Munk wrote:
    fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com schrieb am Freitag, 27. August 2021 um 15:04:36 UTC+2:
    I would be careful with such statements ;-) You see, F80 3.44 is a very efficient compiler
    for 8080 systems, no C compiler and the like produces so dense code. Is as good as
    Intel's PLM compiler for 8080. Unfortunately it is not fully standard compatible as
    Microsoft claims, I have example code that compiles and works OK with any other
    FORTRAN IV compiler than the one from Microsoft.

For example, when people look into my GSX-80 stuff they start to wonder why the hell
    I implemented the Tek GSX driver in FORTRAN instead of using a modern language.
    Here is your answers:

1. because I can, or lets say I wanted to know if I still can write low level driver code
    in FORTRAN.
    2. the GSX drivers are loadable, GSX needs to reserve space for the largest driver in
    the configuration in case you switch workstations. I clearly did not want to be the
    largest guy and with using FORTRAN-80 instead of another language compiler
    I managed to do that.
    3. Good example to show that low level driver code can be written structured well even in FORTRAN IV, if used properly it won't result in unreadable spaghetti
    code.
    Udo

Can you post an example of FORTRAN IV that doesn't work with F80? I am curious. So far, except for INTEGER is only 1/2 storage unit, not 1, everything appears ok
    (when looking at code generation). IBM 1130 FORTRAN did the same thing (but you needed *ONE WORD INTEGERS control card to turn that behaviour on).

I don't like the forced ordering of statements in F80. That prevents using INCLUDE
    to bring in COMMON definitions (the type and COMMON need to be split).
    Same deal with EQUIVALENCE. Just plain annoying. That, and the lack
    of COMPLEX.

Also, I just updated STRLIB. Added Command Line access, prompted string input, some functions to help with using ENCODE/DECODE. I think it is now "feature complete" as they say.

Fred

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Udo Munk@21:1/5 to fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com on Fri Sep 3 09:23:01 2021
    fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com schrieb am Freitag, 3. September 2021 um 17:50:49 UTC+2:
    Can you post an example of FORTRAN IV that doesn't work with F80? I am curious.

The chess program here: https://www.autometer.de/unix4fun/z80pack/ftp/sources/stuff/
    On Z80 systems you can use Cromemco FORTRAN-IV but not F80.
    Also compiles OK with modern GNU FORTRAN compilers, or the old f77 one.

I don't like the forced ordering of statements in F80. That prevents using INCLUDE
    of COMPLEX.

Well, the lack of COMPLEX is OK, because it implements subset G.
    But the not properly implemented features of the subset are annoying.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From fridtjof.martin.weigel@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Udo Munk on Fri Sep 3 11:29:37 2021
    On Friday, September 3, 2021 at 12:23:03 PM UTC-4, Udo Munk wrote:
    fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com schrieb am Freitag, 3. September 2021 um 17:50:49 UTC+2:
    The chess program here: https://www.autometer.de/unix4fun/z80pack/ftp/sources/stuff/
    of COMPLEX.
    Udo

Thanks.

I am going to compile it and see what is going on!

Fred

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From fridtjof.martin.weigel@gmail.com@21:1/5 to fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com on Fri Sep 3 12:24:46 2021
    On Friday, September 3, 2021 at 2:29:38 PM UTC-4, fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com wrote:
    to bring in COMMON definitions (the type and COMMON need to be split). Same deal with EQUIVALENCE. Just plain annoying. That, and the lack
    of COMPLEX.
    Udo

Thanks.

Fred

I added a name to the BLOCK DATA, change LP and LR to both be 1, compiling for second time,
    will then link and attempt a run. This FORTRAN code predates FORTRAN 66 - maybe started with
    a FORTRAN II program? (heavily arithmetic IF). EQUIVALENCE is not used, nor are REAL or INTEGER, so its not
    a size unit issue. Some logical IF, but they appear added later. Lots of COMMON, *and* 12 parameters
    for WMOVE(). FUNCTION is not used, only SUBROUTINE.

Fred

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From fridtjof.martin.weigel@gmail.com@21:1/5 to fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com on Fri Sep 3 12:34:07 2021
    On Friday, September 3, 2021 at 3:24:47 PM UTC-4, fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Friday, September 3, 2021 at 2:29:38 PM UTC-4, fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com wrote:
    to bring in COMMON definitions (the type and COMMON need to be split). Same deal with EQUIVALENCE. Just plain annoying. That, and the lack
    of COMPLEX.
    Udo

Thanks.

Fred
    I added a name to the BLOCK DATA, change LP and LR to both be 1, compiling for second time,
    will then link and attempt a run. This FORTRAN code predates FORTRAN 66 - maybe started with
    a FORTRAN II program? (heavily arithmetic IF). EQUIVALENCE is not used, nor are REAL or INTEGER, so its not
    a size unit issue. Some logical IF, but they appear added later. Lots of COMMON, *and* 12 parameters

Fred

Now, with the three changes indicated, link and run:

chess

MIKES CHESS PROGRAM

LEVEL 0 OR 1 ?0

COMPUTER TO PLAY WHITE (0) OR BLACK (1) ? 0

1. MY MOVE:-
    E2-E4
    YOUR MOVE:- ?

YOUR MOVE:-

I don't actually know how to use this program...

