• Need Eudora Install Package

From gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 16 10:27:42 2021
    My computer stopped working and I can't access the old hard drive at the moment. I have some backups of the enter Eudora directory, but I'd like to keep those as last resorts to avoid mixing old emails with new emails and having to fold in the "recent"
    emails that aren't in the backups.

So to start, I'd like to get an installation of Eudora up and running. Any good sources for that? I've found some sites on the web, but I don't know which ones are merged with spyware or worse.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    - Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From jetjock@21:1/5 to gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com on Sun Oct 17 09:48:08 2021
    On Sat, 16 Oct 2021 10:27:42 -0700 (PDT), "gnuarm.del...@gmail.com" <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote:

My computer stopped working and I can't access the old hard drive at the moment. I have some backups of the enter Eudora directory, but I'd like to keep those as last resorts to avoid mixing old emails with new emails and having to fold in the "recent"

So to start, I'd like to get an installation of Eudora up and running. Any good sources for that? I've found some sites on the web, but I don't know which ones are merged with spyware or worse.

>>>>>>>>>>jetjock<<<<<<<<<<

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jetjock@21:1/5 to gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com on Sun Oct 17 09:53:12 2021
    On Sat, 16 Oct 2021 10:27:42 -0700 (PDT), "gnuarm.del...@gmail.com" <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote:

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jetjock@21:1/5 to gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com on Sun Oct 17 09:51:56 2021

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DaveH2@21:1/5 to gnuarm.del...@gmail.com on Sun Oct 17 11:00:01 2021
    On Saturday, 16 October 2021 at 18:27:43 UTC+1, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:

--

Rick C.

I would recommend using the Hermes installer. https://sourceforge.net/projects/hermesmail/
    It's a slightly updated version of Eudora 7.1 with updated certificates, and more importantly an update to enable it to connect to mail servers using TLS v1.2, which is now becoming mandatory on many mail servers.
    When running the installer, always select that you're doing a new installation, not an update, even if you are doing an update!
    HTH. Cheers, Dave.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com@21:1/5 to dav...@sky.com on Sun Oct 17 12:14:27 2021
    On Sunday, October 17, 2021 at 2:00:02 PM UTC-4, dav...@sky.com wrote:
    My computer stopped working and I can't access the old hard drive at the moment. I have some backups of the enter Eudora directory, but I'd like to keep those as last resorts to avoid mixing old emails with new emails and having to fold in the "
    recent" emails that aren't in the backups.

--

Rick C.

I would recommend using the Hermes installer. https://sourceforge.net/projects/hermesmail/
    It's a slightly updated version of Eudora 7.1 with updated certificates, and more importantly an update to enable it to connect to mail servers using TLS v1.2, which is now becoming mandatory on many mail servers.
    When running the installer, always select that you're doing a new installation, not an update, even if you are doing an update!

Thanks for the advice. If I install the Hermes version, will I be able to copy all my files from the old Eudora directory such as the .ini file and the email files? Or will I need to manually configure everything from scratch?

One of my big concerns is getting the connections to my mail hosts working again. When they work it's all good, but when it breaks there's no real help. Last time I changed hosting providers we couldn't get the connection to the mail server working.
    They threw up their hands saying Eudora is not supported. Eventually I found it to be a password error which was reported as something entirely different. Try asking hosting support if that was because of the messages sent by the server or Eudora not
    understanding!!!

Email is so vital to my business. I've thought of switching to Google, but that has it's own set of risks. I literally have no idea of how to back up anything under Gmail and they only provide a limited amount of storage, but I suppose you can buy
    more.

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    + Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DaveH2@21:1/5 to gnuarm.del...@gmail.com on Sun Oct 17 15:46:06 2021
    On Sunday, 17 October 2021 at 20:14:28 UTC+1, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
    My computer stopped working and I can't access the old hard drive at the moment. I have some backups of the enter Eudora directory, but I'd like to keep those as last resorts to avoid mixing old emails with new emails and having to fold in the "

--

Rick C.

