From Udo Munk@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 11 11:54:50 2017
    at:

http://www.autometer.de/unix4fun/coherent/index.html

New uploaded disk images for:

Coherent 3.0 OS + DDK + /rdb
    Coherent 3.1 OS update
    Coherent 3.2 OS update
    Coherent 4.0.1 OS

The disk images are made available under the MWC open source license with permission by Bob Swartz.

Many thanks to Nils M. Holm for imaging the floppy disks.

Best regards,
    Udo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Udo Munk@21:1/5 to chuckJ on Wed Oct 11 12:12:52 2017
    On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 9:03:35 PM UTC+2, chuckJ wrote:

Very nice, Udo!!
    Do you think the /rdb will run under Coherent 4.0.1? I'll try to install it this evening at home.

Sorry, I don't remember anymore, I would just try. Technically the 4.x releases can execute
    the 286 binaries, so that part should work OK. The scripting stuff in /rdb might need some
    work, the shells, awk, sed and so on were improved for the 4.x releases.

If you try it out let us know what you find, thanks.

Good luck,
    Udo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From chuckJ@21:1/5 to Udo Munk on Wed Oct 11 12:03:34 2017
    On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 1:55:34 PM UTC-5, Udo Munk wrote:
    at:

http://www.autometer.de/unix4fun/coherent/index.html

New uploaded disk images for:

Coherent 3.0 OS + DDK + /rdb
    Coherent 3.1 OS update
    Coherent 3.2 OS update
    Coherent 4.0.1 OS

The disk images are made available under the MWC open source license with permission by Bob Swartz.

Many thanks to Nils M. Holm for imaging the floppy disks.

Best regards,
    Udo

Very nice, Udo!!
    Do you think the /rdb will run under Coherent 4.0.1? I'll try to install it this evening at home.

Thanks
    Chuck

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Nils M Holm@21:1/5 to chuckJ on Wed Oct 11 19:51:02 2017
    chuckJ <chuck.jackson@wacoisd.org> wrote:
    Do you think the /rdb will run under Coherent 4.0.1?
    I'll try to install it this evening at home.

I seem to remember having used /rdb on 4.0.1, but that
    was a long time ago. Let us know how it worked out!

--
    Nils M Holm < n m h @ t 3 x . o r g > www.t3x.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From chuckJ@21:1/5 to Nils M Holm on Thu Oct 12 06:35:26 2017
    On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 2:51:04 PM UTC-5, Nils M Holm wrote:
    chuckJ <chuck.jackson@wacoisd.org> wrote:
    Do you think the /rdb will run under Coherent 4.0.1?
    I'll try to install it this evening at home.

I seem to remember having used /rdb on 4.0.1, but that
    was a long time ago. Let us know how it worked out!

--
    Nils M Holm < n m h @ t 3 x . o r g > www.t3x.org

Success!!!!!

I had to "manually" install it as the install script kept failing. It would prompt for a directory to install it in and no matter what I typed or what default I accepted, it would complain that the directory already exists and ask for another.

Of course, the irony is that the install script ALWAYS created the directory I chose and THEN it complained that the directory existed.

Anyway, it did put the compressed tar file into /tmp so I was able to extract the archive.

IT WORKS!!! At least the ve table editor works. I haven't had time to try the rest but that's an executable where most of the rest is scripts.

I first saw the /rdb book in San Jose CA in 1988 when I was in California learning to program in 'C' (K&R!!) from Ray Swarz who wrote a Unix Shell book and also wrote for Unix/World magazine.

I asked him if he had ever looked into /rdb and he said that he purposely had not. The reason was that he was considering writing a shell database system and he did not want to be accused of copying anything from their book.

After all these years, I get to pretend I'm back in 1988 and finally make use of my copy of the /rdb book!!!

Thanks, Udo!!!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Udo Munk@21:1/5 to chuckJ on Thu Oct 12 10:51:53 2017
    On Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 3:35:27 PM UTC+2, chuckJ wrote:

Success!!!!!

I had to "manually" install it as the install script kept failing. It would prompt for a directory
    to install it in and no matter what I typed or what default I accepted, it would complain that
    the directory already exists and ask for another.

Of course, the irony is that the install script ALWAYS created the directory I chose and THEN
    it complained that the directory existed.

Probably a side effect caused by all the 4.x improvements, so that the 4.x install
    command can't execute 3.x install scripts correct.

Anyway, it did put the compressed tar file into /tmp so I was able to extract the archive.

Yep, that should do as workaround.

IT WORKS!!! At least the ve table editor works. I haven't had time to try the rest but
    that's an executable where most of the rest is scripts.

Very well, the scripting stuff always could be modified for 4.x if necessary.

I first saw the /rdb book in San Jose CA in 1988 when I was in California learning to
    program in 'C' (K&R!!) from Ray Swarz who wrote a Unix Shell book and also wrote
    for Unix/World magazine.

I asked him if he had ever looked into /rdb and he said that he purposely had not.
    The reason was that he was considering writing a shell database system and he did
    not want to be accused of copying anything from their book.

After all these years, I get to pretend I'm back in 1988 and finally make use of my
    copy of the /rdb book!!!

Enjoy your trip back to 1988.

Thanks, Udo!!!

You are welcome.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Udo Munk@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 19 14:37:49 2017
    I got a 3,5" USB floppy drive and went through my storage boxes with the old MWC stuff, to image
    the disks and make them available.

Added the MWC disks with the GNU compiler sources. As requested by the GPL sources
    for the programs must be provided on demand, which we did. Most were interested in the binary distribution only, anyway, I added the source disks for completeness.
    On the VM's from me you already have everything in /u1/gnu.

Then I found CohWare Volumes 2 and 3, no idea why I have this floppy disks, because
    I was providing a complete mirror of everything in Germany, where people could get
    all stuff via uucp. CohWare are disk distributions of free available UNIX software, that
    was ported to COHERENT, either by the user community or by MWC. It was a convenient
    way to get additional software for the system, at a time when Modem downloads with
    9600 baud were slow and often expensive.

Enjoy,
    Udo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05