• Running COHERENT on PCem

From Udo Munk@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 7 16:28:04 2018
    That looks pretty good, some demo videos for now until I wrote stuff up
    at the web site.

3.0 : https://youtu.be/LpVYGQWFrc0
    4.0 : https://youtu.be/hQ4oACPtzgU
    4.2 : https://youtu.be/GgtguRAPX7k

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Udo Munk@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 9 14:42:29 2018
    Tested the 3.x releases on PCem, some of the disk images were wrong:

The 3.0.0 ddk disk actually is a 3.1.0 ddk.
    From the 3.2.0 ddk disks one was unreadable, the other was a 386 ddk.

Web site corrected.

Update from 3.0 -> 3.1 -> 3.2 works OK.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Udo Munk@21:1/5 to All on Mon Feb 19 14:25:47 2018
    A disk image for PCem is available with an installation of COHERENT 4.0.1,
    DDK und update to COHERENT 4.0.1r72.

The web site explains the installation procedure for this.

This is a pretty good 4.0 development system as we had it in 1993, ready
    to install the bitmapped graphics device driver and bring up MGR on
    the system.

Have fun,
    Udo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mikey@21:1/5 to Udo Munk on Wed Feb 28 17:34:27 2018
    On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 6:25:48 AM UTC+8, Udo Munk wrote:
    A disk image for PCem is available with an installation of COHERENT 4.0.1, DDK und update to COHERENT 4.0.1r72.

the system.

Have fun,
    Udo

Thank you very much for all the disks for Coherent 3 and 4.
    With your latest addition of the Coh-4.0.1 y2k patched bootdisk and the ddk sets, we have now a complete set of Coherents for fun.

One question though, Is it possible to have two more different OS variants co-existing on ONE virtual hard disk ? Have been trying to get Coherent 3x succesively upgraded, together with SLS 1.04 and Slackware-1.01 all into one virtual hdd. Had to change around floppies disk-type, CDROM images and using qemu as well as VirtualBox emulators to get the three dists. into one HDD. PCem
    could only run 2 out of three combo in one hdd so created.

Best regards,

michael.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Udo Munk@21:1/5 to mikey on Wed Feb 28 22:19:16 2018
    On Thursday, March 1, 2018 at 2:34:28 AM UTC+1, mikey wrote:
    On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 6:25:48 AM UTC+8, Udo Munk wrote:
    A disk image for PCem is available with an installation of COHERENT 4.0.1, DDK und update to COHERENT 4.0.1r72.

the system.

Have fun,
    Udo

Last night I uploaded a 3.1 disk image that as bonus has swapping activated. Still
    need to write up how to configure this with the DDK, should be there in the next
    few days.

Thank you very much for all the disks for Coherent 3 and 4.

You are welcome. Many of the images were contributed by others, I have no hardware anymore to image 5.25" floppy disks, only 3.5" ones.

With your latest addition of the Coh-4.0.1 y2k patched bootdisk and the ddk sets,
    we have now a complete set of Coherents for fun.

I think the 3.2 update still needs the Y2K fix, but is the same patch as for 3.0
    and can be build self from the patch files for 3.0, until I get at that one.

One question though, Is it possible to have two more different OS variants co-existing on ONE virtual hard disk ? Have been trying to get Coherent 3x succesively upgraded, together with SLS 1.04 and Slackware-1.01 all into one virtual hdd. Had to change around floppies disk-type, CDROM images and using qemu as well as VirtualBox emulators to get the three dists. into one HDD. PCem

Yes that is possible. Always install everything else before COHERENT, install it
    as the last OS and use the MWC master boot for booting all OS's. The MWC boot code is one fine piece of art work, other boot code from this era has problems that need to be fixed.

I have not yet found time to write bug reports for PCem and now they a freezing it in for release 14. Guess I'll wait and have a look at this first, and then see what
    still is not working correct.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mikey@21:1/5 to Udo Munk on Fri Mar 2 04:25:53 2018
    Harro and Thank you Udo for quick response !

On Thursday, March 1, 2018 at 2:19:17 PM UTC+8, Udo Munk wrote:

Last night I uploaded a 3.1 disk image that as bonus has swapping activated. Still
    need to write up how to configure this with the DDK, should be there in the next
    few days.

Thanks ! Looking forward to test that .

You are welcome. Many of the images were contributed by others, I have no hardware anymore to image 5.25" floppy disks, only 3.5" ones.

Like you, I can't buy/get any more 5.25" drives or disks. I have a stack of new 3.5"-1.44MB disks but no serviceable floppy drive to use them.
    Lucky I had dd the old stuff from SLS-1.04 (1993) and my Coherent-3.1 and /rdb from Mark Williams back in 2007. The rest of the nostalgic testing stuff from the "InfoMagic" cdroms up to 2003.

I think the 3.2 update still needs the Y2K fix, but is the same patch as for 3.0
    and can be build self from the patch files for 3.0, until I get at that one.

I /etc/install CohUpd 3.10 and CohUpd 3.20 successively, and the Y2K
    patch you provided for 3.1 worked well, but the y2k patch for CohUpd-COH-3.2 yielded a boot up message " AT clock month 0 not in the table of month 1-12 .."
    However, this message disappeared after a few more boots over the month, to March 1st, and now everything is well.

