• Disk image for download available

From frasc@21:1/5 to Udo Munk on Thu Nov 9 13:05:26 2017
    Thanks Udo.

The slow fsck is an issue that has been around for a while, though the latest Virtualbox versions could make things better, as you showed in your previous posts.

I hadn't tried qemu in quite a while, but now that it can handle coherent just fine, we have a better solution.

Thanks again
    --Frederic

On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 12:07:27 PM UTC-8, Udo Munk wrote:
    While playing with qemu I realised, that one needs Virtualbox to get at the VM's
    disk image. I have uploaded a separate file with just the disk image in VMDK format.

This is a standard format, that other virtualizations can mount directly, or they come
    with tools to convert the disk image to their own format, like quemu-img.

Enjoy,
    Udo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Udo Munk@21:1/5 to All on Thu Nov 9 12:07:27 2017
    While playing with qemu I realised, that one needs Virtualbox to get at the VM's
    disk image. I have uploaded a separate file with just the disk image in VMDK format.

This is a standard format, that other virtualizations can mount directly, or they come
    with tools to convert the disk image to their own format, like quemu-img.

Enjoy,
    Udo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Udo Munk@21:1/5 to All on Thu Nov 9 15:26:43 2017
    No problem. The Virtualbox problems are OSX specific, even on a Windows 7 system it works fantastic. Also on OSX Virtualbox works OK, if you install some Linux or Solaris on it and use the SATA disk controller. Unfortunately IDE is the only option for
    running COHERENT and the IDE controller under OSX definitely is buggy.

Under Qemu it will not really work fine, but it boots very fast under the current release. But if you try to compile larger programs with the MWC compiler, it will abort with odd error messages. You have to repeat make a couple of times to get the binary.
    Not so if using gcc, I think the JIT compiler used in Qemu has some bugs triggered by the MWC C compiler. One can start X tho, it isn't too bad, but still not 100%
    functional.

Anyway, one also can try it under Vmware, Bochs, PCEm and who knows what, and this is easy with just the disk image, so it is there now too.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05