• Re: Can Eudora be configured to allow two-step configuration?

From Bill Garland@21:1/5 to sydney.s...@gmail.com on Sat Mar 19 08:27:31 2022
    On Monday, 24 October 2016 at 05:26:37 UTC-4, sydney.s...@gmail.com wrote:
    I have had need recently to consider adding two-step authentication to my Google accounts. I access emails from these Google accounts using Eudora 7.1.0.9 and I found that when I did add two-step authentication, I could no longer check email. I got an
    error message with a google support link which gave feedback saying that I needed to allow less secure apps to access my log-in details but I could not allow less secure apps to log-in until I removed two-step authentication. So I am back to square one.
    I want to keep using POP and would like to keep using Eudora (though I fear it will not be compatible with future versions of Windows) but am also considering Thunderbird and while I have read that there is a way to allow Thunderbird to accept two-step
    authentication, I don't know whether it is possible with Eudora. Answers please!
    Cheers. Peter.
    My university server uses MS Outlook and I use Eudora in POP mode. Recently the server forced two-step authentication and, Eudora stopped working as per your case. After a little fiddling I unchecked the 'Authentication allowed box" (under Properties
    for the Personality in question) and, low and behold, Eudora worked! If anyone is interested I could send the full Property setup. Bill

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Chris Zarow@21:1/5 to Bill Garland on Tue May 10 04:16:41 2022
    On Saturday, March 19, 2022 at 8:27:32 AM UTC-7, Bill Garland wrote:

My university server uses MS Outlook and I use Eudora in POP mode. Recently the server forced two-step authentication and, Eudora stopped working as per your case. After a little fiddling I unchecked the 'Authentication allowed box" (under Properties
    for the Personality in question) and, low and behold, Eudora worked! If anyone is interested I could send the full Property setup. Bill

Yes! I'd love to see the full Property setup.
    Gmail is forcing two-step authentication on its users and I fear losing access to email in Eudora.
    I was never able to configure Eudora to pick up mail from my University account either.
    Chris

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From web 2019@21:1/5 to All on Thu May 12 06:45:17 2022
    Is there any way to setup Gmail to continue use Eudora next month?
    Still cannot think of any reason (forget security...) Google want everybody with an old email app to stop using the service outside the web interface or buy a new Office for the Outlook users (MS is very happy anyway.. )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu May 12 22:12:51 2022
    On Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 9:45:18 AM UTC-4, web 2019 wrote:
    Still cannot think of any reason (forget security...) Google want everybody with an old email app to stop using the service outside the web interface or buy a new Office for the Outlook users (MS is very happy anyway.. )

Where did you hear this? I did a quick search and did not find anything. I use Gmail as a spam filter and an aggregator for the many email addresses I use. Without the POP3 access, I suppose I could simply forward the emails, Gmail still does that, no?

Rick C

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dennis Lee Bieber@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 13 12:08:54 2022
    On Thu, 12 May 2022 22:12:51 -0700 (PDT), "gnuarm.del...@gmail.com" <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> declaimed the following:

Where did you hear this? I did a quick search and did not find anything. I use Gmail as a spam filter and an aggregator for the many email addresses I use. Without the POP3 access, I suppose I could simply forward the emails, Gmail still does that,
    no?

I suspect this is in reference to https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en

The key item is that one can not use the account PRIMARY username and password. To my knowledge, Google will still allow for specific "app
    password"

"""
    Use an App Password

An App password is a 16-digit passcode that gives a non-Google app or
    device permission to access your Google Account. Learn more about how to
    sign in using App Passwords.
    """

App passwords are generated by some algorithm on Google's side (one does not just randomly pick a different password), probably undergo a
    one-time two-factor authentication (since one has to log into the primary Google account to generate an app password), and then has to be copied to
    the end application password field.

