• How to create an executable that asks for administrator rights

From John Smith@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 24 16:53:36 2021
    I have a Win32 executable that that from time to time downloads and update file from internet.

The process goes as follows:
    (1) when my program, "myprog.exe", is about to exit it downloads "upd.exe" from internet
    (2) Just prior to exiting "myprog.exe" runs using CreateProcess() function on the
    "upd.exe" and then exits
    (3) "upd.exe" is now running and replaces "myprog.exe" with a never version and then it exits.

All would go fine but unfortunately Windows UAC prevents "upd.exe" from running.
    However if "myprog.exe" is running with Administrator privileges all goes well. Otherwise "upd.exe" just does not run and and if I run it from command prompt it
    show "Access violation" or similar messages.

Is there a way that "upd.exe" would invoke Windows to ask something like "Do you
    want upd.exe to execute" as I've seen some programs do?

I've seen posts about embedding a manifest file to the "upd.exe" that would then
    make Windows to bring up a "Do you want upd.exe to execute" etc.
    Currently I've embedded a manifest file to "upd.exe" but the problem may be that
    "myprog.exe" uses CreateProcess() instead of ShellExecute() that may use manifest
    prompts.

Some suggest using an SFX program to embed an manifest file but I have not tried
    that. Any suggestions?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From JJ@21:1/5 to John Smith on Sun Apr 25 11:15:57 2021
    On Sat, 24 Apr 2021 16:53:36 +0300, John Smith wrote:
    I have a Win32 executable that that from time to time downloads and update file
    from internet.

(1) when my program, "myprog.exe", is about to exit it downloads "upd.exe" from
    internet
    (2) Just prior to exiting "myprog.exe" runs using CreateProcess() function on the
    "upd.exe" and then exits
    (3) "upd.exe" is now running and replaces "myprog.exe" with a never version and
    then it exits.

All would go fine but unfortunately Windows UAC prevents "upd.exe" from running.
    However if "myprog.exe" is running with Administrator privileges all goes well.
    Otherwise "upd.exe" just does not run and and if I run it from command prompt it

Is there a way that "upd.exe" would invoke Windows to ask something like "Do you

I've seen posts about embedding a manifest file to the "upd.exe" that would then
    Currently I've embedded a manifest file to "upd.exe" but the problem may be that
    "myprog.exe" uses CreateProcess() instead of ShellExecute() that may use manifest
    prompts.

Some suggest using an SFX program to embed an manifest file but I have not tried
    that. Any suggestions?

If an application is designed to require elevated from the start, i.e. if
    it's not designed to behave differently depending whether it was run with elevated privileges or not (e.g. run in read-only mode if not), then the application's EXE must have the manifest resource which states that it
    requires elevation.

The manifest would be like the one shown in below article section. (long URL warning)

http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Sydney/en/Customizing_the_Windows_Application_Manifest_File

Note: the resource must use ANSI based character set. e.g. Windows-1252. It must not use any UTF character set.

Refer to your IDE/compiler documentation on how to include manifest
    resource.

You can also use any resource editor software to manually add the manifest resource into an EXE file. There can be only one manifest resource per one
    EXE file. The resource type should be RT_MANIFEST (0x100), and its ID should
    be `1`. In case the resource editor software doesn't support manifest
    resource type.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Smith@21:1/5 to jj4public@gmail.com on Sun Apr 25 08:44:25 2021
    I have a manifest file but it does not do anything as far I can see.

JJ <jj4public@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, 24 Apr 2021 16:53:36 +0300, John Smith wrote:
    I have a Win32 executable that that from time to time downloads and update file
    from internet.

internet
    "upd.exe" and then exits
    then it exits.

However if "myprog.exe" is running with Administrator privileges all goes well.
    Otherwise "upd.exe" just does not run and and if I run it from command prompt it

prompts.

that. Any suggestions?

If an application is designed to require elevated from the start, i.e. if >it's not designed to behave differently depending whether it was run with >elevated privileges or not (e.g. run in read-only mode if not), then the >application's EXE must have the manifest resource which states that it >requires elevation.

The manifest would be like the one shown in below article section. (long URL >warning)

http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Sydney/en/Customizing_the_Windows_Application_Manifest_File

Note: the resource must use ANSI based character set. e.g. Windows-1252. It >must not use any UTF character set.

Refer to your IDE/compiler documentation on how to include manifest
    resource.