Thanks for the advice. If I install the Hermes version, will I be able to copy all my files from the old Eudora directory such as the .ini file and the email files? Or will I need to manually configure everything from scratch?

One of my big concerns is getting the connections to my mail hosts working again. When they work it's all good, but when it breaks there's no real help. Last time I changed hosting providers we couldn't get the connection to the mail server working.
    They threw up their hands saying Eudora is not supported. Eventually I found it to be a password error which was reported as something entirely different. Try asking hosting support if that was because of the messages sent by the server or Eudora not
    understanding!!!

Email is so vital to my business. I've thought of switching to Google, but that has it's own set of risks. I literally have no idea of how to back up anything under Gmail and they only provide a limited amount of storage, but I suppose you can buy more.

You should be able to copy the old eudora.ini file, and the old mailbox files, across to the new installation (with Eudora closed of course!) as long as the path to those files is the same as it was on the old system. When you run the installer it should
    ask you where you want the program files and data files to be. If you mirror your old installation's paths on the new system, that should work fine, and Eudora should look and behave exactly as before.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com@21:1/5 to dav...@sky.com on Sun Oct 17 18:08:29 2021
    On Sunday, October 17, 2021 at 6:46:07 PM UTC-4, dav...@sky.com wrote:

--

Rick C.

understanding!!!

Email is so vital to my business. I've thought of switching to Google, but that has it's own set of risks. I literally have no idea of how to back up anything under Gmail and they only provide a limited amount of storage, but I suppose you can buy
    more.

You should be able to copy the old eudora.ini file, and the old mailbox files, across to the new installation (with Eudora closed of course!) as long as the path to those files is the same as it was on the old system. When you run the installer it
    should ask you where you want the program files and data files to be. If you mirror your old installation's paths on the new system, that should work fine, and Eudora should look and behave exactly as before.

Ok, once I get a USB case to put the hard drive in I'll give that a run. My laptop works ok, but the power input has crapped out. With only minutes of battery life left, not enough to be at all certain of getting the important files onto a USB drive.
    I think it is better to just punt and get the drive case. I'm in Puerto Rico which has fewer places to find computer gear and none of them seem to have these cases. I'm headed back to the states Tuesday, so I'll pick up a couple there. Two different
    brands to raise the confidence level of one working with this particular drive. I wish I didn't need to wait.

--

Rick C.

-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    -- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DaveH2@21:1/5 to gnuarm.del...@gmail.com on Mon Oct 18 07:36:52 2021
    On Monday, 18 October 2021 at 02:08:30 UTC+1, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Sunday, October 17, 2021 at 6:46:07 PM UTC-4, dav...@sky.com wrote:

--

Rick C.

understanding!!!

more.

You should be able to copy the old eudora.ini file, and the old mailbox files, across to the new installation (with Eudora closed of course!) as long as the path to those files is the same as it was on the old system. When you run the installer it
    should ask you where you want the program files and data files to be. If you mirror your old installation's paths on the new system, that should work fine, and Eudora should look and behave exactly as before.
    Ok, once I get a USB case to put the hard drive in I'll give that a run. My laptop works ok, but the power input has crapped out. With only minutes of battery life left, not enough to be at all certain of getting the important files onto a USB drive. I
    think it is better to just punt and get the drive case. I'm in Puerto Rico which has fewer places to find computer gear and none of them seem to have these cases. I'm headed back to the states Tuesday, so I'll pick up a couple there. Two different brands
    to raise the confidence level of one working with this particular drive. I wish I didn't need to wait.

--

Rick C.

-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    -- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
    Good luck!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 25 00:46:35 2021
    Rather than installing Eudora from scratch, I copied two folders from the old drive to the new. One is the Eudora folder under Program Files (x86). The other is the "data" folder, again called Eudora from under user name/AppData. I thought this
    would be adequate, but I suppose something in the registry needs to be touched. Running Eudora.exe gives the error, "Can not start Eudora the first time with attachments. Please start Eudora by double clicking the Eudora icon or by the command line."

When I try to run Eudora from a command line I get the same error.

