• Apparent Issue with Administrator Privileges

From Walsh, Ginny (US)@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 18 18:19:20 2022
    Hello-

I've been struggling with resolving environmental variables issues and I believe it is linked to my company's administrator privileges. The program is called ChemPlugin and I am attempting to run it using Python 3.10.8 on Windows. I can't seem to get
    Python to recognize the PYTHONPATH that points to the ChemPlugin\src. I have to download ChemPlugin using my administrator login name, but Python is loaded to my local user profile. I can't seem to bridge the gap.

I have been working with both the ChemPlugin group and our internal IT and we are all stumped. Is there any experience with this issue?

Thanks,

Ginny

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Thomas Passin@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 18 16:09:31 2022
    Looking at the ChemPlugin site, it looks like by default it would
    install into "C:\Program Files". Typically ordinary users do not have
    full privileges there, although they may have read privileges. If this
    is the case, either you would need to run it in an elevated
    (adminstrator) session, or try to reinstall it somewhere you do have privileges. You probably need to have write privileges too, since
    Python will try to write its compiled files into the same tree (but
    these files may have been created during installation so possibly not an issue). Re-installing it might require moving the license as well.

Note that I have never used this product, so I don't have any personal experience about it to call on.

On 10/18/2022 2:19 PM, Walsh, Ginny (US) wrote:
    Hello-

I've been struggling with resolving environmental variables issues and I believe it is linked to my company's administrator privileges. The program is called ChemPlugin and I am attempting to run it using Python 3.10.8 on Windows. I can't seem to get
    Python to recognize the PYTHONPATH that points to the ChemPlugin\src. I have to download ChemPlugin using my administrator login name, but Python is loaded to my local user profile. I can't seem to bridge the gap.

I have been working with both the ChemPlugin group and our internal IT and we are all stumped. Is there any experience with this issue?

Thanks,

Ginny

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Schwartz@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 18 14:51:15 2022
    Is PYTHONPATH a user defined environment variable or system defined environment variable?

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 18, 2022, at 1:56 PM, Walsh, Ginny (US) <walshg@battelle.org> wrote:

Hello-

Thanks,

Ginny
    --
    https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Thomas Passin@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 18 17:35:22 2022
    Glad there has been progress! What do you mean when you write "Python
    not recognizing the script calls"? I can think of several meanings, and
    there are probably more that haven't occurred to me:

1. The plugin doesn't import;
    2. The plugin imports but you can't actually use the imported classes
    and functions;
    3. You are trying to run a ChemPlugin Python program (outside of Python)
    but it can't be found;
    4. You are trying to run a ChemPlugin batch file (outside of Python) but
    it can't be found;
    5. Your Python program is trying to run a ChemPlugin Python or batch
    file but that fails;

On 10/18/2022 5:12 PM, Walsh, Ginny (US) wrote:
    Thank you for the feedback- I think with the change in the location to my user area at least one hurdle has been overcome, I can now see ChemPlugin when I print listdir. I immediately hit the next issue of Python not recognizing the script calls, but
    this is my first hint of success in 3 days.

Thanks again, I'll start troubleshooting the next obstacle now

-----Original Message-----
    From: Python-list <python-list-bounces+walshg=battelle.org@python.org> On Behalf Of Thomas Passin
    Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2022 3:10 PM
    To: python-list@python.org
    Subject: Re: Apparent Issue with Administrator Privileges

[ Message received from outside the Battelle network. Carefully examine it before you open any links or attachments ]

Looking at the ChemPlugin site, it looks like by default it would install into "C:\Program Files". Typically ordinary users do not have full privileges there, although they may have read privileges. If this is the case, either you would need to run it
    in an elevated
    (adminstrator) session, or try to reinstall it somewhere you do have privileges. You probably need to have write privileges too, since Python will try to write its compiled files into the same tree (but these files may have been created during
    installation so possibly not an issue). Re-installing it might require moving the license as well.

Note that I have never used this product, so I don't have any personal experience about it to call on.

On 10/18/2022 2:19 PM, Walsh, Ginny (US) wrote:
    Hello-

Thanks,

Ginny

-- https://urldefense.us/v3/__https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list__;!!KDPClUfJviaPOhR6OKx54WEM!PvDHZt2yzFoHwoii4ZobbVMYqZSCyKpT92uwP3ZIbVHf0LB5pttKbQw4QmRTJVvQ$

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05