• Python scripts in .exe form

From Mona Lee@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 19 14:07:03 2022
    I'm pretty new to Python, and I had to do some tinkering because I was running into issues with trying to download a package from PIP and must've caused some issues in my program that I don't know how to fix

1. It started when I was unable to update PIP to the newest version because of some "Unknown error" (VS Code error - unable to read file - (Unknown(FileSystemError) where I believe some file was not saved in the right location?

2. In my command line on VS code there used to be the prefix that looked something like "PS C:\Users\[name]>" but now it is "PS C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.10_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python310\
    Scripts>

From there I redownloaded my VS code but still have the 2) issue.

also, my scripts are now in the .exe form that I cannot access because "it is either binary or in a unsupported text encoding" I've tried to extract it back into the .py form using pyinstxtractor and decompile-python3 but I can't successfully work these.

3. also wanted to mention that some of my old Python programs are missing.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Jim Schwartz@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 20 08:25:01 2022
    What method did you use to create the exe file from your python scripts? If it was pyinstaller, then it puts the compiled versions of these python scripts in a windows temp folder when you run them. You’ll be able to get the scripts from there.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 19, 2022, at 9:51 PM, Mona Lee <monamlee00@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm pretty new to Python, and I had to do some tinkering because I was running into issues with trying to download a package from PIP and must've caused some issues in my program that I don't know how to fix

1. It started when I was unable to update PIP to the newest version because of some "Unknown error" (VS Code error - unable to read file - (Unknown(FileSystemError) where I believe some file was not saved in the right location?

2. In my command line on VS code there used to be the prefix that looked something like "PS C:\Users\[name]>" but now it is "PS C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.10_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\
    Python310\Scripts>

also, my scripts are now in the .exe form that I cannot access because "it is either binary or in a unsupported text encoding" I've tried to extract it back into the .py form using pyinstxtractor and decompile-python3 but I can't successfully work
    these.

3. also wanted to mention that some of my old Python programs are missing.
    --
    https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Barry@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 20 23:04:46 2022
    On 20 Aug 2022, at 14:28, Jim Schwartz <jschwar@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

What method did you use to create the exe file from your python scripts? If it was pyinstaller, then it puts the compiled versions of these python scripts in a windows temp folder when you run them. You’ll be able to get the scripts from there.

The temp file is only for .dll files the python code is in a data block that is appended to the .exe stub.
    There are tools that can grab the appended dat and dump it out.
    Or atleast should be.

Barry

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 19, 2022, at 9:51 PM, Mona Lee <monamlee00@gmail.com> wrote:

2. In my command line on VS code there used to be the prefix that looked something like "PS C:\Users\[name]>" but now it is "PS C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.10_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\
    Python310\Scripts>

also, my scripts are now in the .exe form that I cannot access because "it is either binary or in a unsupported text encoding" I've tried to extract it back into the .py form using pyinstxtractor and decompile-python3 but I can't successfully work
    these.

3. also wanted to mention that some of my old Python programs are missing. >> --

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mona Lee@21:1/5 to Jim Schwartz on Sun Aug 21 20:21:15 2022
    I didn't create exe files they kind of just appeared I guess? Perhaps somewhere in the process of redownloading my python/visual studio?

My situation is similar to this person's description that I found online https://stackoverflow.com/questions/62315149/why-are-my-python-packages-being-installed-to-this-strange-folder

On Saturday, August 20, 2022 at 7:25:31 AM UTC-6, Jim Schwartz wrote:

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 19, 2022, at 9:51 PM, Mona Lee wrote:

Python310\Scripts>

these.

3. also wanted to mention that some of my old Python programs are missing. --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05