• Missing New Lines

From gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Feb 22 05:38:37 2021
    I subscribe to a number of mailing lists. A very small number of them have an issue where some of the messages I get have no new line characters. I've tried to explore this with those groups but they give some sort of an explanation I don't follow and
    blame it on my email reader.

Does anyone else see this? Anyone know what is actually causing it? Anyone know of a way to mitigate the issue?

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    - Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Ajo Wissink@21:1/5 to gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com on Mon Feb 22 12:38:02 2021
    On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 05:38:37 -0800 (PST), "gnuarm.del...@gmail.com" <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote:

I subscribe to a number of mailing lists. A very small number of them have an issue where some of the messages I get have no new line characters. I've tried to explore this with those groups but they give some sort of an explanation I don't follow and

Does anyone else see this? Anyone know what is actually causing it? Anyone know of a way to mitigate the issue?

Rick, it's not clear to me what you mean by "new line characters".
    What happens when you right-click in such a message and select Send to
    Browser?

--
    Ajo Wissink

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Ajo Wissink on Mon Feb 22 12:22:39 2021
    On Monday, February 22, 2021 at 11:38:12 AM UTC-5, Ajo Wissink wrote:
    On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 05:38:37 -0800 (PST), "gnuarm.del...@gmail.com" <gnuarm.del...@gmail.com> wrote:

Rick, it's not clear to me what you mean by "new line characters".
    What happens when you right-click in such a message and select Send to Browser?

--
    Ajo Wissink

I never thought of displaying in the browser before. This is strange. In a browser, the html has the same run on lines. Looking at the "source" in the browser, the file has the line breaks. Loading into a text editor where I can see the control
    characters, I now see that the message has 0x0A as line separators, but no 0x0D (LF but no CR).

Sometimes it is exhausting trying to understand why Eudora does what it does. I've been chasing this issue for years. I report the problem in one mail list and they come up with an explanation that leaves me hanging. Chase it in another mail list and
    I get even less info. These are all mail lists of people intimately familiar with technology. Some of these same people explain to me why non-ASCII characters get munged. While it sounds like an issue with the encoding, MIME, etc. this doesn't happen
    with every email viewer.

I still don't know why the file has no CR characters. It could be the sender is using Linux and so is never sending them, but it seems to be less often than the prevalence of Linux. In technical groups the use of Linux is not at all uncommon while only
    a few users send messages with this issue.

I'll try writing this guy to see what he uses for email.

Is there a way to tell if the original message is pure text or if it contains HTML? If I open the message source in Eudora it shows HTML in the header info Eudora attaches and in the users tag line where a link is embedded. The lines are not run on in
    this window. Is this HTML all added by Eudora? Why can't Eudora figure out how to display these messages if the source has no HTML?

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    + Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ajo Wissink@21:1/5 to gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com on Mon Feb 22 18:34:32 2021
    On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 12:22:39 -0800 (PST), "gnuarm.del...@gmail.com" <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote:

Is there a way to tell if the original message is pure text or if it contains HTML?

Using Eudora's interior viewer, not the Microsoft one, sending a
    message to browser will open your default browser if there is HTML.
    Using Eudora's interior viewer will open your default text editor. On
    my computer that is Notepad.

--
    Ajo Wissink

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Ajo Wissink on Mon Feb 22 16:34:23 2021
    On Monday, February 22, 2021 at 5:34:44 PM UTC-5, Ajo Wissink wrote:
    On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 12:22:39 -0800 (PST), "gnuarm.del...@gmail.com" <gnuarm.del...@gmail.com> wrote:

Is there a way to tell if the original message is pure text or if it contains HTML?

By "interior viewer" I assume you mean the command "view source". Yes, that is what I see. But that doesn't help when replying to messages. They are still run on in the quoted text, and that is really run on with no LF where they had been in the
    original message.

--

Rick C.

-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    -- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Ajo Wissink on Mon Feb 22 20:48:45 2021
    On Monday, February 22, 2021 at 11:18:03 PM UTC-5, Ajo Wissink wrote:
    On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 16:34:23 -0800 (PST), "gnuarm.del...@gmail.com" <gnuarm.del...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 12:22:39 -0800 (PST), "gnuarm.del...@gmail.com"
    <gnuarm.del...@gmail.com> wrote:

By "interior viewer" I assume you mean the command "view source". Yes, that is what I see. But that doesn't help when replying to messages. They are still run on in the quoted text, and that is really run on with no LF where they had been in the
    original message.
    Sorry, the correct name is internal viewer. I found it already strange
    after I wrote that.

When you go to Tools -> Options -> Viewing Mail-> Message Window, you
    will see "Use Microsoft's Viewer". When that is not selected Eudoa's internal viewer will be used. The internal viewer is the one that
    comes with Eudora and supports only a very limited subset of html. The
    MS viewer uses the MS IE rendering engine.

Ok, I'm with you now. I thought that only supported text, but I see what you mean. It's not quite as good with the formatting, but essentially works on the internal viewer. However... it still shows the errant messages as having no line breaks.

--

Rick C.

-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    -+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ajo Wissink@21:1/5 to gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com on Tue Feb 23 00:17:51 2021
    On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 16:34:23 -0800 (PST), "gnuarm.del...@gmail.com" <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 12:22:39 -0800 (PST), "gnuarm.del...@gmail.com"
    <gnuarm.del...@gmail.com> wrote:

original message.

Sorry, the correct name is internal viewer. I found it already strange
    after I wrote that.

will see "Use Microsoft's Viewer". When that is not selected Eudoa's
    internal viewer will be used. The internal viewer is the one that
    comes with Eudora and supports only a very limited subset of html. The
    MS viewer uses the MS IE rendering engine.

--
    Ajo Wissink

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Piet@21:1/5 to Ajo Wissink on Fri Mar 5 21:50:01 2021
    Ajo Wissink wrote:
    will see "Use Microsoft's Viewer". When that is not selected Eudora's internal viewer will be used. The internal viewer is the one that comes
    with Eudora and supports only a very limited subset of html.

True. At times that make it fail to properly render a message.
    But I found it can also protect you against tracking pixels.
    My webhoster sends me the bill via e-mail. Tha mail contains
    a tracking pixel, which in this case is okay, because it is
    only used for "message received and read" back reporting. But
    I found that that specific part of the mail, when I visit the
    url with my browser, I indeed get a 1 pixel "picture". But in
    Eudora, with its internal viewer, nothing happens. And indeed,
    when I use Wireshark to observe the ip traffic, the internal
    reader doesn't visit the remote url.
    Which proves that ancient software is safer than modern stuff. ;-)

-p

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05