I suppose this means just what it says? I don't have an icon, but I suppose they mean the one created when running the installation. So am I stuck with installing Eudora then trying to patch files by trial and error? I find Eudora to not be very
    forgiving with the mailbox access setup and there are enough variables with very little feedback about errors so it can be a hugely frustrating process to get it working.

I've moved Eudora to new machines many times and I don't recall ever having to install from scratch. But it's been some years now and I just don't recall the details anymore.

--

Rick C.

-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    -+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gp@rr.com@21:1/5 to gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com on Mon Oct 25 06:17:11 2021
    On Mon, 25 Oct 2021 00:46:35 -0700 (PDT), "gnuarm.del...@gmail.com" <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote:

Rather than installing Eudora from scratch, I copied two folders from the old drive to the new. One is the Eudora folder under Program Files (x86). The other is the "data" folder, again called Eudora from under user name/AppData. I thought this
    would be adequate, but I suppose something in the registry needs to be touched. Running Eudora.exe gives the error, "Can not start Eudora the first time with attachments. Please start Eudora by double clicking the Eudora icon or by the command line."

When I try to run Eudora from a command line I get the same error.

I suppose this means just what it says? I don't have an icon, but I suppose they mean the one created when running the installation. So am I stuck with installing Eudora then trying to patch files by trial and error? I find Eudora to not be very
    forgiving with the mailbox access setup and there are enough variables with very little feedback about errors so it can be a hugely frustrating process to get it working.

I've moved Eudora to new machines many times and I don't recall ever having to install from scratch. But it's been some years now and I just don't recall the details anymore.

I also just copy my Eudora to new computers.

One trick you have to sure and use the right "Target" in your Desktop
    Shortcut for Eudora to open. In my case my Eudora is on my E: drive
    and my target command is:

E:\eudora7\Eudora.exe "E:\eudora7\rr"

I always have at least 2 HDs in all my computers and I never put
    Eudora on C:. If you are moving it from a Win 7 to a Win 10 computer,
    then Windows 10 will not necessary allow you to use the old Folder
    that you use to Use, especially if you try to put it C: drive. On my
    one computer that only has a C: in Windows 10, I put Eudora in a new
    folder that I created on C: and not in the Program folder.

I also am running the latest HERMES update by the way. Also I don't
    try to let Win 10 launch Eudora. I think you have to do an install to
    get that function to work. There are lots of other tips in this news
    group on how to move and Reinstall Eudora in Windows 10.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 25 09:01:30 2021
    I found the solution with a bit of Googling. Turns out I had the same problem when I ported Eudora to the machine that just broke. Here are the steps to move Eudora between machines by simple copying. My installation puts the Eudora installed files
    under C:\Program Files (x86)\Eudora, but the data files under C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Eudora for ease of backup. A line in the deudora.ini file points to the data directory, "DataFolder=C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Eudora". The problem seen after doing
    the copy is due to the executable not having enough info to find the data directory for some reason. The path must be provided on the command line as shown below in the configuration of the desktop icon.

1. Copy contents of C:\Program Files (x86)\Eudora\ directory to same place on new machine.

2. Copy contents of C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Eudora directory to same place on new machine, adjusted for new user name if needed.

3. If user name has changed, edit deudora.ini changing path in "DataFolder=" to point to the directory in step 2 above.

4. This is the tricky one I keep forgetting and causes the error "Cannot start Eudora the first time with attachments." The shortcut has to be edited to add the data directory as a parameter to the command like this...

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Eudora\Eudora.exe" "C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Eudora"

No need to change the "Start in" directory as that will point to the deudora.ini file although I'm not sure what good that does since it isn't sufficient to point Eudora to the data directory.

Anyway, these steps got my Eudora working under Win 10. I'm posting this here for my own use if nothing else. This should show up in Google searches in the future as it did this time. :) This reminds me of the movie "Memento" where the guy with no
    short term recall has to give himself tattoos to remember important things. c.m.e.m is my tattoo parlor. LOL

--

Rick C.

+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    +- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05