Fred

To summarize

BLOCKDATA becomes BLOCKDATA DATA

LP=1 and LR=1

compile, link and run!

What did you see as the issue? I will try a deeper game later, once I figure out how to make it print a board out...

Fred

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From fridtjof.martin.weigel@gmail.com@21:1/5 to fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com on Fri Sep 3 13:38:11 2021
    On Friday, September 3, 2021 at 3:34:08 PM UTC-4, fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Friday, September 3, 2021 at 3:24:47 PM UTC-4, fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com wrote:
    Same deal with EQUIVALENCE. Just plain annoying. That, and the lack of COMPLEX.
    Udo

Thanks.

Fred

Fred
    Now, with the three changes indicated, link and run:

chess

MIKES CHESS PROGRAM

LEVEL 0 OR 1 ?0

COMPUTER TO PLAY WHITE (0) OR BLACK (1) ? 0

1. MY MOVE:-
    E2-E4
    YOUR MOVE:- ?

YOUR MOVE:-

Fred

To summarize

LP=1 and LR=1

compile, link and run!

What did you see as the issue? I will try a deeper game later, once I figure out how to make it print a board out...

Fred
    And it plays -- very weak chess. But it plays!

The lack of a name on the BLOCK DATA may have been a mess-up:
    Just tried it - leads to multiple definition of $MAIN
    The first is the real $MAIN, so the second is not loaded. Which happens to be all the initialization data! The fix is to put a name on the BLOCKDATA line (pretty much any name
    will do: I used DATA, and that should work for gfortran as well)

Fred

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Udo Munk@21:1/5 to fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com on Fri Sep 3 14:10:25 2021
    fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com schrieb am Freitag, 3. September 2021 um 21:24:47 UTC+2:

Yes, that predates FORTRAN 66, we used it decades ago on IBM mainframes with FORTRAN or FORTRAN II,
    and later was modified for IBM's FORTRAN IV.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Udo Munk@21:1/5 to fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com on Fri Sep 3 14:13:18 2021
    fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com schrieb am Freitag, 3. September 2021 um 21:34:08 UTC+2:

There also is a textile that explains how to play.

Yep, but unnamed BLOCKDATA is valid in the standard.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Udo Munk@21:1/5 to fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com on Fri Sep 3 14:16:36 2021
    fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com schrieb am Freitag, 3. September 2021 um 22:38:12 UTC+2:
    And it plays -- very weak chess. But it plays!
    Yep, but it is pretty much the first chess program that can play a complete game.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From fridtjof.martin.weigel@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Udo Munk on Fri Sep 3 18:37:53 2021
    On Friday, September 3, 2021 at 5:13:19 PM UTC-4, Udo Munk wrote:
    fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com schrieb am Freitag, 3. September 2021 um 21:34:08 UTC+2:
    There also is a textile that explains how to play.

Yep, but unnamed BLOCKDATA is valid in the standard.

Yes, that is a violation of F80. But it was a "quick fix". It doesn't seem play quite as well
    as Microchess. I think I'll have to arrange a competition (have you tried that?).

It does suffer from "position blindness". I convinced it to give up 2 bishops and a knight to
    protect its queen. That was a problem with Microchess as well, "back in the day".

Fred

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Udo Munk@21:1/5 to fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com on Sat Sep 4 01:13:26 2021
    fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com schrieb am Samstag, 4. September 2021 um 03:37:54 UTC+2:
    Yes, that is a violation of F80. But it was a "quick fix". It doesn't seem play quite as well
    as Microchess. I think I'll have to arrange a competition (have you tried that?).

I know, I just left as is to show the false claims of Microsoft about their implementation
    compatible to the subset G standard.

Yes, it plays worse than even Microchess. It gets better at level 1, but that requires a much
    faster modern system, on a 2-4 MHz 8 bit processor it takes ages to compute a move.

It does suffer from "position blindness". I convinced it to give up 2 bishops and a knight to
    protect its queen. That was a problem with Microchess as well, "back in the day".

This is the problem of all the early chess programs, no position awareness, just an implementation
    based on the Claude Shannon paper. Later programs like MyChess and Sargon are much better.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Hanscom@21:1/5 to Udo Munk on Sat Sep 4 10:02:46 2021
    On Saturday, September 4, 2021 at 1:13:27 AM UTC-7, Udo Munk wrote:
    .... <snip> ....
    Later programs like MyChess and Sargon are much better.

But I think I remember being highly disappointed by Sargon? I got the book (with the code listed), and tried to get it working on my Z80. I couldn't afford to purchase the actual program. I found that it cheated!! But, maybe I just broke the code in
    porting it to my system? The book version utilized graphics, and I had no graphics capability on my (then) primitive Z80.

