• Eudora problem upon opening

From ijones@jejejeje.it@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 16 12:29:49 2021
    Hi, I use Eudora 7.1 and sometimes I get a problem when I open Eudora. Fortunately I get this problem once or twice a month, but always. I
    need to re-install Eudora on the old Eudora and the problem
    disappears.
    I attach you a pic: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9xkovn5iqrwbp7w/Eudora%20problem.JPG?dl=0
    How can I solve?
    Thank you

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dennis Lee Bieber@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 16 11:53:19 2021
    On Wed, 16 Jun 2021 12:29:49 +0200, ijones@jejejeje.it declaimed the
    following:

Hi, I use Eudora 7.1 and sometimes I get a problem when I open Eudora. >Fortunately I get this problem once or twice a month, but always. I
    disappears.

This has been described earlier this week.. Copying from my response to that message:

That problem has always had an easy solution...

Tools/Options/Extra Warnings
    UNCHECK Start Eudora and it's not the default mailer

and use the Windows control panel for default application to select Eudora >for email.

And don't try to enable MAPI...

Starting, as I recall, with Win7, and definitely in Win10, M$ MOVED the default application registry entries. Eudora writes its "default" to the
    old location which doesn't work to change default application, and may even
    be purged by Windows during updates or as some regular background function. Running the installer is Admin mode, and has access to that old protected location. When it gets purged, Eudora will pop up the above message because User mode accounts do not have write access to that old location (it was, I believe, a system wide -- all accounts -- location, the new default app location is, I believe, for each user).

--
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
    wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ijones@jejejeje.it@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 17 08:08:15 2021
    Hi Dennis, maybe I don't understand you well.
    The config. of Eudora is OK.
    In fact I already have "Start Eudora and it's not the default mailer" unchecked.
    Then I went on the Windows control panel and I have Eudora as the
    default app. Look at the pic please: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4n66hjk7z9ths2l/Eudora%20Probl..JPG?dl=0
    But despite all of this I get that problem.
    Thanks for yoyr help.

Hi, I use Eudora 7.1 and sometimes I get a problem when I open Eudora. >>Fortunately I get this problem once or twice a month, but always. I
    disappears.

This has been described earlier this week.. Copying from my response to
    that message:

That problem has always had an easy solution...

Tools/Options/Extra Warnings
    UNCHECK Start Eudora and it's not the default mailer

and use the Windows control panel for default application to select Eudora >>for email.

And don't try to enable MAPI...

Starting, as I recall, with Win7, and definitely in Win10, M$ MOVED the
    default application registry entries. Eudora writes its "default" to the
    old location which doesn't work to change default application, and may even >be purged by Windows during updates or as some regular background function. >Running the installer is Admin mode, and has access to that old protected >location. When it gets purged, Eudora will pop up the above message because >User mode accounts do not have write access to that old location (it was, I >believe, a system wide -- all accounts -- location, the new default app >location is, I believe, for each user).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05