You can also use any resource editor software to manually add the manifest >resource into an EXE file. There can be only one manifest resource per one >EXE file. The resource type should be RT_MANIFEST (0x100), and its ID should >be `1`. In case the resource editor software doesn't support manifest >resource type.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JJ@21:1/5 to John Smith on Mon Apr 26 13:48:51 2021
    On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 08:44:25 +0300, John Smith wrote:

The manifest must contain information which uses `requireAdministrator` as
    the requested privileges. Like in the first example code on the previously mentioned article, but replace `asInvoker` with `requireAdministrator`.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Smith@21:1/5 to jj4public@gmail.com on Tue Apr 27 15:21:29 2021

On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 08:44:25 +0300, John Smith wrote:

The manifest must contain information which uses `requireAdministrator` as >the requested privileges. Like in the first example code on the previously >mentioned article, but replace `asInvoker` with `requireAdministrator`.

After a lot of testing and searching I managed to get it to work.

(1) when my program, "myprog.exe", is about to exit it downloads "upd.exe" from internet. All are 32-bit win32 exes
    (2) Just prior to exiting "myprog.exe" runs using plain CreateProcess() (not ShellExecute) function on the "upd.exe" and then exits
    (3) "upd.exe" is now running and replaces "myprog.exe" with a never version and then it exits.

upd.exe has manifest that works:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0"> <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">
    <security>
    <requestedPrivileges>
    <requestedExecutionLevel
    level="asInvoker"
    uiAccess="false"
    />
    </requestedPrivileges>
    </security>
    </trustInfo>
    <compatibility xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:compatibility.v1">
    <application>
    <supportedOS Id="{e2011457-1546-43c5-a5fe-008deee3d3f0}" />
    <supportedOS Id="{35138b9a-5d96-4fbd-8e2d-a2440225f93a}" />
    </application>
    </compatibility>
    </assembly>

That worked. My previous manifest *that did not work* was:

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0"> <assemblyIdentity
    version="1.0.0.0"
    processorArchitecture="X86"
    name="Microsoft.Windows.Generic"
    type="win32"

<description>Dmsetup ohjelma</description>

<trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">
    <security>
    <requestedPrivileges>
    <requestedExecutionLevel level="requireAdministrator" uiAccess="false"

</requestedPrivileges>
    </security>
    </trustInfo>
    </assembly>

I just wonder what made the difference?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JJ@21:1/5 to John Smith on Wed Apr 28 13:01:16 2021
    On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 15:21:29 +0300, John Smith wrote:

internet. All are 32-bit win32 exes
    (2) Just prior to exiting "myprog.exe" runs using plain CreateProcess() (not ShellExecute) function on the "upd.exe" and then exits
    then it exits.

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0"> <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">
    <security>
    <requestedPrivileges>
    <requestedExecutionLevel
    level="asInvoker"
    uiAccess="false"
    />
    </requestedPrivileges>
    </security>
    </trustInfo>
    <application>
    </application>
    </compatibility>
    </assembly>

That shouldn't work. It's a valid manifest, but it won't make the system to show the UAC prompt - whether `CreateProcess()` or `ShellExecute()` is used
    to run the application.

Also keep in mind that, if the (parent) application process which execute
    the (child) application with `requireAdministrator` manifest is already elevated, the system won't show the UAC prompt again, because by default, privileges are inherited to child processes.

The `asInvoker` execution level means that the (child) application process
    will use the same privileges as the (parent) application process which
    execute it. If the parent application is not elevated, then the child application will not be elevated - no matter which function is used to
    execute it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Smith@21:1/5 to jj4public@gmail.com on Wed Apr 28 13:21:31 2021
    Hello,

You're right. I did have "requireAdministrator" and not "asInvoker"

(2) Just prior to exiting "myprog.exe" runs using plain CreateProcess() (not >> ShellExecute) function on the "upd.exe" and then exits
    then it exits.

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
    <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">
    <security>
    <requestedPrivileges>
    <requestedExecutionLevel
    level="asInvoker"
    uiAccess="false"
    />
    </requestedPrivileges>
    </security>
    </trustInfo>
    <application>
    </application>
    </compatibility>
    </assembly>

That shouldn't work. It's a valid manifest, but it won't make the system to >show the UAC prompt - whether `CreateProcess()` or `ShellExecute()` is used >to run the application.

Also keep in mind that, if the (parent) application process which execute
    the (child) application with `requireAdministrator` manifest is already >elevated, the system won't show the UAC prompt again, because by default, >privileges are inherited to child processes.

The `asInvoker` execution level means that the (child) application process >will use the same privileges as the (parent) application process which >execute it. If the parent application is not elevated, then the child >application will not be elevated - no matter which function is used to >execute it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Smith@21:1/5 to John Smith on Wed Apr 28 19:29:12 2021
    Hello,

after a lot of testing again I found out that having "requireAdministrator" in the "upd.exe" would cause problems, ie. it won't start at all.

