• EUDORA IN BOX DOES NOT GET UPDATED WITH NEW EMAILS

From MJ FEIN@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 13 21:19:18 2021
    I HAVE BEEN USING EUDORA FOR ABOUT 20 YEARS WITH MUCH SUCCESS.

WITHIN LAST WEEK I CONTINUE TO RECEIVE THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE WHENEVER EUDORA OPENS...

could not read from file. c:\eudora\data\in.mbx cause: file already exists (17)

THE RESULT IS THAT WHEN EUDORA GOES OUT TO THE SERVER TO RETRIVE MAIL THE MAIL IT RETRIEVES IS NOT PLACED IN THE IN BOX. SO I DO NOT GET TO SEE ANY NEW EMAIL MESSAGES.

CAN ANYONE HELP ? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From DaveH2@21:1/5 to MJ FEIN on Wed Jul 14 04:17:52 2021
    On Wednesday, 14 July 2021 at 05:19:19 UTC+1, MJ FEIN wrote:

WITHIN LAST WEEK I CONTINUE TO RECEIVE THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE WHENEVER EUDORA OPENS...

THE RESULT IS THAT WHEN EUDORA GOES OUT TO THE SERVER TO RETRIVE MAIL THE MAIL IT RETRIEVES IS NOT PLACED IN THE IN BOX. SO I DO NOT GET TO SEE ANY NEW EMAIL MESSAGES.

Presumably all your other mailboxes are OK and you can see and read the messages in them?
    If you can see the inbox and read any messages already in it, I would try moving them all temporarily to another mailbox.
    Then (with Eudora closed of course) go to the c:\eudora\data folder using Windows Explorer, and delete the two files called in.mbx and in.toc and when you've done that run Eudora again. The files should be recreated, and hopefully will then be OK.
    You can then move the messages you temporarily moved out of the inbox back into it if you want.
    HTH. Cheers, Dave.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MJ FEIN@21:1/5 to dav...@sky.com on Wed Jul 14 22:25:36 2021
    On Wednesday, July 14, 2021 at 7:17:53 AM UTC-4, dav...@sky.com wrote:

Presumably all your other mailboxes are OK and you can see and read the messages in them?
    If you can see the inbox and read any messages already in it, I would try moving them all temporarily to another mailbox.
    Then (with Eudora closed of course) go to the c:\eudora\data folder using Windows Explorer, and delete the two files called in.mbx and in.toc and when you've done that run Eudora again. The files should be recreated, and hopefully will then be OK.
    You can then move the messages you temporarily moved out of the inbox back into it if you want.
    HTH. Cheers, Dave.

Thank you Dave. Yes my other mailboxes are all fine. So I assume, with Eudora closed, I can rename the in.mbx and the in.toc files rather than delete them. Then I can run Eudora and it will create a new in.mbx file and a new in.toc file. I assume the
    in.mbx will just contain emails from today forward. If I want to move the messages from the renamed in.mbx file, how do I do that? And do I need to create a new in.toc file after I move the messages in or does Eudora build a new in.toc automatically?
    Thank you Dave. Your help is much appreciated. Regards, Larry

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From DaveH2@21:1/5 to MJ FEIN on Thu Jul 15 04:52:51 2021
    On Thursday, 15 July 2021 at 06:25:37 UTC+1, MJ FEIN wrote:
    On Wednesday, July 14, 2021 at 7:17:53 AM UTC-4, dav...@sky.com wrote:

HTH. Cheers, Dave.
    Thank you Dave. Yes my other mailboxes are all fine. So I assume, with Eudora closed, I can rename the in.mbx and the in.toc files rather than delete them. Then I can run Eudora and it will create a new in.mbx file and a new in.toc file. I assume the
    in.mbx will just contain emails from today forward. If I want to move the messages from the renamed in.mbx file, how do I do that? And do I need to create a new in.toc file after I move the messages in or does Eudora build a new in.toc automatically?
    Thank you Dave. Your help is much appreciated. Regards, Larry

Yes, you can rename the files instead of deleting them, in fact that is probably safer in case anything goes wrong, although you should be able to get them back from the recycle bin even if they were deleted of course.
    Assuming your original inbox is still working you should be able to drag and drop messages from it into another mailbox. Perhaps create a new temporary one to avoid any confusion and put them all in that.
    I'm assuming that you haven't got a huge number of messages sitting in your existing inbox. If you have, that could be the cause of the problem, as Eudora will start misbehaving if the system mailboxes (in, out, junk, and trash) become too large.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05