The so-called 3.20 update that I installed seems to be still 3.10 as the version number of the boot-up message reads " 3.1.0u ". The files in the
    update directory /new are also the same for Coherent-3.1.0

So, many more things to try out for me !
    However,

virtual hdd. Had to change around floppies disk-type, CDROM images and using
    qemu as well as VirtualBox emulators to get the three dists. into one HDD. PCem

Yes that is possible. Always install everything else before COHERENT, install it
    as the last OS and use the MWC master boot for booting all OS's. The MWC boot code is one fine piece of art work, other boot code from this era has problems
    that need to be fixed.

I have now been able to use only PCem to install 3 OS's viz Coherent-3x , SLS-1.04 linux and DrDos-7.03 from Digital Research ( later Caldera ) into
    a 251 MB virtual HDD. Booting is with MWC Coherent Master Boot !

I have not yet found time to write bug reports for PCem and now they a freezing
    it in for release 14. Guess I'll wait and have a look at this first, and then see what
    still is not working correct.

Will wait for that, thanks.

mikey ( perhaps the only SG user of MWC Coherent still around ).The uucp-BBS will have some records of my logging in and asking around !

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Udo Munk@21:1/5 to mikey on Fri Mar 2 16:06:22 2018
    On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 1:25:53 PM UTC+1, mikey wrote:

Like you, I can't buy/get any more 5.25" drives or disks. I have a stack of new 3.5"-1.44MB
    disks but no serviceable floppy drive to use them.

You can get USB 3.5" drives, they are inexpensive. Connected to any UNIX system that supports USB devices allows to dd the disks to images.

Lucky I had dd the old stuff from SLS-1.04 (1993) and my Coherent-3.1 and /rdb
    from Mark Williams back in 2007. The rest of the nostalgic testing stuff from the
    "InfoMagic" cdroms up to 2003.

Fortunately the CD-ROM's aren't a problem yet, should be still around for a while.

I /etc/install CohUpd 3.10 and CohUpd 3.20 successively, and the Y2K patch you provided for 3.1 worked well, but the y2k patch for CohUpd-COH-3.2 yielded a boot up message " AT clock month 0 not in the table of month 1-12 .."
    However, this message disappeared after a few more boots over the month, to March
    1st, and now everything is well.

No idea yet, need to examine 3.2 in more detail, I only did a quick update
    to check if it works OK and what I get.

The so-called 3.20 update that I installed seems to be still 3.10 as the version number of the boot-up message reads " 3.1.0u ". The files in the update directory /new are also the same for Coherent-3.1.0

You probably got the wrong disks, the 3.2 update from the web site
    definitely will result in a 3.2.0-something system .

So, many more things to try out for me !

Indeed.

I have now been able to use only PCem to install 3 OS's viz Coherent-3x , SLS-1.04
    linux and DrDos-7.03 from Digital Research ( later Caldera ) into
    a 251 MB virtual HDD. Booting is with MWC Coherent Master Boot !

Very well.

mikey ( perhaps the only SG user of MWC Coherent still around ).The uucp-BBS will have some records of my logging in and asking around !

There are others too.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Udo Munk@21:1/5 to All on Mon Mar 5 11:57:22 2018
    The 3.2 update doesn't require a Y2K fix, so just upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2
    with the disk images. An already installed hd image is available too for download.

Also a hd image with 3.1 plus DDK is available with swapping enabled, the web site explains how to setup such a 3.1 system.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John McCue@21:1/5 to Udo Munk on Mon Mar 5 21:42:02 2018
    Udo Munk <udo.munk@freenet.de> wrote:
    The 3.2 update doesn't require a Y2K fix, so just upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2 with the disk images. An already installed hd image is
    available too for download.

Also a hd image with 3.1 plus DDK is available with swapping
    enabled, the web site explains how to setup such a 3.1 system.

Nice, thanks for the work you are doing, will
    give this a try!

John

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Udo Munk@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 7 13:16:01 2018
    I converted my latest Virtualbox COHERENT 4.2 disk image into one usable by PCem and reconfigured the system, so that it runs the color X11 server. Documentation how to do this is at the web site, the ready to use disk image is available too.

Looks like it is possible now to run all the MWC x86 COHERENT products on PCem.

Have fun with the machines,
    Udo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John McCue@21:1/5 to Udo Munk on Sat Mar 24 18:55:19 2018
    Udo Munk <udo.munk@freenet.de> wrote:
    I converted my latest Virtualbox COHERENT 4.2 disk image into one usable by PCem and reconfigured the system, so that it runs the color X11 server. Documentation how to do this is at the web site, the ready to use disk image is
    available too.

Looks like it is possible now to run all the MWC x86 COHERENT products on PCem.

Have fun with the machines,
    Udo

Very nice!
    Thanks

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Udo Munk@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 26 15:13:47 2018
    PCem V14 is released, installed it on OSX and had a brief look at the
    things not working properly or have an inconvenient implementation.
    No improvements with regards for running COHERENT OS's with V14,
    also would need some bug reports.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05