Roger

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Udo Munk@21:1/5 to norwe...@gmail.com on Sat Sep 4 11:49:08 2021
    norwe...@gmail.com schrieb am Samstag, 4. September 2021 um 19:02:47 UTC+2:
    On Saturday, September 4, 2021 at 1:13:27 AM UTC-7, Udo Munk wrote:
    .... <snip> ....
    Later programs like MyChess and Sargon are much better.
    But I think I remember being highly disappointed by Sargon? I got the book (with the code listed), and tried
    to get it working on my Z80. I couldn't afford to purchase the actual program. I found that it cheated!! But,
    maybe I just broke the code in porting it to my system? The book version utilized graphics, and I had no
    graphics capability on my (then) primitive Z80.

No the program didn't cheat, but the listing from the book has two known bugs that later were fixed.
    The initial program was for a Z80 systems with pseudo graphics character set, but it also got ported
    to CP/M utilising the usual board printout with ASCII characters. Both, Sargon and Sargon 2 still
    are available for CP/M, you can find copies on the chess disk in the z80pack repository here:

https://www.autometer.de/unix4fun/z80pack/ftp/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roger Hanscom@21:1/5 to Udo Munk on Sun Sep 5 12:58:04 2021
    On Saturday, September 4, 2021 at 11:49:09 AM UTC-7, Udo Munk wrote: .....<snip>......
    Both, Sargon and Sargon 2 still are available for CP/M,

Udo, do you know, offhand, what the difference is between Sargon and Sargon 2 ??

Roger

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From fridtjof.martin.weigel@gmail.com@21:1/5 to norwe...@gmail.com on Sun Sep 5 15:21:14 2021
    On Sunday, September 5, 2021 at 3:58:05 PM UTC-4, norwe...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Saturday, September 4, 2021 at 11:49:09 AM UTC-7, Udo Munk wrote: .....<snip>......
    Udo, do you know, offhand, what the difference is between Sargon and Sargon 2 ??

Roger

Sargon was the original program released in 1978, Sargon 2 was an improvement, released in 1979.
    Sargon 2 is much stronger. But, hey, I was coding for Microchess (TRS-80 and PET displays) back then,
    so I *am* biased. My comment was about CHESS.FOR, which Sargon would east for breakfast
    (I just played a game or two with CHESS.FOR).

As a PS for Udo: how about "ASSIGN 1 TO I", then later "GOTO I" in Microsoft F80. Nicely generates
    "LHLD I, PCHL"! That is rather sweet. Since I does not have to be declared "label associated" as there
    is no way to do that in FORTRAN IV anyway, this allow us to implement jump vectors and threaded
    code directly! Maybe I'll play with it a bit -- but, consider. A RETURN is just that: RET. No stack parameters
    are used. Which means that pushing some INTEGER labels into COMMON then F80 gains some "hyper"
    flow control. Amuses me... Didn't use this "back in the day" -- we kind of frowned on assigned goto.

Fred

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Udo Munk@21:1/5 to fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com on Mon Sep 6 00:39:18 2021
    fridtjof.ma...@gmail.com schrieb am Montag, 6. September 2021 um 00:21:15 UTC+2:
    Sargon was the original program released in 1978, Sargon 2 was an improvement, released in 1979.
    Sargon 2 is much stronger. But, hey, I was coding for Microchess (TRS-80 and PET displays) back then,

Cool, I had Microchess 2.0 for the PET and Apple, loved to play against these due to lack
    of human opponents.

so I *am* biased. My comment was about CHESS.FOR, which Sargon would east for breakfast
    (I just played a game or two with CHESS.FOR).

Playing against CHESS.FOR is not a challenge, but the source is interesting.

As a PS for Udo: how about "ASSIGN 1 TO I", then later "GOTO I" in Microsoft F80. Nicely generates
    "LHLD I, PCHL"! That is rather sweet. Since I does not have to be declared "label associated" as there
    is no way to do that in FORTRAN IV anyway, this allow us to implement jump vectors and threaded
    code directly! Maybe I'll play with it a bit -- but, consider. A RETURN is just that: RET. No stack parameters
    are used. Which means that pushing some INTEGER labels into COMMON then F80 gains some "hyper"
    flow control. Amuses me... Didn't use this "back in the day" -- we kind of frowned on assigned goto.

Computed GO TO's, don't know why they frowned on it, properly used it allows to write very fast dispatcher
    code, like for example I did in the Tektronix gsx80 driver:

C
    C DISPATCH ON OPCODE
    C
    GOTO(1100,1200,1300,1400,1500,1600,1700,1800,1900,2000,
    1 2100,2200,2300,2400,2500,2600,2700,2800,2900,3000,
    2 3100,3200,3300,3400,3500,3600,3700,3800,3900,4000,
    3 4100,4200,4300),OPCODE
    RETURN

This is not different from a case in C and the compiler generates very efficient code. Can be
    abused of course for really hard to understand spaghetti code jumping forth and back all over
    the place.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Udo Munk@21:1/5 to norwe...@gmail.com on Mon Sep 6 00:22:17 2021
    norwe...@gmail.com schrieb am Sonntag, 5. September 2021 um 21:58:05 UTC+2:

Sargon 2 is much stronger, average players will have problems to beat it even at lower settings.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05