• Sending EAI mail with the sendmail command

From John Levine@21:1/5 to All on Sun May 23 01:29:40 2021
    If I'm sending mail in 8.17.0 with "sendmail -U" should I be able to put UTF-8 addresses on the command line?

I'm reasonably sure I have the addresses OK since the it works with postfix and exim.

Python-ized report of the error message:

b'Syntax error in mailbox address "\xe7\xff?\xa8\xe6\xff?\xb71@\xe5\xff?\xff?\xe7\xbc\xff?.services.net" (8-bit character)\nSyntax error in mailbox address "b\xc3\xb8b@\xe5\xae\xb6.\xe7\xff?\xb5\xe5\xad\xff?\xe9\xff?\xae\xe4\xbb\xb6\xe6\xb5\xff?\xe8\xaf\
    xff?.\xe4\xb8\xad\xe5\xff?\xbd" (8-bit character)\n/home/johnl/dead.letter... Saved message in /home/johnl/dead.letter\n64\n'

--
    Regards,
    John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
    Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. https://jl.ly

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Levine@21:1/5 to All on Sun May 23 02:39:58 2021
    Never mind, I realized I had to add this to submit.mc:

dnl turn on eai
    O SmtpUTF8=True

According to John Levine <johnl@taugh.com>:
    If I'm sending mail in 8.17.0 with "sendmail -U" should I be able to put UTF-8 addresses on the command line?

I'm reasonably sure I have the addresses OK since the it works with postfix and exim.

Python-ized report of the error message:

b'Syntax error in mailbox address "\xe7\xff?\xa8\xe6\xff?\xb71@\xe5\xff?\xff?\xe7\xbc\xff?.services.net" (8-bit character)\nSyntax
    error in mailbox address >"b\xc3\xb8b@\xe5\xae\xb6.\xe7\xff?\xb5\xe5\xad\xff?\xe9\xff?\xae\xe4\xbb\xb6\xe6\xb5\xff?\xe8\xaf\xff?.\xe4\xb8\xad\xe5\xff?\xbd"
    (8-bit character)\n/home/johnl/dead.letter... Saved message in /home/johnl/dead.letter\n64\n'

--
    Regards,
    John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

--
    Regards,

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Alex Haut@21:1/5 to John Levine on Wed May 26 09:58:43 2021
    On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 10:40:00 PM UTC-4, John Levine wrote:
    Never mind, I realized I had to add this to submit.mc:

dnl turn on eai
    O SmtpUTF8=True

You raise a good question. After built with EAI support, is there any option/flag on the .m4 files to turn EAI on via mc files, instead of the ole' edit of the .cf?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Claus =?iso-8859-1?Q?A=DFmann?= @21:1/5 to Alex Haut on Wed May 26 17:03:54 2021
    Alex Haut wrote:

You raise a good question. After built with EAI support, is there any option/flag on the .m4 files to turn EAI
    on via mc files, instead of the ole' edit of the .cf?

LOCAL_CONFIG
    O SmtpUTF8=True

--
    Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never
    reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous
    article(s) at the end because it's annoying, shows that the poster
    is too lazy to trim his article, and it's wasting the time of all readers.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05