• Synchronising Eudora using Dropbox?

From Mark@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 10 11:05:37 2022
    Hi
    I have two Windows 7 machines running Eudora 7.1 with accounts configured for POP3. I use the second machine (laptop) only very occasionally if I'm travelling.

As needs arise I've been synchronising my laptop to my PC by manually coppying the mailbox files, embedded folder, and attachments folder from one machine to the other, not very elegant but it works.

I'm wondering if I could synchronise it automatically using Dropbox. I only have Dropvox Basic so I can't use their 'Smart Sync' tool. I'm thinking I could relocate my Eudora Data folder from C:\users\name\appdata\roaming to my dropbox folder and change
    the Eudora shortcut to this new location. I'd also move the attachments folder to Dropbox.

Would this be a workable solution or have I missed something?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dennis Lee Bieber@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 10 16:07:40 2022
    On Sun, 10 Jul 2022 11:05:37 -0700 (PDT), Mark <mmxjr13@gmail.com>
    declaimed the following:

I'm wondering if I could synchronise it automatically using Dropbox. I only have Dropvox Basic so I can't use their 'Smart Sync' tool. I'm thinking I could relocate my Eudora Data folder from C:\users\name\appdata\roaming to my dropbox folder and
    change the Eudora shortcut to this new location. I'd also move the attachments folder to Dropbox.

Would this be a workable solution or have I missed something?

Interference concerns... Many of these "cloud" "backup" systems rely upon copy-on-change (and play hob with things like databases that do
    constant open/modify/close of data/index files -- including sometimes
    blocking the actual application from getting to its own data!).

Eudora first downloads emails to a spool directory, then processes the downloaded spool before copying to MBX files AND updating the associated
    TOC file, and deleting the spool file. That's three files that are
    undergoing mixed read/write cycles that could be interrupted if the cloud storage locks any file while doing its copy.

Cloud backup works best for static files -- or apps that open/read the entire file, close it... Later open/(over)write/close the entire file at
    once.

This is part of what the "leave mail on server" option is meant for -- to allow multiple applications to fetch messages, usually with one
    application given priority for when to delete the server copy (or by
    age...)

--
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
    wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)