--
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
    wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rutty Farrell@21:1/5 to gnuarm.del...@gmail.com on Fri May 27 13:13:37 2022
    On Friday, May 13, 2022 at 1:12:52 AM UTC-4, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
    Where did you hear this? I did a quick search and did not find anything. I use Gmail as a spam filter and an aggregator for the many email addresses I use. Without the POP3 access, I suppose I could simply forward the emails, Gmail still does that, no?

Rick C

Since around March 31, 2022 gmail has been bouncing back my eudora generated emails claiming that they are spam
    This happens most times, but not all the time, and I cannot distinguish the two cases except that messages with multiple addressees have more problems. Until March,, eudora / gmail worked without any problem at all and there have been no
    configuration changes to my computer. I have been consulting gmail about the problem but they have not yet provided any answers beyuond "ask eudora" but it seems to me the problem is with gmail, not with eudora.
    As of today I have no idea of what to do.
    When eudora mails are blocked and returned by gmail, when necessary I go to the gmail direct interface ..... which I do not like at all ..... to send any urgent messages.
    Any suggestions ???

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dennis Lee Bieber@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 27 17:50:37 2022
    On Fri, 27 May 2022 13:13:37 -0700 (PDT), Rutty Farrell <rfarrell.dic@gmail.com> declaimed the following:

Since around March 31, 2022 gmail has been bouncing back my eudora generated emails claiming that they are spam

This has nothing to do with the original subject of the thread, and may be skipped by other readers...

This happens most times, but not all the time, and I cannot distinguish the two cases except that messages with multiple addressees have more problems. Until March,, eudora / gmail worked without any problem at all and there have been no
    configuration changes to my computer. I have been consulting gmail about the problem but they have not yet provided any answers beyuond "ask eudora" but it seems to me the problem is with gmail, not with eudora.

How many target addresses. GMAIL may assume that any message being sent to /x/ or more recipients is spam (especially if they are BCC recipients, possibly CC recipients, no idea as to TO recipients).

When eudora mails are blocked and returned by gmail, when necessary I go to the gmail direct interface ..... which I do not like at all ..... to send any urgent messages.
    Any suggestions ???

Personally -- drop gmail and get a real (ISP-provided?) email service.

The ONLY reason I have a gmail address is that my phone and Nook tablets want a Google account for the application (Play) store.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Rutty Farrell on Fri May 27 19:23:22 2022
    On Friday, May 27, 2022 at 4:13:38 PM UTC-4, Rutty Farrell wrote:
    On Friday, May 13, 2022 at 1:12:52 AM UTC-4, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
    Where did you hear this? I did a quick search and did not find anything. I use Gmail as a spam filter and an aggregator for the many email addresses I use. Without the POP3 access, I suppose I could simply forward the emails, Gmail still does that,
    no?

Rick C
    This happens most times, but not all the time, and I cannot distinguish the two cases except that messages with multiple addressees have more problems. Until March,, eudora / gmail worked without any problem at all and there have been no configuration
    changes to my computer. I have been consulting gmail about the problem but they have not yet provided any answers beyuond "ask eudora" but it seems to me the problem is with gmail, not with eudora.
    Any suggestions ???

I'm not sure I understand what you are doing. When you send emails from Eudora, is Gmail your email server? I didn't know you could do that.

I use Gmail as a concentrator, routing emails from multiple forwarder addresses to the Gmail account, then using the POP3 Gmail feature to pick up the emails with Eudora. That way all my emails are on my computer and I'm not dependent on Internet access
    to be able to read old emails or write new ones. I just need a connection to receive new ones or to send new ones.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Piet@21:1/5 to Dennis Lee Bieber on Sat May 28 10:57:55 2022
    Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
    Personally -- drop gmail and get a real (ISP-provided?) email service.
    The ONLY reason I have a gmail address is that my phone and Nook
    tablets want a Google account for the application (Play) store.

