• New Mail Notifications Again

From Chime Hart@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 29 17:45:14 2021
    Especially for Edwardo or any1 eles experience this? Several months ago I mentioned inconsistancies with the "new mail" notifications. What happens some times, I am in an index of nearly 80 messages, useing an aggregate command to mark messages for deletion. Meanwhile like this morning, an index advances by 1 number without any beep or announcement. In addition, there are times when new mail arrives, just says, "sorting inbox" I get mail from an smtp connection to fastmail. And while I am quite happy with "new mail on quitting" it would be great if it would announce how many new items came in. Thanks so much in advance.
    Chime

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Eduardo Chappa@21:1/5 to Chime Hart on Mon Nov 29 21:45:06 2021
    On Mon, 29 Nov 2021, Chime Hart wrote:

Especially for Edwardo or any1 eles experience this? Several months ago I mentioned inconsistancies with the "new mail" notifications. What happens some times, I am in an index of nearly 80 messages, useing an aggregate command to mark messages for deletion. Meanwhile like this morning, an index advances by 1 number without any beep or announcement. In addition, there are times when new mail arrives, just says, "sorting inbox" I get mail from an smtp connection to fastmail. And while I am quite happy with "new mail on quitting" it would be great if it would announce how many new items came in.

Dear Chime,

Alpine typically announces new mail when it arrives, so I would be interested in knowing situations in which it does not. It seems you are
    saying that Alpine does not announce new mail when the folder is sorted,
    and instead of seeing a new mail announcement you see a "sorting" message.
    Is that correct?

My hunch is that you might be missing the new mail announcement when you press a key at the time that the new mail announcement is printed in the screen. Could that explain what you are seeing?

Also, Alpine tells you the number of new messages that have arrived
    since the last keystroke your pressed, that is, if you, say, go have a cup
    of tea, when you come back to Alpine you will see the number of new
    messages that arrived since the time you left, but as soon as you press a
    key that counter will reset to 0, so you will start seeing an announcement
    for each new message without regard to the number of new messages that
    arrived while you were away. Does this make sense?

In any case, if you find a way to reliably reproduce that the issue you
    are reporting, please send me a list of steps I can use to reproduce the
    issue and I will be happy to fix that.

Thank you.

--
    Eduardo
    https://tinyurl.com/yc377wlh (web)
    http://repo.or.cz/alpine.git (Git)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chime Hart@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 30 15:11:51 2021
    Thank you Eduardo: And also, thanks for your willingness to look in to these inconsistancies. 1 item you confused in my request, when you enable "check new mail on quitting" it will announce, "new mail just arrived, do you still want to exit" Well, why couldn't it announce how many new items came in as it does in many other cases?
    Now, otherwise your explanations may make sense, but just guessing, maybe it depends on how you are sorting messages? I am wondering if there are either trace or debug files I can run tomorrow morning, while mail is wildly arriving? I could then write you off-line with an url to grab them? It would be nice if such a file would also show a control+g when the bell rings. Actually, I rather wish I could root that bell to a sound-card, as the beep program in Debian SID has no way of ajusting the volume. Thanks so much in advance
    Chime

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From William Unruh@21:1/5 to Chime Hart on Wed Dec 1 02:06:44 2021
    On 2021-11-30, Chime Hart <chime@hubert-humphrey.com> wrote:
    Thank you Eduardo: And also, thanks for your willingness to look in to these inconsistancies. 1 item you confused in my request, when you enable "check new
    mail on quitting" it will announce, "new mail just arrived, do you still want to exit" Well, why couldn't it announce how many new items came in as it does
    in many other cases?

Have you gotten more than one new mail in those cases?His explanation
    seemed to suggest that when you are using pine, you will get
    announcements one at a time, not cumulative.

Now, otherwise your explanations may make sense, but just guessing, maybe it depends on how you are sorting messages? I am wondering if there are either trace or debug files I can run tomorrow morning, while mail is wildly arriving?
    I could then write you off-line with an url to grab them? It would be nice if such a file would also show a control+g when the bell rings. Actually, I rather
    wish I could root that bell to a sound-card, as the beep program in Debian SID
    has no way of ajusting the volume. Thanks so much in advance
    Chime

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chime Hart@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 30 21:15:37 2021
    Hi William: While in an inbox in Alpine, yes, I either get notifications of a single message or "3 new messages, most recently from" What I was also referring to is when I quit Alpine, it mentions that new mail arrived, but doesn't say how many.
    Chime

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eduardo Chappa@21:1/5 to Chime Hart on Fri Dec 3 21:27:59 2021
    On Tue, 30 Nov 2021, Chime Hart wrote:

Hi William: While in an inbox in Alpine, yes, I either get notifications of a single message or "3 new messages, most recently from" What I was also referring to is when I quit Alpine, it mentions that new mail arrived, but doesn't say how many.

Dear Chime, I have added this to Alpine and is available in the git
    repository now or you will see it in the next release of Alpine.

Thank you.

--
    Eduardo
    https://tinyurl.com/yc377wlh (web)
    http://repo.or.cz/alpine.git (Git)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05