• 550 Sender verify failed

From gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 24 13:15:57 2021
    I have a persona which is used for sending email from a particular address. My understanding is the login is done with the data in the User Name field. I made a change to the Email Address field to adjust the name in the return address and now I get a
    550 error on trying to send the email. When I undo that change it works ok again.

There is no account with the email address, that's just for the return address. So what is going on that changing it alters the authentication? I did the same thing to another persona a couple of days ago and it worked fine.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dennis Lee Bieber@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 24 18:29:44 2021
    On Mon, 24 May 2021 13:15:57 -0700 (PDT), "gnuarm.del...@gmail.com" <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> declaimed the following:

I have a persona which is used for sending email from a particular address. My understanding is the login is done with the data in the User Name field. I made a change to the Email Address field to adjust the name in the return address and now I get a
    550 error on trying to send the email. When I undo that change it works ok again.

There is no account with the email address, that's just for the return address. So what is going on that changing it alters the authentication? I did the same thing to another persona a couple of days ago and it worked fine.

If there is no account with that address, it should be configured to use the relay personality for sending. The no-account address will appear
    in the FROM header, but the actual SMTP server connection will be that of
    the relay.

User name and SMTP server can be left blank, so long as "use relay" is set (and you have defined one of the personalities as the relay
    personality.

--
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
    wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com@21:1/5 to gnuarm.del...@gmail.com on Mon Nov 8 10:33:58 2021
    On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 4:15:58 PM UTC-4, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:

I need to make notes here when I fix problems so I can find the solution when I have the same problem again.

I lost a machine, but have the hard drive. I've been setting up two other machines with my data, but one of those crapped out too, so another setup and I'm getting the error on sending email, "550 SMTP AUTH is required for message submission on port 587"
    . I'm sure my service provider indicated I needed to use that port to send email. If I turn off the use of port 587 I get an error saying "550 relay through this server without authentication".

Anyone up to speed on this?

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    - Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com@21:1/5 to gnuarm.del...@gmail.com on Mon Nov 8 14:40:04 2021
    On Monday, November 8, 2021 at 6:21:00 PM UTC-4, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Monday, November 8, 2021 at 2:33:59 PM UTC-4, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
    I have a persona which is used for sending email from a particular address. My understanding is the login is done with the data in the User Name field. I made a change to the Email Address field to adjust the name in the return address and now I
    get a 550 error on trying to send the email. When I undo that change it works ok again.

I need to make notes here when I fix problems so I can find the solution when I have the same problem again.

I lost a machine, but have the hard drive. I've been setting up two other machines with my data, but one of those crapped out too, so another setup and I'm getting the error on sending email, "550 SMTP AUTH is required for message submission on port
    587". I'm sure my service provider indicated I needed to use that port to send email. If I turn off the use of port 587 I get an error saying "550 relay through this server without authentication".

Finally got to the root cause. There is something about copying the Eudora installation between two computers that makes the password not work. For some bizarre reason it manifests as the above error rather than saying the password was not accepted. I
    don't recall what parameter I changed in the setup that triggered a prompt for a new password, but that fixed it. In my other email personalities I simply used the menu to force a prompt for a new password and that fixed those.

I'm still having a problem with reading email, but that's likely because the advice from my ISP screwed it up. If had had written down the values changed I could get it all working again. lol

Yup! I removed the port 995 they told me to use for POP3 and let it default to 110 and it's reading again. However, now the send doesn't verify once more... oh, bother! They guy "helping" me wrote back asking if I actually used the settings he
    provided. That's just the sort of help I need.

--

Rick C.

-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    -- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com@21:1/5 to gnuarm.del...@gmail.com on Mon Nov 8 14:20:59 2021
    On Monday, November 8, 2021 at 2:33:59 PM UTC-4, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
    I have a persona which is used for sending email from a particular address. My understanding is the login is done with the data in the User Name field. I made a change to the Email Address field to adjust the name in the return address and now I get
    a 550 error on trying to send the email. When I undo that change it works ok again.

I lost a machine, but have the hard drive. I've been setting up two other machines with my data, but one of those crapped out too, so another setup and I'm getting the error on sending email, "550 SMTP AUTH is required for message submission on port
    587". I'm sure my service provider indicated I needed to use that port to send email. If I turn off the use of port 587 I get an error saying "550 relay through this server without authentication".

Finally got to the root cause. There is something about copying the Eudora installation between two computers that makes the password not work. For some bizarre reason it manifests as the above error rather than saying the password was not accepted. I
    don't recall what parameter I changed in the setup that triggered a prompt for a new password, but that fixed it. In my other email personalities I simply used the menu to force a prompt for a new password and that fixed those.

I'm still having a problem with reading email, but that's likely because the advice from my ISP screwed it up. If had had written down the values changed I could get it all working again. lol

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    + Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Nov 11 10:40:52 2021
    I've got it now.

If you choose non-SSL/TLS option, then you can use the settings given below:

Incoming Server: mail.arius.com
    IMAP Port: 143
    POP3 Port: 110
    Outgoing Server: mail.arius.com
    SMTP Port: 587

The error message was "550 SMTP AUTH is required for message submission on port 587" which is actually a result of a problem with the password. Forcing the password to be forgotten fixes this error. There must be something about moving the files
    between machines that mucks up the remembered passwords. Eudora doesn't seem to know the passwords are not correct or missing and proceeds without informing you. The error presented is rather oblique, sending me on a days long hunt to find my very own
    posts about it in the ever winnowing support for Eudora. Reminds me of the movie Memento.

I also discovered that a new laptop does not have an Ethernet jack... Just two USB-A, one USB-C and an HDMI, not even an SD card slot! Man, they were really counting the pennies on this one.

--

Rick C.

-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    -+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05