Something similar here. The only reason I have a gmail account is
    for Google/YouTube administrative and notification messages, not
    for anything else, let alone anything serious.
    I've solved it by changing my gmail account to auto-forward to a
    decent e-mail address, plus a filter in Eudora that transfers all
    incoming Google/YouTube mail to a separate mailbox, or right to
    Trash if it fits my rules for spam/garbage.

-p

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jutta Uhr@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 2 07:34:50 2022
    Thank you so much everybody participating in this thread.

I could not download my messages since Google started to block the use of third-party apps like Eudora.
    So I followed JillB's advice. I'm going to describe what I did, just in case somebody else has the same problem.

The option "App Password" was not visible in my Google Account on the page https://myaccount.google.com/security
    I need to turn on 2 factor authentication for the account. This made the option "App Password" appear.

Then I selected "App Password" and generated as special code. I made Eudora forget the old password (Menu-Special-Forget Passwords).
    I checked e-mails for the account. Eudora prompted me for the new password. I entered the special code.

Eudora then downloaded the messages.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From msafar@ameritech.net@21:1/5 to Jutta Uhr on Thu Jun 2 08:18:42 2022
    On Thursday, June 2, 2022 at 9:34:51 AM UTC-5, Jutta Uhr wrote:

I could not download my messages since Google started to block the use of third-party apps like Eudora.
    So I followed JillB's advice. I'm going to describe what I did, just in case somebody else has the same problem.

The option "App Password" was not visible in my Google Account on the page https://myaccount.google.com/security
    I need to turn on 2 factor authentication for the account. This made the option "App Password" appear.

Then I selected "App Password" and generated as special code. I made Eudora forget the old password (Menu-Special-Forget Passwords).
    I checked e-mails for the account. Eudora prompted me for the new password. I entered the special code.

Thank you Jutta so much for this precise description. It worked perfectly for me. I was in a panic.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From msafar@ameritech.net@21:1/5 to msa...@ameritech.net on Thu Jun 2 09:01:25 2022
    On Thursday, June 2, 2022 at 10:18:43 AM UTC-5, msa...@ameritech.net wrote:
    On Thursday, June 2, 2022 at 9:34:51 AM UTC-5, Jutta Uhr wrote:

Thank you Jutta so much for this precise description. It worked perfectly for me. I was in a panic.
    Help! I can download messages, but not send.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gp@rr.com@21:1/5 to 2007australien@gmail.com on Thu Jun 2 11:25:50 2022
    On Thu, 2 Jun 2022 07:34:50 -0700 (PDT), Jutta Uhr
    <2007australien@gmail.com> wrote:

My Eudora Gmail also quit working this morning. I had been expecting
    Eudora to stop working with Gmail since May 30, which is when Google
    claimed it would quit working. It also quit working in Agent this
    morning.

I followed your steps and now my Eudora is working. Thanks for the
    tips.

I was not sure exactly how to enter the new password in Eudora since
    the Google web site showed the number in groups of 4. I entered the
    numbers without any spaces and that seem to work.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ellen Clark@21:1/5 to JillB on Tue Jun 7 09:01:10 2022
    On Saturday, October 29, 2016 at 2:20:35 AM UTC-4, JillB wrote:
    I use 2-step authentication with Gmail and Eudora, so it can be done. You need to go into your Google account's settings and set up an app password (https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en) for Eudora. Then in Eudora, you'll have to
    replace your current POP password with the one that Google has generated for Eudora. It works flawlessly! Hope this helps.

Thank you, Jill! I have used Eudora forever and the thought of having to switch, when I have everything organized into a billion Eudora mailboxes freaked me out. Here's a question, though: if you sign out of Eudora (I'm afraid to!), and then sign in
    again, do you have to use the app password again? They say (when you get the app PW) that you won't need to remember it, but is this true? Thank you.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From welkinator@21:1/5 to 2007australien@gmail.com on Tue Jun 7 11:06:19 2022
    <2007australien@gmail.com> wrote:

And Thank You! This was explicit enough for me to get Eudora working
    again. (Gmail didn't fail me until today - the 7th).