My update system is as follows:

(1) when my program, "myprog.exe", is about to exit it downloads "upd.exe" from internet. All are 32-bit win32 exes.
    "myprog.exe" does have a manifest with "requireAdministrator"
    "upd.exe" does have a manifest with "asInvoker" (NOT "requireAdministrator")

(2) Just prior to exiting "myprog.exe" runs using plain CreateProcess() (not ShellExecute) function ro run the "upd.exe" and then exits.
    NOTE! if "upd.exe" has "requireAdministrator" in its manifest Createprocess() won't run it at all and I get the 740 error. However "asInvoker" in the manifest
    works fine.

(3) "upd.exe" is now running. Its has a resource file embedded "udpdater.exe". "upd.exe" writes the "udpdater.exe" on disk and starts to exit.

(4) "upd.exe" is about to exit but before exiting it runs a
    ShellExecute(NULL, "runas","updater.exe","2", NULL, SW_SHOWNORMAL); "updater.exe" does have a manifest with "requireAdministrator"

(5) An UAC windows pops up asking if I want to run "updater.exe". I click OK and
    "updater.exe" is now running. Its has a resource file embedded "myprog.exe". which it writes the on disk replcaing the old "myprog.exe".

None of the rigmarola & UAC popping up would have been prevented if:
    a) The very first "myprog.exe" had used ShellExecute and not CreateProcess.
    or
    b) The very first "myprog.exe" would have had full Administrator rights (allthough the manifest does have it) or Windows 8 compatibility mode on.

John Smith <do_not_use@invalid.address.com> wrote:

Hello,

You're right. I did have "requireAdministrator" and not "asInvoker"

(2) Just prior to exiting "myprog.exe" runs using plain CreateProcess() (not
    ShellExecute) function on the "upd.exe" and then exits
    then it exits.

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0"> >>> <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">
    <security>
    <requestedPrivileges>
    <requestedExecutionLevel
    level="asInvoker"
    uiAccess="false"
    />
    </requestedPrivileges>
    </security>
    </trustInfo>
    <application>
    </application>
    </compatibility>
    </assembly>

That shouldn't work. It's a valid manifest, but it won't make the system to >>show the UAC prompt - whether `CreateProcess()` or `ShellExecute()` is used >>to run the application.

Also keep in mind that, if the (parent) application process which execute >>the (child) application with `requireAdministrator` manifest is already >>elevated, the system won't show the UAC prompt again, because by default, >>privileges are inherited to child processes.

The `asInvoker` execution level means that the (child) application process >>will use the same privileges as the (parent) application process which >>execute it. If the parent application is not elevated, then the child >>application will not be elevated - no matter which function is used to >>execute it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JJ@21:1/5 to John Smith on Thu Apr 29 16:52:19 2021
    On Wed, 28 Apr 2021 19:29:12 +0300, John Smith wrote:
    Hello,

after a lot of testing again I found out that having "requireAdministrator" in
    the "upd.exe" would cause problems, ie. it won't start at all.

My update system is as follows:

internet. All are 32-bit win32 exes.
    "myprog.exe" does have a manifest with "requireAdministrator"
    "upd.exe" does have a manifest with "asInvoker" (NOT "requireAdministrator")

(2) Just prior to exiting "myprog.exe" runs using plain CreateProcess() (not ShellExecute) function ro run the "upd.exe" and then exits.
    NOTE! if "upd.exe" has "requireAdministrator" in its manifest Createprocess() won't run it at all and I get the 740 error. However "asInvoker" in the manifest
    works fine.

(3) "upd.exe" is now running. Its has a resource file embedded "udpdater.exe".
    "upd.exe" writes the "udpdater.exe" on disk and starts to exit.

(4) "upd.exe" is about to exit but before exiting it runs a ShellExecute(NULL, "runas","updater.exe","2", NULL, SW_SHOWNORMAL); "updater.exe" does have a manifest with "requireAdministrator"

(5) An UAC windows pops up asking if I want to run "updater.exe". I click OK and
    "updater.exe" is now running. Its has a resource file embedded "myprog.exe". which it writes the on disk replcaing the old "myprog.exe".

None of the rigmarola & UAC popping up would have been prevented if:
    a) The very first "myprog.exe" had used ShellExecute and not CreateProcess. or
    b) The very first "myprog.exe" would have had full Administrator rights (allthough the manifest does have it) or Windows 8 compatibility mode on.

Oh, sorry. I was mistaken on the `CreateProcess()` part. With that function, the system won't show the UAC prompt if needed - regardless of the manifest presence and its requested execution level, of the child application.

The UAC prompt if needed, will be shown only if `ShellExecute()` is used.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05