• Difficulties Sending Email

From gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 6 17:35:29 2022
    I changed hosting providers and got the incoming email working fine. I guess I forgot to change the outgoing email accounts and now they've quit working.

I've set up for the new hosting provider, which means using the normal method of entering my domain name with name. in front for both incoming and outgoing servers.

After reading a bit of another thread here, I enabled "Secure Sockets when Sending" and set to "Required, Alternate Port". This gets to a point where the attempt is made, but errors out on the SSL certificate.

Unknown Error Certificate Bad: Destination host name does not match host name in certificate But ignoring this error because Certificate is trusted The connection with server has been lost.

Did this simply time out or did the server kill it?

The certificate starts out:
    Certificate:
    Data:
    Version: 3 (0x2)

I don't have the Hermes files installed. Do I need to do that? I hate trying too many new things as it makes it hard to know what is causing what.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com@21:1/5 to gnuarm.del...@gmail.com on Sat May 7 07:58:02 2022
    On Friday, May 6, 2022 at 8:35:30 PM UTC-4, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
    I changed hosting providers and got the incoming email working fine. I guess I forgot to change the outgoing email accounts and now they've quit working.

I've set up for the new hosting provider, which means using the normal method of entering my domain name with name. in front for both incoming and outgoing servers.

After reading a bit of another thread here, I enabled "Secure Sockets when Sending" and set to "Required, Alternate Port". This gets to a point where the attempt is made, but errors out on the SSL certificate.

Unknown Error Certificate Bad: Destination host name does not match host name in certificate But ignoring this error because Certificate is trusted The connection with server has been lost.

Certificate:
    Data:

I don't have the Hermes files installed. Do I need to do that? I hate trying too many new things as it makes it hard to know what is causing what.

I added the Hermes files and it is working now using SSL.

Thanks to those who have provided advice in all the other threads. I will say, the instructions are a bit awkward. Like the explanation for copying the contents of the Hermes directory to the Eudora directory is very odd. The step of copying the path
    for opening a Windows Explorer window is more complex than needed as well, and in fact, did not work on my machine.

Anyway, thanks to whomever produced the Hermes files. After some 20 years, I'd hate to have to give up on Eudora now.

Rick

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com@21:1/5 to dav...@sky.com on Sun May 8 00:19:53 2022
    On Saturday, May 7, 2022 at 6:45:32 PM UTC-4, dav...@sky.com wrote:
    On Saturday, 7 May 2022 at 15:58:03 UTC+1, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Friday, May 6, 2022 at 8:35:30 PM UTC-4, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:

Certificate:
    Data:

I added the Hermes files and it is working now using SSL.

Thanks to those who have provided advice in all the other threads. I will say, the instructions are a bit awkward. Like the explanation for copying the contents of the Hermes directory to the Eudora directory is very odd. The step of copying the path
    for opening a Windows Explorer window is more complex than needed as well, and in fact, did not work on my machine.

Anyway, thanks to whomever produced the Hermes files. After some 20 years, I'd hate to have to give up on Eudora now.

Rick

Really glad to see that you got it sorted out!
    Using Eudora without the Hermes update will pretty soon be impossible I would say.
    Cheers, Dave.

The web host provides info on setting up the email client though the Cpanel email account management page. They show both SSL and non-SSL settings. Only SSL seems to work as the non-SSL settings simply are never acknowledged and time out. I guess the
    info is Cpanel default or something and the actual hosting provider doesn't have to implement it all.

MonsterHost is cheap and I got setup very quickly, but I suppose the support is not quick. My previous support ticket (1 of 1) was responded to after 9 hours. Before them I was with MightWeb who gave adequate service for some five or so years, but sent
    out an email one day saying we should back up our accounts immediately as they could go down at any time, as in permanently. The current crisis happened because I failed to realize the outbound email setups had not been ported as yet. Now MightWeb
    doesn't even seem to have a web site. But they didn't require SSL... lol

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun May 8 00:21:18 2022
    I almost forgot, I can't send email to one of my customers, because the MonsterHost IP address is blacklisted by Spamhaus. I need to put in a ticket about that... actually, I thought I had, but I don't see it. Maybe I never completed it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DaveH2@21:1/5 to gnuarm.del...@gmail.com on Sun May 8 06:31:29 2022
    On Sunday, 8 May 2022 at 08:21:19 UTC+1, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
    I almost forgot, I can't send email to one of my customers, because the MonsterHost IP address is blacklisted by Spamhaus. I need to put in a ticket about that... actually, I thought I had, but I don't see it. Maybe I never completed it.

I fully understand and accept that they are necessary sometimes, but blacklists can be an absolute PITA.
    I couldn't e-mail from the UK to a relative in the States as her e-mail service had my service on a spamming blacklist!
    This proved to be unresolvable. Very annoying.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com@21:1/5 to dav...@sky.com on Sun May 8 19:56:07 2022
    On Sunday, May 8, 2022 at 9:31:30 AM UTC-4, dav...@sky.com wrote:
    On Sunday, 8 May 2022 at 08:21:19 UTC+1, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:

I fully understand and accept that they are necessary sometimes, but blacklists can be an absolute PITA.
    I couldn't e-mail from the UK to a relative in the States as her e-mail service had my service on a spamming blacklist!
    This proved to be unresolvable. Very annoying.

Once I was blocked from sending email to the entire state government of Tennesse by what was not even a blacklist exactly. I think it was something run by Cisco where they scored the IP addressed and my hosting provider, with several different IP
    addresses would float around being blocked and unblocked of their different servers. I had them move my account to different servers a couple of times, then just gave up and stopped trying to contact the state. That was really weird. There was some
    sort of automated system you could contact to request having the block removed, but it was not very effective and literally, no way to get a person involved. You might think this would be a problem for the users of such systems, but I guess they figured
    they were "paying Cisco, so it's got to be good".

My hosting provider seems to have resolved the issue for the short term, but this is the sort of problem you get from using a smaller hosting provider it would seem. If they get one customer on a shared hosting server, it ruins it for everyone on that
    server.

Someone is offering me $50,000 for my domain name. Maybe I should sell and just give up email. Or use something like, I-dont-care-anymore@yahoo.com.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05