Cheers, Mate!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ellen Clark@21:1/5 to JillB on Tue Jun 7 09:05:41 2022
    On Saturday, October 29, 2016 at 2:20:35 AM UTC-4, JillB wrote:
    I use 2-step authentication with Gmail and Eudora, so it can be done. You need to go into your Google account's settings and set up an app password (https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en) for Eudora. Then in Eudora, you'll have to
    replace your current POP password with the one that Google has generated for Eudora. It works flawlessly! Hope this helps.

Jill - Also, when I sign into Gmail from my phone, will i need to use the app password, or the one I've always used, before I got the app PEW/ In other words, is the app password specific to the Eudora program and nothing else? I'm afraid to sign out of
    Gmail and try to get back in! Thank you.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Naim Liniger-Janmohamed@21:1/5 to welkinator on Tue Jun 7 13:03:32 2022
    On Tuesday, 7 June 2022 at 18:06:22 UTC+2, welkinator wrote:
    <2007aus...@gmail.com> wrote:

And Thank You! This was explicit enough for me to get Eudora working
    again. (Gmail didn't fail me until today - the 7th).

Cheers, Mate!
    Thank you for the info on how to configure Eudora using the Google App password JillB. It worked flawlessly for me too. I was worried I'd have to give up Eudora which I was loathe to do!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dennis Lee Bieber@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 7 16:53:50 2022
    On Tue, 7 Jun 2022 09:05:41 -0700 (PDT), Ellen Clark <ellenclark@gmail.com> declaimed the following:

Jill - Also, when I sign into Gmail from my phone, will i need to use the app password, or the one I've always used, before I got the app PEW/ In other words, is the app password specific to the Eudora program and nothing else? I'm afraid to sign out
    of Gmail and try to get back in! Thank you.

Most likely the GMail "app", being provided by Google, uses Google's preferred OAuth2 (or whatever) security. Eudora and many older email
    clients weren't designed with OAuth2 -- and Google doesn't want email
    clients using you "direct" Google login information. Hence the "app
    password" (I really think they are causing more problems by calling it an
    "app" password -- to us old-timers "app" is something that runs black-boxed
    in Android/iPhone tablets and phone. On a general purpose computer where
    the use has access to everything, they are "application programs"/"email clients"/etc.).

Current versions of the Pandora email client have an option of OAuth2 (GMail compatible since v3.1, Yahoo compatible in 3.6.6), and would not
    need a separate "app password".
    http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/pandora.htm

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ignataz@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 7 14:47:13 2022
    Thank you for the info on how to configure Eudora using the Google App password JillB

Thanks from me too! Works surprisingly well, so far...

- Charles

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James Everett@21:1/5 to Jutta Uhr on Tue Jun 7 14:52:19 2022
    On Thursday, June 2, 2022 at 10:34:51 AM UTC-4, Jutta Uhr wrote:

Is there someone here who could help me do this configuration? I have used Eudora for 31+ years, and cannot imagine not being able to continue using it. But I do need some help setting this up, if anyone here is kind enough to help me. Thanks in advance!
    Jim Everett in South Carolina, USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Naim Liniger-Janmohamed@21:1/5 to James Everett on Tue Jun 7 22:07:04 2022
    On Tuesday, 7 June 2022 at 23:52:20 UTC+2, James Everett wrote:
    On Thursday, June 2, 2022 at 10:34:51 AM UTC-4, Jutta Uhr wrote:

Is there someone here who could help me do this configuration? I have used Eudora for 31+ years, and cannot imagine not being able to continue using it. But I do need some help setting this up, if anyone here is kind enough to help me. Thanks in
    advance! Jim Everett in South Carolina, USA
    Hi,
    First you need to set up 2 step verification:
    Login to your Gmail account and go to settings (the cogwheel on the right)
    Then to all settings
    There see 2 step verification.
    Follow the steps to set that up.
    Then Login again to your Gmail account by going to manage my account and to security on the left.
    Then go to Google app password and generate a password.
    Copy the password and save it wherever you save passwords.
    Open Eudora and tap on special and ask it to forget the password for your Gmail account.
    Then check mail and it will ask for a password.
    Paste the Google app password and tick the remember password box.
    That's it.
    Hope it works for you.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Donahue@21:1/5 to sydney.s...@gmail.com on Wed Jun 8 18:17:19 2022
    On Monday, October 24, 2016 at 8:26:37 PM UTC+11, sydney.s...@gmail.com wrote:
    I have had need recently to consider adding two-step authentication to my Google accounts. I access emails from these Google accounts using Eudora 7.1.0.9 and I found that when I did add two-step authentication, I could no longer check email. I got an
    error message with a google support link which gave feedback saying that I needed to allow less secure apps to access my log-in details but I could not allow less secure apps to log-in until I removed two-step authentication. So I am back to square one.
    I want to keep using POP and would like to keep using Eudora (though I fear it will not be compatible with future versions of Windows) but am also considering Thunderbird and while I have read that there is a way to allow Thunderbird to accept two-step
    authentication, I don't know whether it is possible with Eudora. Answers please!
    Cheers. Peter.
    What goes around, comes around. I posted this question six years ago and I obviously didn't get around to setting up two-factor authentication and an app password as recently I stopped receiving emails from two gmail accounts set up in Eudora. Eventually
    found my own question and saw the replies recently. Anyway I followed the instructions for all three gmail accounts and now I am back to normal so a huge thank you to all who replied.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ZetaByteMe@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 17 08:49:05 2022
    Is there any way to set this up without involving a cell phone? Google's process for setting up "two factor authentication" seems to insist on involving a text message. I do NOT want Google to know my cell phone number for any more than the one account
    that I do have attached to my cell. Any ideas to get around this? (I find it idiotic, since I am able to log in to my accounts via web mail, using ONLY the password I've always used.)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Naim Liniger-Janmohamed@21:1/5 to ZetaByteMe on Fri Jun 17 09:16:47 2022
    On Friday, 17 June 2022 at 17:49:07 UTC+2, ZetaByteMe wrote:
    Is there any way to set this up without involving a cell phone? Google's process for setting up "two factor authentication" seems to insist on involving a text message. I do NOT want Google to know my cell phone number for any more than the one account
    that I do have attached to my cell. Any ideas to get around this? (I find it idiotic, since I am able to log in to my accounts via web mail, using ONLY the password I've always used.)
    Sorry there isn't. To set up 2 stp verification the cell phone is needed and only after setting up 2 step verification can a Google password be generated so that you can use it on Eudora. Web mail works fine with just the password but for using Eudora
    the process is setting up 2 step verification and generating a Google password. I resisted that for a long time too for the same reason that I didn't want Google to have my phone number, but when Eudora stopped working I had to decide which one I wanted more!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dennis Lee Bieber@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 17 20:57:06 2022
    On Fri, 17 Jun 2022 08:49:05 -0700 (PDT), ZetaByteMe <chazedw@gmail.com> declaimed the following:

The "web mail" you mention is a Google provided system running in a browser, Google considers that a "trusted system" and uses your Google
    account credentials. Applications that are not hosted by Google are to use OAUTH2 authentication (not available in Eudora) OR a Google-generated (IE:
    some ugly random string of text) app-specific password.

Based on the help screen for 2FA, you /can/ receive a voice message with the code -- so if you have a land-line phone number you could provide that. https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185839#zippy=%2Cuse-a-verification-code-from-a-text-message-or-call

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Cowell@21:1/5 to Jutta Uhr on Mon Jul 18 15:28:13 2022
    On Thursday, 2 June 2022 at 15:34:51 UTC+1, Jutta Uhr wrote:

********** Yippee!!!! It works!!! Thank you so much! **************************

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05